If you could put up to 3 Bumper Stickers on your Car, what would they be? (Read 410 times)

So, essentially, this is a thread for discussing religion and politics in the veiled tones of bumper stickers.

Initially I was going to say "no" that was my intent.   But I did say "Coexist" and "equality for all" as 2 of my choices, so in hindsight, yes, I see how that opens the door for opposing opinion, and then a dive into the politics concerned therewith.  Was not at all my intent though.  I am completely burnt out on any discussion about Religion or Politics.

Lets get back to Lighter topics:

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Yooper3.1

And I won't put these on my car, but "Coexist" would be one, and "Equality" would be the other one.  THose 2 pretty much sum it up for me.  

I've never understood those "Equality" stickers.  Each traditional marriage (i.e., between a man and a woman) gives a child the opportunity to be raised by both his father and his mother.  Although every traditional marriage does not actually produce this result (as the result of divorce or death), it is safe to say that NO gay "marriage" can produce this result.  For this reason, traditional marriage and gay "marriage" are two very different institutions, so there's no "inequality" if the state chooses to promote the former but not the latter.

Now, how am I going to fit that on a bumper sticker?  I'll have to spread it across all three.

bhearn

I've never understood those "Equality" stickers.  Each traditional marriage (i.e., between a man and a woman) gives a child 

Whoa now, you can just stop right there.

Yooper3.1

Whoa now, you can just stop right there.

Huh?  Why?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've never understood those "Equality" stickers.  Each traditional marriage (i.e., between a man and a woman) gives a child the opportunity to be raised by both his father and his mother.  Although every traditional marriage does not actually produce this result (as the result of divorce or death), it is safe to say that NO gay "marriage" can produce this result.  For this reason, traditional marriage and gay "marriage" are two very different institutions, so there's no "inequality" if the state chooses to promote the former but not the latter.

Now, how am I going to fit that on a bumper sticker?  I'll have to spread it across all three.

Hmmm...so infertile couples or those beyond reproductive age or those who don't want kids shouldn't be allowed to get married...?  If a couple has a child, but the child dies, must they be required to divorce...?

Phew, good thing my DH and I bred.  I'd hate to think that our marriage wouldn't be valid had we chosen not reproduce.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

obiebyke

Hahahaha. Folks, we have a homophobic troll.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

But a really traditional marriage, between a man and several women, gives the child a richer upbringing - the opportunity to be raised by a man and several women. And possibly by grandparents and uncles and aunts as well, if they're all under the same roof.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But a really traditional marriage, between a man and several women, gives the child a richer upbringing - the opportunity to be raised by a man and several women. And possibly by grandparents and uncles and aunts as well, if they're all under the same roof.

And concubines.  Don't forget the concubines.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yooper3.1

Hahahaha. Folks, we have a homophobic troll.

Please, let's try to refrain from name-calling and focus on the merits of the arguments.  I not a homophobe.  I have nothing against people who have a sexual attraction for a person of the same gender and am certainly not "afraid" of them.  And I am not a troll-- if a person is going to publicly profess his support for gay "marriage," then I feel compelled to explain to him why gay "marriage" isn't marriage at all.

With respect to the other posts, please note that my original post readily acknowledged that not all traditional marriages actually result in a child being raised by his mother and father.  But traditional marriage provides a structure where this is possible (the failure of a particular marriage to actually produce children does not change the nature of the relationship); gay "marriage" never does.  This is an important reason why these two forms of relationships are not the same thing.

Also, keep in mind that the ancient polygamous relationships to which AP referred still involved the marriage of one man and one woman; they were just several marriages at the same time by the same man (note that the women in these arrangements had no marital relationship with each other).

obiebyke

I think I'll stick to the name-calling. It's fun.

You're not invited to my gay wedding.

Please, let's try to refrain from name-calling and focus on the merits of the arguments.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Please, let's try to refrain from name-calling and focus on the merits of the arguments.  I not a homophobe.  I have nothing against people who have a sexual attraction for a person of the same gender and am certainly not "afraid" of them.  And I am not a troll-- if a person is going to publicly profess his support for gay "marriage," then I feel compelled to explain to him why gay "marriage" isn't marriage at all.

Damn, the thread went this direction, which is not what I had hoped!  ---  Well, when I say "Equality" and "Coexistence", I merely support an idea that all religions (and the non-religious + the undecided) should get along, and same for marriage.  In the 1860's, there was a heated debate over slavery.  In modern times, I think most can agree that no single man or woman should be pre-judged based solely on their ethnic background.  In the 1920's, there was a heated debate on if women should even be allowed to vote in elections or not.  Time has passed and I think it clear that equality again was correct on that debate.  Of course women should be allowed to vote, there is no question anymore on that.

And now, in modern times, folks are fighting for equality in marriage.  If 2 men love each other very much, or 2 women do as well and want to spend their lives together and be able to file "married" on their taxes + live as a married couple forever just as another loving couple would, then seems they should have that right.  I'd put up the argument that even though there is resistance against it now, over time it will be just as acceptable as blacks not being slaves and women having the right to vote.  Equality, that is all....

Oh, strictly on the issue of kids, I understand what you are saying about mother and father figure, but what supercedes all is the fact that 2 LOVING parents want to adopt and raise a child.  If a child is in state care, but a loving couple who happen to be gay want to adopt, then that is a positive outcome most of the time!   --   Personally I was raised by only one person, my aunt.  She was very loving/supportive and I turned out all right. (Well, that part is definitely Debatable) Big grin .......

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

BeeRunB

The Shout Of A Left Rear Bumper

The link brings you to a little ditty (brief) I wrote on my obscure blog a few years ago

about my relationship with my Vermont City Marathon 26.2  bumper sticker

and wanting people to see it. Excuse any shameless self-promotion,

but that's what the bumper sticker kind of is...

Enjoy. --JimmyCool

Zaphod

President of the Galaxy

I actually have four stickers on my car:

1. "Ranger: When you need the very best"

2. a POW/MIA sticker

3. "Cthulhu for president: why choose the lesser evil?"

4. "Vulcan Science Academy" (in the rear window)

Your challenge is to guess my political/religious/sexual leanings.

jmio316

I found this bumper sticker in last October when I ran the Victoria Half (Victoria, British Columbia.)  I broke out laughing when I saw it, and put it on our Mazda Mini Van as soon as we got home.  Funny how bumper stickers aren't as popular as 20 years ago.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." - Bill Bowerman

bhearn

And I won't put these on my car, but "Coexist" would be one, and "Equality" would be the other one.