Gag reflex gone wonky? (Read 640 times)

Finished!

I was having a lovely run this morning, up until the midwaypoint or so....at which point it felt like something was stuck in my throat and my gag reflex started kicking in. There were no strange odors about, I hadn't eaten anything this morning, didn't eat anything strange last night. I had to stop, and walk for a bit as it really felt like I was going to heave - yet there was nothing *to* heave, so I'm totally baffled. Sorry if this is TMI, but I'm kinda desperate to know if this is odd and if anyone knows what is causing it. The wierd feeling of something stuck in the throat and the wonky gag reflex is still with me even 2 hrs after the run Sad Only new thing going on right now is I'm on some new medications (none of which suggest nausea as a side-effect) to try to knock out a headache that we think is sinus related.
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thyroid? I just had blood drawn this AM to check for hypothyroidism. I know one symptom can be swallowing issues or feeling like there's a lump in one's throat. Other than that I would have suggested allergy, but if you hadn't eaten anything that probably wouldn't be an issue. I would call your doctor about it, though, that's pretty scary stuff. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Finished!

Is thyroid function tested in a normal annual blood panel? If so, I've recently had a blood draw done and all came out "normal" This is the first time this happened, we'll see if it's something tied to the new meds. I'm due to be off them soon.
        Walk + Jog = wog.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know whether they would look at thyroid during a normal blood draw. I don't think I've ever had mine tested before, though I have had my cholesterol/triglycerides done in the past. k

~ Sarah Kay

Finished!

Any idea what they list the tyroid function items as? I actually have a copy of my most recent bloodwork...
            Walk + Jog = wog.
            mikeymike

I'm thinking post nasal drip, especially since you mentioned a sinus headache.

Runners run

Finished!

it may be post nasal drip, but I always have a runny nose when I run - one of the joys of yr round allergies. Unfortunately, as you note, I've been toting around a low grade headache since Mid November and a business trip. We treated it as a sinus infection deal, but the headache seems to still linger. Interestingly enough, they did give me new "allergy" medication back then to try to get the sinus headache to clear out - and it seems to have "broken" some habits I've always had - like rapidfire sneezing and having to blow my nose within 10 minutes of waking up. The gag thing has me totally baffled and I sure hope it's not here to stay because it ruined an otherwise good run!
                Walk + Jog = wog.
                  Acid reflux may start because of running. Lots of info on the web about it.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Acid reflux may start because of running. Lots of info on the web about it.
                    Ooh, that sounds like a likely contender, too. Thyroid function would show up as TSH, free T3, free T4...but TSH would definitely be the basic, primary measurement. Could it possibly be asthma? I've never had it feel like a lump in my throat, but I'm sure there's a variety of ways that asthma presents. I know my mom gets BAD coughing fits that are symptoms of hers. k

~ Sarah Kay

Finished!

Hmm didn't think of the acid reflux and the run was a relatively short one considering what I'm now putting my training towards...and I haven't had any issues with acid reflux before. The good news is I did the same run today with no gagging. Hooray! As for the asthma, I do have that, and it presents as sometimes coughing but usually the typical shortness of breath and wheezing. I'm planning on spendin a chunk of the morning mapping out routes for my new training plan Wink
                      Walk + Jog = wog.