Well, crap...RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman (Read 289 times)

My personal belief is that how each of us reacts to these things says a lot more about us individually (the reactor) than it says about some fundmental truth about the nature of addiction.

Forget about "supposed to". I do, in fact, have compassion for addicts. And I do not believe that suffering from addiction precludes one from being praisworthy in other aspects of thier life.

And, voluntary schmoluntary.

I was frustrated and wrote a lot more, but I deleted it and am out with this.

I want my daughter to have better role models than this. In 10 years, I don't want her seeing some teen idol of hers die from a heroin overdose and think that it's somehow glorified or romantic. When Glee did their special tribute episode for Cory Monteith, I felt that they missed out on a huge opportunity by stating that, "it doesn't matter how he died." Yes, actually it does. His death was preventable. When Paul Walker died, teens were out on the street revving up their engines and speeding in that spot "in tribute." That's crap. No one says, "hey, this was a stupid and dangerous decision." Instead, they pull out some stupid quote of him saying that if he ever died in a high speed crash, at least know he was having fun.

I know it's a stupid thing to be annoyed over and as cold as I sound, my heart breaks for his kids. However, these aren't role models and I'm so tired of seeing them portrayed as such.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That addictive personality thing cannot be discounted, for certain.  I don't "get" how people become dependent upon narcotics…I generally don't care for the side effects of these things at all.

BUT -- a year ago I was on one (Norco, IIRC) after busting my wrist in 2 places.  I generally have a very high tolerance for pain and while I was in the cast things weren't so bad.  It was after the cast was removed and I was in a splint that the pain really hit.  I had maybe 2-3 steady weeks of Norco prescribed to deal with that (a relatively low dose, too, I recall).  And when I decided to just stop taking it and switch to advil or tylenol, as needed.  Holy crap, was that a bad move to quit it cold-turkey.  I had classic withdrawal systems, even on relatively low-dose script.  I had to go back to taking it and cutting the doses and pills back gradually.

If someone like me (who doesn't seem prone to chemical dependency of any sort and has no family history of drug/alcohol dependency, aside from my parents both being ex-smokers) can have a reaction like that…how about those who might be at greater risk?  Or those who don't have healthy outlets for stress, like all of us on RA do…?  I can't even pretend to understand what a mind-fuck it would be to have any degree of celebrity.  I don't envy these people.  Sure, the money would be nice.  And a guy like PSH clearly loved what he did.  But that doesn't mean he doesn't struggle with demons or have a the means to conquer them.  I don't even know how celebrities seek therapy.  What therapist is even equipped to offer advise?  It's just not a normal scenario for any person to be living.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kalsarikännit

I firmly believed if mental health issues were better diagnosed, treated, and less stigmatized that we would see FAR fewer addicts. 

You would also see a dramatic shift in the homeless population.

Speaking of...so the artsy, creative types O.D., and we are very sympathetic because they were "tortured souls" and had "demons".

A toothless broad with no definite address who is also a parent (but probably lost her children to DCFS because of her addiction) is handing out $10 blow jobs to do some substance that is cut with some cheap poisonous substance, and O.D.'s, and now the term thrown around is "crack whore" and "junkie" who shouldn't have been allowed to breed. Funny where that compassion for addicts seems to disappear to.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

However, these aren't role models and I'm so tired of seeing them portrayed as such.

But they are role models.  Role models don't have to always be positive.  They provide just as many teachable moments when they screw things up badly, too.  Sometimes kids need to see the price paid by people who screw up.  My son (13 this coming Fri) and I have talked about the trainwreck that is Justin Bieber (he hates the "kid," so he finds some pleasure in seeing him in trouble with the law and potentially being deported).  How JB's folks have enabled his misbehavior over the years and seeming to continue to encourage bad behavior from their adult son.  We talked last night about PSH and about middle-aged adults who still struggle with things.  That playing around with drugs as a kid can have decades of dire consequences.  And the great end losses that can be fed by drug use.  Dane's a big fan of the Hunger Games books and films.  The impact of the loss of a major character in that series will certainly be solid (I read in one place that he still had 7 days of filming to finish his scenes for both of the remaining films -- not sure how they resolve that, aside from maybe pulling some digital magic).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Not dead. Yet.

