Hi! (Read 188 times)

WhoWouldvThunkIt

Hello all!  Just thought I'd introduce myself.  I am new to the forum.  I am 43 years old and outside of 1-2 mile running 2-3 times a week, I have not done much because I HATED it with a passion.    I have never had "the bug" so to speak.  13 weeks ago, I decided to set a goal to run a HM sometime in September.  I have been training for 13 weeks now.  I am up to a long run of 10 miles and weekly averages between 25-34 miles. I am running it all on a treadmill right now (no choice- long story) at an incline.  Been averaging about a 91/2 to 10 min mile.  I am excited, but really don't know the first thing about the sport.  I have good shoes and a good attitude and that "running bug" is setting in.  I guess that's a start Smile

Turbolegs

Welcome to the group here ..

Understandably, your welcome here might be muted given the tragedy from yesterday ..  i know i am still in partial denial ..

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

WhoWouldvThunkIt

Yes.  I guess an inappropriate time to post.  I am stuck in the middle of Afghanistan with no TV access and very limited internet time.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Yes.  I guess an inappropriate time to post.  I am stuck in the middle of Afghanistan with no TV access and very limited internet time.

Entirely appropriate time to post about getting into running.

+1.  Welcome to the running family.

Entirely appropriate time to post about getting into running.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

Welcome. you are doing very well. I remember when I started running about 2 years ago, it was quite hard just to get out and run regularly. It took me about one year to get into a regular running routine. Even then I could only do about 3 miles per run. Then after many months, I was still under 20 miles per week. I picked a training plan, but rarely hit the target, skipped most hard workout. But after the running habit is formed, I just change my shoes and run when I get home from work without thinking: "Oh God, I have to run xx miles today. How am I going to do it?" Then I know it is just temporary when feeling difficult in some workouts. I know I can get through it and get easier after I have the rhythm. Now I can hit most training workout.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

drifter

+1

We need to run on to show one form of spirit and support!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

+!

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

jfa

Welcome. And Thanks for what you are doing.

You have come to the right place to learn about running and runners.

I am excited, but really don't know the first thing about the sport.  I have good shoes and a good attitude and that "running bug" is setting in.  I guess that's a start Smile

That's all you need. Welcome!

Hey and welcome.

Don't worry about the running bug.  You will get more and soon become infested!!!!  Big grin

Read these posts, watch youtube videos, read books and training plans.  You will find what you need for sure.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

WhoWouldvThunkIt

Thanks everyone!  I have been running 2 miles two to three times weekly for over 7 years (Army rules) but HATED EVERY MINUTE of it.  After landing in this awful dustbowl, I decided to try and get in the best shape of my life.  My coworker and I were talking one day when he told me about his last deployment.  He trained for a marathon.  I knew I would NEVER be able to do a full, but said, What the Heck!  I'll try for a half.  The hardest part was getting up to that "one hour mark".  I am now running an hour 5 days weekly along with an additional long run.  I am old and female, so I know I am not going to break any records out there, but personal records are all that count!  Thanks for all your words of support.  I am thrilled tohave found this forum and thrilled be here!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I am old and female, so I know I am not going to break any records out there, but personal records are all that count!  Thanks for all your words of support.  I am thrilled tohave found this forum and thrilled be here!

Welcome!  And 43 isn't old!

steph  

Mostly harmless

Welcome!  And 43 isn't old!

Amen! I improved my marathon time by 35 minutes at the ripe old age of 46.  Just keep running.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Amen! I improved my marathon time by 35 minutes at the ripe old age of 46.  Just keep running.

Double amen! Ran my first marathon last year at 47, hoping to match Scott's performance in a couple months at 48!

Sticking around these forums is a good way to keep you motivated & moving forward. As well as learning a ton about running. And having fun.

Dave