Detroit Free Press Marathon verses Twins Cities Marathon (Read 127 times)

And I must say, lookin' good, Dave.  Your last avatar always kinda freaked me out.

Thanks Joe! I figured it had worn out its welcome and I was certainly getting tired of it, although did not realize it was freaking people out. Decided to be me.

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I ended up running Grand Rapids which is the same day. As noted above, a very nice one, you can also consider that as something that could be more of a last-minute option. Culver's frozen custard at the finish!

And New Holland Beer!!

GR is nice, as is Milwaukee Lakefront.  I have run both fulls and have run the GR HM 2x, as well.  I'm actually tentatively planning to run the GR HM again this year.

Another really really really nice race in the Fall is the Old Boys' Brewhouse Oktoberfest race in late Sept. in Spring Lake, MI (just shouting distance from Grand Rapids).  Their HM is my very favorite HM in the entire world.  The full is also a really nice race from what I've been told.  This would be somewhat hillier than GR or Milwaukee, but it ends at a brewery with a deck overlooking Spring Lake and has the best post-race spread of any race I have ever run.  All sorts of food, beer, soft drinks...good eats!  The race itself is on a very scenic course around Spring Lake, out to Lake MI, and through some quiet residential neighborhoods.  Easy race for crowd support, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LRB

I want to thank everyone for all their helpful opinions.  I am leaning towards TCM because of how pretty it sounds, but haven't ruled out Detroit either.  So I guess no decision yet. It keeps me dreaming.

Maybe this will help.  Their medal has ranked as high as 5th, on top ten marathon finisher medals lists the last few years, and here is the kicker; it looks better in person!

LRB - I can tell this is your own personal medal & not a stock photo, based on the glass of red wine next to it. Wink

Do you plan on running it this year?

Dave

LRB

Do you plan on running it this year?

I registered at 12:10 midnight on January, it is 65 bucks the first week of the year which is an absolute steal for a well organized, well supported event of its type.

This years medal has a 2013 Camaro on it, and while there was some belly aching about that from auto purists, I personally cannot wait to get my grubby little paws on it!

With Detroit, you get a big city event without all the hassle of a lack of parking and/or congestion.  I was able to park ten minutes away from the start line an hour and fifteen minutes before the event.

The starts are in two minute waves based on your expected pace, and I do not remember anything negative about the corrals or being too crowed at any point of the event.

The issue with the bridge clogging up was due to road construction.  It was a non-issue as far as I know in 2012, and I believe that is a thing of the past. 

As for the course itself, it is categorized as flat and rightfully so.  There is the bridge after mile 2 which is a gradual incline but nothing that will throw you off pace or takes additional effort.  The tunnel back to the USA around mile 7 is a little steeper and takes a bit of focus but is not a deal breaker in the least.  It is a little muggy in there but you exit to a cool breeze and an awesome stream of crowds who are right on top of you.

From there it's over to Joe Louis Arena and Cobo Hall then off to Mexican Town.  At the the 13 mile mark, you break away from downtown and you can hear the noise fading in the distance behind you as you head towards Indian Village. 

There are cheer groups along the way and the folks of the village are really lively.  Eventually you make your way back downtown by way of Belle Isle (an island park).  I have heard that the three mile jaunt around Belle Isle is mentally tough, but I did not find that to be the case.  The short bridge over and back from it does not even register as an issue. 

After that you head down by the River walk, where there is a beer stand around mile 24.  They are just residents who set it up and one of the guys looked at me and said "That man needs a beer!"  Boy was he right, I swear it was the coldest, bestest, tastiest brewski I have ever had! 

There is about a tenth of a mile steep incline at mile 24.5 ish, and again just before mile 26.  Those seem harder than they actually are because you are spent by then, but both last less than a minute.

Going into Detroit last fall, my plan was to do Grand Rapids in 2013, as I did the half marathon there in 2011 and think it is well run in its own right.  After I crossed the finish line in Detroit however, that plan went clear through out the window! 

There is some concern if you have had a recent DUI or similar to clear customs and receive your packet.  Mostly they will ask for for a fee at the expo depending on how long ago it was.  I had no problems and got my packet with a smile.

There was some confusion the week of last years race regarding passports and/or enhanced drivers licenses and if you needed to carry it.  I think that got more attention than it deserved, but I carried my EDL just in case.

The funniest line I have ever heard at an event was at Detroit at around mile 1, when someone from the crowd yelled, "Only 25 miles to go!".

Everyone has their own opinion based on their experience, but if I had to describe the Detroit Free Press Marathon in a word, I would say it is underrated. 

Gator eye

And New Holland Beer!!

GR is nice, as is Milwaukee Lakefront.  I have run both fulls and have run the GR HM 2x, as well.  I'm actually tentatively planning to run the GR HM again this year.

Another really really really nice race in the Fall is the Old Boys' Brewhouse Oktoberfest race in late Sept. in Spring Lake, MI (just shouting distance from Grand Rapids).  Their HM is my very favorite HM in the entire world.  The full is also a really nice race from what I've been told.  This would be somewhat hillier than GR or Milwaukee, but it ends at a brewery with a deck overlooking Spring Lake and has the best post-race spread of any race I have ever run.  All sorts of food, beer, soft drinks...good eats!  The race itself is on a very scenic course around Spring Lake, out to Lake MI, and through some quiet residential neighborhoods.  Easy race for crowd support, too.

I did this race last year. If your looking for a friendly small race with great support this is it, the course has some hills but nothing to terrible and the beer and food at the end was great.

Oh roo roooo!

And New Holland Beer!!

Milwaukee Lakefront is nice and affordably priced, but alas, filled already for this year.  Other than that, second the recommendation, having run it twice myself.

LRB - you are quite a salesman!

I would be happy to do GR again. But living here, I think at some point I NEED to do Detroit, and I suppose this year is as good as any. So I will probably sign up; I never like to commit too far in advance, but obviously to this one you have to. I have been keeping my eye on the registration tracker (currently at 4467 vs 5440 cap), to make sure I get to it before it fills up. Not sure what I am waiting for...maybe after I do Ann Arbor in June I will decide I hate marathons & never want to do another one?

Dave

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I'm running the TC Marathon - my second marathon ever (my first is the now-defunct National Marathon in DC - I think it became the Rock and Roll Marathon). I live in the Cities and I've run along much of the course. Very flat, but that Summit Ave incline will get you. And it is just gorgeous around here - this is a great running town, for the short time of year the weather allows for running. Wink

I also hear that every mile is lined with spectators (which begs this question - is there any spot for a discreet, non-port-a-potty pee?)

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.