If someone like me (who doesn't seem prone to chemical dependency of any sort and has no family history of drug/alcohol dependency, aside from my parents both being ex-smokers) can have a reaction like that…how about those who might be at greater risk?

Once it gets going it becomes a beast of its own, and yes I feel sorry for the person, but in the beginning they chose to use it.  There are some drugs that can be experimented with somewhat safely, but heroin is not one.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Hip Redux

But they are role models.  Role models don't have to always be positive. 

Well, by definition, role models are people you want to emulate or people with whom you want to identify.

So yes, there are things to learn from people in their fall from grace, but they aren't role models.   More like a lesson in what not to do.

There is inherent danger in putting "celebrities" into the role model status, because most of what they do to be famous isn't all that impressive in the grand scheme of life.  Fame and money does crazy stuff to people.

As an aside, I take narcotics for back pain.  They make me HIGH.  Like crazy feel good high.   I have to really be careful to not take them more than absolutely necessary because that could seriously be a slippery slope.

Feeling the growl again

Actors are, by very definition, simply very good at pretending to be something that they are not.   I've never understood why they take such a central and over-inflated position in our society.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

No Talent Drips

Funny Sad where that compassion for addicts seems to disappear to.

Fixed-ish.

Dei Gratia

Agree!

Actors are, by very definition, simply very good at pretending to be something that they are not.   I've never understood why they take such a central and over-inflated position in our society.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Why is it sideways?

What was the question again?

Fame and money does crazy stuff to people.

^This. NTIWKAAT. But it certainly seems like major celebrities live just completely different types of lives than most of us. (Add high-level politicians to that mix.) And therefore end up exposed to situations, and opportunities to get involved in bad things, that most of us will never be. Someone earlier mentioned how PSH had the resources to avoid these things. The issue is sometimes having the resources to get into them.

Dave

Kalsarikännit

What was the question again?

Who is ultimately responsible when death results from an out of control addiction (like correcting grammar).

Kalsarikännit

But it certainly seems like major celebrities live just completely different types of lives than most of us. (Add high-level politicians to that mix.) And therefore end up exposed to situations, and opportunities to get involved in bad things, that most of us will never be.

Bull. I'm a bartender. You should see what goes through my industry. Even worse is any damn trader.  They shove stuff up their noses by the bucketful.

Feeling the growl again

Bul Even worse is any damn trader.  They shove stuff up their noses by the bucketful.

Went to MBA with many of them....not at all surprised.  They were their own "special" group.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

I'm sure you understand, Spaniel. I'd say the good ones are given a natural position, as it seems to me that anyone who is highly skilled in a field that's in the public eye will always be given a more favorable social status. It can happen in the micro ( a lead singer in a good local band that plays to a full club every Saturday night will have a different status than the guy working sound, though the guy working sound might be an expert and well-known among the bands and other sound men and have a favorable social status there),  or in the macro (someone as kick-ass as Jack Nicholson or Dustin Hoffman or Meryl Streep or Steven Spielberg are highly skilled and at the top of a very public profession--their status well-earned). Character actors don't usually occupy the same place in the mass eye of the public. Though we might still get a thrill to see Harry Dean Stanton or Steven Tobolowski.

After watching Animal Planet and seeing that social status is important among the other primates and mammals, it seems to me that this propping up (and tearing down) of well-skilled individuals is part of our biology,  just who and what we are. It's not always skill, sometimes it's just displaying power of any kind, or a lot of money (perceived as power). If Meb Keflezighi started posting in this forum, he would be treated differently than most. Different social status. In fact, for some here, it would be a thrill if Meb started posting.

It's actually fun to meet or spot a celebrity, or even just see them come out on stage. I've been thrilled quite a few times in my life, whether it  be seeing Paul McCartney, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Eric Bogosian, Queen, Suzanne Vega, Yes, Paul Simon, or spotting Susan Sarandon at Whole Foods on the east side of Providence, or James Taylor at a bar downtown, or meeting John Goodman and Tess Harper. It was all a thrill. Intellectually, I know they're just people, but for some reason, it's a memorable experience to be in the same room as any of them, performing or not.  All of these people I've mentioned have worked their tails off to get good and to build their bodies of work. And to provide a service to society.

I'd probably scream like a teenaged girl if I was transported back in time to The Cavern and The Beatles were on stage playing.