Looking to get a Garmin - which one? (Read 1095 times)

Scout7

The primary reason I got it was to be able to track distances when I was running, so I didn't have to have some pre-planned route if I was traveling. I still like to see the distance in races, but have found that, because I don't always run the tangents, and through natural error of the device, it can be somewhat misleading in longer races. In and of itself, not a problem. Just don't rely on that when you're on the cusp of hitting a BQ.

Marquess of Utopia

I have previously asked questions about HRM, Garmins (which ones to get) I broke down last night and ordered the 305, I really only wanted a HRM, but the ability to show your currect pace was also really nice. I have been thinking GPS would be nice but not necessary. I went with the 305 because I knew that eventually I would want all of those extra features. $179.99: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11239292

Half Fanatic #846

My only real problem is that if it does lose sat reception while on a run, it takes forever (or never) to pick it up again. During my last 2 maratons & my last ultra, I lost reception part of the way into the race (for no reason I could figure out) and never got it back... then again I use the watch in hundreds of days of training and racing each year so I guess statistically it loses signal pretty rarely.
        Nothing was more frustrating for me than to lose the GPS signal during a race. So, I recently bought a Garmin Forerunner 50 which uses a footpod (reportedly within 98% accuracy). Still learning how to use it, but I'll never lose the signal again! Big grin This is what works for me. Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

evtish

I have a 205 and I love it. I only wear it running and all I care about is real time pace & distance and ave pace/mile lap paces of my runs. I've found the distance to be very accurate. Haven't connected to the computer S/W yet to play around. If you don't want the heart rate monitor, this is a good choice. $150, free shipping at Amazon.
            So... I've had both the 305 & 405. I'm having some considerable distance accuracy issues with the 405 on different distances, different trails - all consistently off by about .05 to .1 miles. Depending on the distance... this is truly not ok. Working with Garmin support who says..."the 405 is 95% accurate". they seem to refuse to have any other response, even given another opportunity to step up Smile My brother on the east coast also has a 305 & 405 - same problem. My running partner who runs right next to me & starts & stops with me - is always at least .03 off from my time. Its really frustrating and clearly a firmware issue rather than a problem finding satellites....
            C-R

The primary reason I got it was to be able to track distances when I was running, so I didn't have to have some pre-planned route if I was traveling. I still like to see the distance in races, but have found that, because I don't always run the tangents, and through natural error of the device, it can be somewhat misleading in longer races. In and of itself, not a problem. Just don't rely on that when you're on the cusp of hitting a BQ.
              I just caught the beauty of my 305 in the past couple of runs. I just took off and ran with no care as to a route. Following my whims and fancy and not being constrained by a specified place. That freedom is really nice and makes training more fun. Didn't realize how much of a "ball and chain" my routes had created for me. Vive le 305! Scout - It looks like you've gone to dark. No doubt some clandestine national security issue. Good luck and godspeed.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

progman2000

+1 on the 305. Love it Love it Love it Smile