Intro..."Hello!" (Read 989 times)

NJ Dave, Hello! My story is similar. I am 38 ... to be 39 on 11/12, training for a 1/2M on 10/30 here in Grand Rapids, MI. I want to do a full next year as well. I attempted a M 9 years ago this month out in San Fran. With the excitement that usually accompanies inexperience, I only trained up to 12 miles prior to ... therefore I only ran through mile 13! Getting off the curb and deciding to walk the remaining 13.X miles was probably the most emotionally difficult decision to make ... but I did. I finished in 7:07 (no, jokes you guys!) ... the last one to cross the finish line ... they were literally taking it down when I crossed it. My then, girlfriend was on the other side of it with my finisher's medal. It was the last time I put my shoes on ... 9 years, marriage & 4 kids later ... I have decided to take a little more disciplined approach to it. In terms of training, I have always bought into Jeff Galloway's ideas on running. I figure that I am not 20 anymore and my body can use the run/walk theory for recovery. He has a new book out called "Marathon", but I have been using "Galloway's book on running". This last weekend was my longest run at 7 miles. I am not about speed at this stage. I am running about 13 min/mi. I am just trying to develop habits, disciplines and a base from which to build from. I have been doing fairly well ... missed 1-2 runs but nothing significant in the last 8 weeks. Anyway, I am pretty new to RA as well, I followed a link here from runnersworld.com.

The steady plodding of the diligent leads surely to advantage(victory), But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.

2008 Philly Trifecta

Wow! I've been busy the last couple of days and was unable to log onto the RA posts...and I'm blown away by all the support! Shocked {group hug!} Big grin I'm glad I switched to this running log! I am encouraged by all your comments and encouragement! On top of the running schedule, I am also using my 1hr lunch break at work to walk around outside, get out of the office. We have a nice little lake, I do about 4 laps/hr. After careful consideration I have devised a running plan outlined below. A morph of Hal Higdons and Marathontraining.com plans...the 18 week build-up begins 7/16/07. So far I've stayed the course, and am getting myself into writing down everything I eat on an index card, and logging it on Fitday.com. Trying to stay w/in 1,500-1,700cal/day for fat loss, but maintaining enough energy for my runs. I may have to up the carbs as the mileage increases...we'll see (any advice?) Week Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun Total 6/18 xt 3mi 3mi 3mi xt 3mi 3 mi 15 6/25 xt 3mi 3mi 3m i xt 3mi 4 mi 16 7/2 xt 3mi 3mi 3mi xt 3mi 5 mi 17 1 7/16 xt 3mi 3mi 4 mi xt 3mi 5 mi 18 2 7/23 xt 3mi 3mi 4 mi xt 3mi 5 mi 18 3 7/30 xt 3mi 3mi 4 mi xt 3mi 5 mi 18 4 8/6 xt 3mi 3mi 3mi xt 3mi 7 mi 19 5 8/13 xt 3mi 3mi 3mi xt 3mi 6 mi 18 6 8/20 xt 3mi 3mi 4mi xt 3mi 7 mi 20 7 8/27 xt 3mi 3mi 4mi xt 3mi 7 mi 20 8 9/3 xt 3mi 3mi 4.5 mi xt 3mi 7 mi 20.5 9 9/10 xt 3mi 3.5 mi 4.5 mi xt 3mi 7 mi 21 10 9/17 xt 3mi 3.5 mi 4.5 mi xt 3mi 8 mi 22 11 9/27 xt 3mi 3.5 mi 3.5 mi xt 3mi 8 mi 21 12 10/1 xt 3mi 4 mi 4 mi xt 3mi 8 mi 22 13 10/8 xt 3mi 3 mi 3 mi xt 3mi 9 mi 21 14 10/15 xt 3mi 4 mi 4 mi xt 3mi 10 mi 24 15 10/22 xt 3mi 4 mi 4 mi xt 3mi 11 mi 25 16 10/29 xt 3mi 3mi 4 mi xt 3mi 12 mi 25 17 11/5 xt 3mi 3mi 3 mi xt 3mi 6 mi 18 18 11/12 xt 3mi 3mi 3 mi xt 3mi Half!!! 25.1

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
      2008 Philly Trifecta:
      10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
      Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
      Philly Marathon-11/23
      "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

Hey Dave, Welcome to RA! Your half plan looks good. I think your intake is probably too low given your current weight and planned activity level. I just wanted to let you know of a group here on RA called Jiggly Joggers that quite a few of us are members of - in addition to a weight loss challenge (just started today - you can join anytime) you will find a lot of support there. Check out this post by our resident math expert, Stephen, for some great information on computing a good starting point for your caloric intake while taking into account your activity level.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

2008 Philly Trifecta

Thanks Bonkin! I joined the Jiggles Confused Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
          2008 Philly Trifecta:
          10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
          Philly Marathon-11/23

Welcome!
            2009: BQ?

Now that was a bath...

Welcome to RA! Big grin
            • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
            • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                Hi Dave, welcome to RA. Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

2008 Philly Trifecta

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I really appreciate all the well wishes and input. Looks like many of you are quite the Inspiration! Wink I'm feeling really good! It's Friday evening, and beautiful, breezy, warm summer evening here in ol' NJ. I've stayed clean on my diet all week. Just tweaking how many calories. Runs going well...life is goooood! Have a great long run this weekend! Dave

2008 Philly Trifecta:
                  10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                  Philly Marathon-11/23

Hello all, I started running a little less than a year ago and ran my first 5k about a 3 month ago with a time of 20:16. Know i am stuck and cannot shave anymore time off. Does anybody have any suggestions. My goal is to break 18 but am having trouble. I am training about 4 to 5 times a week and averaging 25 to 30 miles a week. Please help!
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

slbryand, you should probably make your log public so we can se what you've been doing... BTW, 20:16 is a very good 1st 5k time!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Prophet!

BTW, 20:16 is a very good 1st 5k time!
                        i would love to be stuck on 20:16... Smile
                          hi, njdave! welcome to RA! i'm slowly getting back into things after some knee issues, but i hope to be @ the philly half in november, too! ps: where in nj are you? i'm in jersey city & highland park (weird combo, i know)!

2008 Philly Trifecta

Hi littlem! When you have a set-back, I've learned to take a step-back, and plan your come-back!!! Big grin I live in South Jersey...about 20 min outside of Philly. See ya 11/18!!! Dave

2008 Philly Trifecta:
                            10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                            Philly Marathon-11/23