Rules of the Road (Read 1037 times)

Half Fanatic #846

I'm fortunate enough to run in an area with few cars and a 30 mph speed limit and I usually run facing traffic, always wearing a brightly colored shirt. My pet peeve however, is the approaching driver who is absolutely the only vehicle visible forever, who sees you running from afar, yet continues precisely in his/her lane whether you move or not. Can't move over an inch, much less a few feet for any reason - just has to continue in as straight a line as possible no matter what, and at a constant speed. YOU ARE SIMPLY NOT THERE. Angry So, I hit the side of the road to avoid getting hit. I've often wanted to carry a tennis ball with me, and "thump" the side of a deserving car - it probably would slam on the brakes after "hitting me". Grrr. In reality - too many idiots/inattentive drivers out there; I'm playin' it safe; if I see 'em/hear 'em - I'm outta the way!!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

jeffdonahue

I always run against traffic when I can so I can see them coming. Also, always remember that technically pedestrians always have the right of way - even if soem of those bikers dont realize it.
      kcam

Also, always remember that technically pedestrians always have the right of way - even if soem of those bikers dont realize it.
        I'm a runner, not a road-biker, but I understand when they get pissed. They're cruising along, maybe cranking out 20 or 25mph, in the BIKE lane (where theyre supposed to be) and along comes some clown running 6 MPH head on towards them. If I see bikers coming I either jump up on the sidewalk and out of the bike lane or I move over as far as possible to the left and slow a little. Be courteous, a 30mph head-on collision WILL hurt.
        giddy-yup

the input is appreciated. i will definately be running against traffic, generally. and:
          ... Bicycles are vehicles and have more roadway rights than you do, curbside hazards such as gravel, sewer grates and other debris effect bikes much more than they do you stay near the curb. ....
          think i've learned why i'm getting looks from the bicyclers. thanks sarge. lastly, something i thought of while running tonight, that i've tried to make a practice of, is giving the courtesy wave to the drivers that do slow and give some space.
          grateful runner

I've had three close calls in the past year - one with a older guy who probably couldn't see and two with cops who were speeding... go figure.
            2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month
              I used to run in the same direction of traffic. I finally made the switch. It felt so unnatural at first. Now, I'm pretty much used to it. I run in rural horse country ( 25 east of dc , imagine !) But people drive way too fast. I know I will be hit and killed one day. ( my dying words will be "Hey you as_ F_ck !" ) Charming, I know. Wink I also tend to flip off drivers who don't "budge" Maybe oneday one will pull over and come after me. I can't help it .. People are so thoughtless. Anywho, I will change sides if I'm going around a blind curve... sometimes it makes sense, you really have to look out for yourself. Bikers can be dickz. Just something you have to deal with.. Most of them are ok. I am in between dogs, and the new dog will need to be trained to run on my left, not my right. How weird!

- Anya

Here's my "official" list of rules I follow to avoid getting hit by a car again: # I run facing traffic and ride with traffic unless there is a local law stating that I shouldn’t. # I make myself visible. Bright clothing, reflective gear, and flashing lights or headlamps are all tools that I might wear depending upon the conditions. # I make myself predictable. I do not weave into and out of the road and I try to run as straight as possible. # I keep my eyes up ahead of me and make sure that I am aware of both oncoming traffic and any traffic that might be coming off of side roads or driveways. # I make eye contact with drivers who are stopped. If they won’t look at me, then I will point at them until they do. I want to make sure that a driver knows that I am there before that driver pulls into me. I've found that when I'm running on a sidewalk, I'm even more invisible to cars pulling out of driveways or cross streets than if I am in the shoulder of the road. # I always carry some sort of identification with me when I run, and I write emergency contact info onto the bib when I race using a pen or marker. Another great tip is that you should never play chicken with a car. Win or lose, the runner loses.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Prince of Fatness

Very good, consistent, information here. Being from NJ, where everyone is in such a hurry, I run the same way I drive, which is defensively. I am always watching out for cars, and never, ever, ever, ever, (did I say ever?) assume that a driver sees me and will take steps to avoid me. I have not had a major incident driving or running. Some would say I am lucky, which is true to some extent. But I like to think that my habits have contributed to the luck. Edited to add: And yes, I offer a friendly smile and a wave to those drivers that yield the right of way to me. That behavior is rare in these parts so I do what I can to encourage it.

Not at it at all. 

I used to bang on the trunk with my fist...
                    I did this over the weekend and the guy backed up and came after me. At the next intersection he wouldn't let me cross. I made a pretty solid punch into his headlight and he drove off. I'm not sure if I broke it, but I'm hoping.

-------------------------------------
                    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Feeling the growl again

I did this over the weekend and the guy backed up and came after me. At the next intersection he wouldn't let me cross. I made a pretty solid punch into his headlight and he drove off. I'm not sure if I broke it, but I'm hoping.
                      I have learned to curtail my temper with people in cars. I too used to give a good whack in the trunk to the ones that did stupid stuff that was clearly on purpose (like swerve at me for no reason, or pull in front of me in a crosswalk right as I got to their car to make me face plant on their hood). I try not to do it now. A couple times the driver totally road raged and did their best to run me over on purpose. I know this sounds like an exaggeration but it is not. Strangely, the two whose drivers side mirrors I took off in response to gregious offenses beyond acceptability never chased me, probably because they knew they could be arrested for provocation if they chased me and I ever found a witness to their inciting action. People are crazy...especially when they are in cars. I am VERY happy I finally moved out in the country where seeing more than 10 cars an hour is a busy day.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I completely agree with running against traffic - I've dogged a few cell phone chatters that way. One of the most important things to remember is the eye contact. I broke my golden "eye contact first" rule one time (while on my bike) - I kept thinking, "she sees me, she sees me" and nope! she didn't see me. Knocked me right off and broke a few bones for me. Always make eye contact, and always carry ID!
                        kcam

People are crazy...especially when they are in cars. I am VERY happy I finally moved out in the country where seeing more than 10 cars an hour is a busy day.
                          People .... they're the WORST. - J. Seinfeld
                            I have learned to curtail my temper with people in cars. I too used to give a good whack in the trunk to the ones that did stupid stuff that was clearly on purpose (like swerve at me for no reason, or pull in front of me in a crosswalk right as I got to their car to make me face plant on their hood). I try not to do it now. A couple times the driver totally road raged and did their best to run me over on purpose. I know this sounds like an exaggeration but it is not. Strangely, the two whose drivers side mirrors I took off in response to gregious offenses beyond acceptability never chased me, probably because they knew they could be arrested for provocation if they chased me and I ever found a witness to their inciting action. People are crazy...especially when they are in cars. I am VERY happy I finally moved out in the country where seeing more than 10 cars an hour is a busy day.
                            I always run facing traffic and always keep my guard up. I've been hit once by a car and the driver didn't even stop other than a few bruises I was okay. Just be safe out there. I try to run at times when the traffic volume is low or in area wherethere is relatively little traffic. If you can stay off the roads and run on trails it's even better. Cheers