Foam Roller (When?) (Read 674 times)

The post on foam rollers got me thinking. (I know a rare event.) When should you use your roller? Right after running, before bed, in the morning, or it doesn't matter? And how often would you use it? Thanks!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

The post on foam rollers got me thinking. (I know a rare event.) When should you use your roller? Right after running, before bed, in the morning, or it doesn't matter? And how often would you use it? Thanks!
      Ooops... I already said this on the other thread, but: Per my PT I foam roll before warming up. A typical PT visit goes like this: massage - foam roll - stretch - strength train - ice. Per his advice, my pre-run warm goes like this: foam roll - warmup - stretch. After a long run, I will also foam roll before stretching. When something is injured, I'll foam roll just that muscle several times a day. On days when I'm not running, I do the foam roll routine whenever I get a chance, although I do feel much better during the day if I do it in the morning before heading for work. If I can't do that, I'll go to the gym at lunch sometimes and do it. Otherwise I feel like I'm getting all stiff during the day sitting at my desk.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

ud32

My PT guy said once all is well with an injury foam roll 2x-3x week for maintenance is plenty.