Minimalist shoes -- for kids, too? (Read 806 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm a pretty big fan of relatively minimal shoes...not 0 drop, at this point, but 4-6mm works pretty well for me.  I've gradually been able to wean myself off the Superfeet, too, though I'm also not running enough miles at this stage for my knees to care one way or the other, most likely.

Anyhow, my 11 year old DS has pretty craptacular endurance.  He can ride for hours on the back of our tandem, but mostly because he's letting his dad do the lion's share of the work.  His idea of running is to sprint all out, then sputter.  He thought he wanted to do cyclocross races this Fall, but he can barely handle a mile or two of pedaling on his solo bike with some effort before he starts to fizzle, much less 3-4 miles in a race scenario on a hilly and semi-technical course.  I think I finally have him convinced that if he works up slowly that he can run and bike much further with some practice.  He really wants to do the "Zombies! Run" iPhone app, but no way could he handle that now.  I'm going to bargain with him and tell him if he can work up to 2 slow/steady miles that we'll start working on that fun app.

Anyhow, part of me wants to take him to a running store for shoes, but I'm suspecting they're going to put him in a bulky shoe and I wonder if that's the best approach.  It doesn't seem like there are a lot of more minimal shoes on the market for kids, though, aside from the Nike Free, which I fear could be too minimal to start.  He has a really narrow, but sort of flat foot.  I think some support would be good.

Thoughts?  He's only in about a youth 5-6 (he's got small feet like much of my family), which also makes it tricky, since he doesn't yet fit into men's sizes.  As narrow as his foot is a women's shoe might be an option.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jpurdom

I would say minimal especially for kids.  Your son has not had a lifetime of running with bulky shoes like a lot of us had.  Put him in something minimal now and he can train his body to run the way it should.  The Free would be fine.  I know the Kinvara comes in kids sizes as well.  You could also look at women's sizes.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's kind of what I'm thinking, too...start him more minimal so he doesn't have to train his achilles to lengthen and all the other muscles in his feet to work properly.

~ Sarah Kay

From Running Times September Issue, Shoes for Small Fry

Saw this and thought it may be helpful to you.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

From Running Times September Issue, Shoes for Small Fry

Saw this and thought it may be helpful to you.

Yes, very.  This is sort of what I suspected, but I haven't seen discussed at length.

My kid is in an interesting place compared to a lot of his peers.  He attends a Montessori school where shoes are off at the door and the kids wear slippers in the building.  The only times they wear shoes are for recess or gym.  At home we don't wear shoes in the house, either.

I haven't seen all those models widely available, unfortunately.  I don't think Running Warehouse or Roadrunner Sports carry most of those in kids sizes...I wonder why.  I don't think the $60 quoted for most of those is unreasonable for a legitimate running shoe for a kid, especially if a person can find them on sale or buy last season's model.

~ Sarah Kay

Ojo

We bought our boys Vibrams FF in women's sizes.  They are the same except as you said more narrow.  I did just buy my younger DS the Merrell kids minimalist for gym since the teacher does not allow Vibrams. 

Sara

MM #2929

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why would the teacher not allow Vibrams? Confused

~ Sarah Kay

Ojo

Maybe worried about someone landing on their feet?  Not really sure but since they are graded everyday it isn't worth the argument.

Sara

MM #2929

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

True.  But if they outlaw anything it should be those godawful Crocs! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

I grew up in Africa where because of the warm weather it was not uncommon to be allowed to play barefoot on the grass in the yard.

For sports I remember wearing "tennis shoes" which we called "tackies" just  a soft canvas shoe with a flat rubber soul.

We did not know as much about shoes and feet back then, perhaps, but it seems more natural.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think you're probably right.  About the time I started running track as a kid (mid-80s) the built-up heels on running shoes with tons of cushioning had become the standard.  That was likely the wrong direction for most people to go.  Now we're back to less-is-more.

~ Sarah Kay

Hobby Jogger Especial!

Since your DS is barefoot quite a bit, I wouldn't worry about putting him in a zero drop shoe.

But if you're looking for something that has a low drop,but still a good shoe, you may want to check out the Inov-8 F-lite 195 or something similar. They are quite narrow so might be just the ticket for your DS.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Since your DS is barefoot quite a bit, I wouldn't worry about putting him in a zero drop shoe.

But if you're looking for something that has a low drop,but still a good shoe, you may want to check out the Inov-8 F-lite 195 or something similar. They are quite narrow so might be just the ticket for your DS.

Thanks for the recommendation!  Yeah, I think his foot is going to be as hard to fit as mine is, but because the shape is so opposite of mine.  He has my flat arch, but narrowness like his dad and both grandmas.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just picked up a pair of Nike Free Run 3s at Finish Line for about $60.  They normally retail for close to $80.  They only had one pair left on clearance and they fit him, so I grabbed 'em.

They are slightly different from the adult version...mostly that the insole is not removable.  I wonder why.  I saw that was the case with lots of kids's shoes.  Not that I'd use an aftermarket insole for him, but found it odd that the option isn't even there.

He wants to go for his first run on Sat.  I'm probably going to need to get him a headlamp, soon, since he and his dad don't often get home until nearly dark once we get closer to Winter.  He broke my headlamp, so I need to get myself another one, too. Roll eyes  I think we're going to target a nearby turkey trot for his first race.  Something tells me the little turd is gonna outsprint me at the finish. Cry

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Something tells me the little turd is gonna outsprint me at the finish. Cry

They're crafty - watch out!