2013 Sub-3:30 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 1384 times)

Julia1971

Sorry the race didn't go as planned, NorthernMan but congratulations on graduating sub-3:30.  The hills didn't bother you, huh?  That's good.  It seems like a lot of the people I was tracking really slowed down in when the hills started.

I'm thinking next years Boston is going to be very popular.  I hope to see you there.  Smile

No PR for me this time. I had no energy. Felt like I hadn't actually tapered when the race started. Maybe went out too hard on the previous week hill run?  Who knows.. It did feel warmer than I expected in the middle of the race. Hills were not bad at all.

3:24:15

happy that at least I came in faster than my bib number. Was thinking this would be my only time to do boston, but am fairly pissed about bombings and think I will go back next year to show we will not be terrorized.

No PR for me this time. I had no energy. Felt like I hadn't actually tapered when the race started. Maybe went out too hard on the previous week hill run?  Who knows.. It did feel warmer than I expected in the middle of the race. Hills were not bad at all.

3:24:15

happy that at least I came in faster than my bib number. Was thinking this would be my only time to do boston, but am fairly pissed about bombings and think I will go back next year to show we will not be terrorized.

The time is still good. Also you are safe. That is good too.

It is terrible that the explosion happened. I wish the world full of more love than hatred.  Things like this happening always makes me think how I could do more with others together to make the world more peaceful.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

northernman

Fight The Future

I'm with you there, David.

Julia, I didn't realize it at first, but I see now after hearing President Obama today that you are right. Next year is going to be extremely popular at Boston #118. Glad I re-qualified with 15 minutes to spare! Now if only I could make it into the first wave, that would be something. I think I would need about a 3:17 or so. Gives me a target to work towards for twin cities this fall.

northernman

Fight The Future

Good luck on Sunday, Jason!

Thanks northernman. Taper hasn't been great, legs have been feeling really tired despite reducing mileage. Maybe raced too hard in March and not recovered enough. Anyway, have taken it extra careful this week, had massage, sauna, and restricted running to short and slow. So we will see where we from here. Still hopeful for 3:30, but would be happy with PB sub 3:40 and as near to 3:30 as I can.

Julia1971

I got to high-five two Olympians today so I'm sharing this race reportSmile

NorthernMan, Let's get our times down this fall.  I doubt I'll make first corral but I'd like to set a serious PR in NYCM.

Jason, Hope you had a good race!

novastrider

after what happened in Boston, my goal has changed.  i'd like to qualify for Boston 2014 in early september.  the only problem is that at this point i'm not fast enough yet.  i've set PB's in 5 and 10k over the last couple of weeks but if i punch those numbers into the Macmillian pace calculator, it comes up with a estimated 3:29 marathon.  not the sub 3:25 i'm looking for.   so the plan is to continue to train as if I'm going to run a September marathon (Lehigh Valley Marathon, september 8th) and make a decision on June 16th when i run a half marathon here.  running that half will give me a more accurate estimate of a full time.  if my time is too slow, i'll stick with the wineglass in october and just focus on qualifying for 2015.  this will be my first marathon using the Hanson training method.  fingers crossed.

running since 2010. PR: 5k 21:44, 10k - 44:33 42.2k - 3:51 2013 Goals 5k - sub 21:00, 10k - sub 45:00, 21.1k - 1:45, 42.2k - 3:20

unfortunately I just failed to graduate, but pleased with my time 3:30:32. struggled last 2 miles and couldnt quite hold on. but did knock 13 mins off pb so very happy. just need to decide which one to do next.

northernman

Fight The Future

unfortunately I just failed to graduate, but pleased with my time 3:30:32. struggled last 2 miles and couldnt quite hold on. but did knock 13 mins off pb so very happy. just need to decide which one to do next.

13 minute PR, that's epic Jason! great job!

Julia, I think we're both going to make it to wave 1, not just corral 1 of wave 2. Don't let me down, now!

Julia1971

Jason, Ugh, you were so close.  But, congrats on the huge PR!  I hope you're feeling happy with that.

Novastrider, That sounds like a good plan.  McMillan tends to be overly optimistic and something like a half would give you a better sense for your marathon fitness.

Northernman, I'm all in!  What did I just commit to?  3:15-3:18ish?

northernman

Fight The Future

Northernman, I'm all in!  What did I just commit to?  3:15-3:18ish?

Yeah, somewhere in there. I think 3:20 would have been sufficient this year, but everyone and their mothers are planning on Boston next year so the times will probably be shifted a bit. I'm thinking to aim for 3:17.

Julia1971

Yeah, somewhere in there. I think 3:20 would have been sufficient this year, but everyone and there mothers are planning on Boston next year so the times will probably be shifted a bit. I'm thinking to aim for 3:17.

3:17 it is!  I'm not officially training for NYCM until July 1st but maybe I should start thinking about where I need to be going in to training...  I'm feeling very inspired since Sunday and don't want to let this excitement go to waste.  When do you start training for Twin Cities?

northernman

Fight The Future

July 1 sounds good. I'm officially starting this coming weekend, although it's an easy start. For kicks, i thought I would try the RunningWizard plan, to see how it compares to my last schedule. Looks very relaxing, actually. Good luck to us both!

I'm in for a marathon on 5/26: Bob Potts Marathon, in York PA. Goal is sub-3:20, and I'll go for 3:15 if everything lines up on race day.

I had been training for a March marathon and flamed out after some injuries. Settled back in for a few months of base-building for a fall marathon, and then (like a lot of people) decided to give Boston 2014 a shot.

BQ for me is 3:25, but that obviously won't be good enough to get in next year. Might as well aim higher, it'll be a learning experience either way.

Good: Lots of base mileage and a recent MP-long run that gave me some very encouraging feedback. I train on lots of hills, and the race will be a flat, fast course that I have run many times before.

Bad: This is my first marathon, and what I lack in experience I make up for with blind optimism. If I'm not careful (and maybe a little lucky) I'll bust my leg again and DNS.

I'm going to focus my remaining time on long runs and marathon pace work. If I can nail my last two long runs, I think I've got a good shot at doing this. I'll probably stay away from track workouts to lower my injury risk.

MTA: Make it easier for Clive:

mstuartm – 26MAY2013 – Bob Potts Marathon (York, PA) – Goal = 3:15  RESULT = _____

Anonymous Guest

Okay, my race is coming up Sunday. I've nailed all my training runs, I PR'd at a half marathon four weeks out (1:39:58) and a 10K (43:16) two weeks out with no taper to speak of for either, so I should be able to hit my goal of 3:35, right? That is BQ -20 for me. Here's my problem - I have no confidence that I can run at this pace for an entire marathon. I've gotten weirdly faster over the last 18 months. Started with a 32 pound weight loss at the beginning of 2012, then I just kept getting faster. I was having trouble breaking 5 hours at the end of 2011. My PR was 4:26. Then I ran a 4:11 in May 2012, and a 3:52 in October (goal was to BQ, 3:55). I did that just by running more miles, no speed work or tempo runs or anything. I knew at the end of that marathon that I could do better, and several friends pointed it out as well.

This time I've followed Hanson's Advanced Plan, with a few modifications (I got into an ultra in February that I really wanted to do, plus I like to race so I did the half and the 10K even though Hanson's doesn't recommend it). And like I've said, I hit everything spot on, with the exception of one strength run after the 10K, and one tempo run where I just had no energy about half way through. But the thought of being able to run 8:10 minute miles for 26.2 miles just seems incomprehensible to me. The weather is looking good, the course is nice and flat, I should be able to do it. How do I get past this feeling that there is no way I can run that fast?

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel