Are you a But-er? (Read 1101 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

<h6>Posted of Facebook by a club member</h6> <h6>BEWARE OF PEOPLE WHO USE THE WORD "BUT" AFTER YOU SAY SOMETHING. MOST LIKELY THEY ARE JEALOUS HYPOCRITICAL EVIL DOERS.
    Webster's II New Riverside University Dictionary: But = often used after a negative doubt.
    Examples: You say: It's a nice day today. They say: But the weatherman said it might rain.
    You say: I am buying a new car. They say: But can you afford it?
    You say: I am going to marry Susan. They say: But are you sure she is the right one.
    You say: I am going to become a vegetarian. They say: But without protein from meat you may get cancer.

Again as stated yesterday, be brief with your words when talking to people other then a true friend and or a relative who cares about you and loves you.
    </h6>

My take:But very often shows concern. I am going to jump off the Golden Gate bridge. But, what about the ones you leave behind. A case of the "glass half full".

.PS: How soon will the anus references appear? Smile Yes, I am the but person or anus if you like. Dam,that was quick.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

xor

I don't mean to interrupt, but... (I now interrupt)

I don't mean to sound snarky, but... (I now say something super snarky)

I don't mean to complain, but... (I now totally complain)

I'm still trying to come up with a fancy name for this phraseology.

A Saucy Wench

Wow.  Jealous hypocritical evil doers.  My mom gets annoying BUT I wouldnt go so far as to call her evil.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

then there is the cringe worthy:

I'm not a racist but...

mikeymike

Since we're doing cringeworthy...

"She's a butter face."

"A what?"

"A butter face.  You know.  Everything looks good but her face."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Runners run

xor

then there is the cringe worthy:

I'm not a racist but...

I had forgotten about that one.  I actually get that one whipped out on me from time to time.  (more about 30 years ago than now).

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Since we're doing cringeworthy...

"She's a butter face."

"A what?"

"A butter face.  You know.  Everything looks good but her face."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

A 1 !

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Best Present Ever

My daughter is forbidden from using that construction.  It seems very popular among 11 year old girls.  "I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but .."

bhearn

"I don't mean to sound arrogant, but . . ." The effects of using disclaimers on person perception.

El-Alayli AMyers CJPetersen TLLystad AL.

Source

Eastern Washington University, USA.

Abstract

Limited research has examined the effects of using disclaimers on person perception, and none has examined disclaimer effectiveness. Four studies test whether disclaimers effectively ward off negative judgments regarding the specific disclaimed traits. Study 1 finds that using an arrogance disclaimer ("I don't mean to sound arrogant, but . . .") increased judgments of the speaker's arrogance but only when followed by an arrogant comment. Studies 2 and 3 yield similar findings using laziness and selfishness disclaimers. Studies 2, 3, and 4 examine five possible underlying mechanisms regarding why disclaimers can backfire. The most support was obtained for the notion that disclaimers increase an audience's expectations that the speaker will say something consistent with the unwanted trait, which then increases perceptions of that trait in the speaker. We discuss some possible moderating variables as well as some implications of these findings for general impression formation models.

npaden

Not trying to start an argument, but ..... Insert critical subjective view that is the opposite of the original poster here.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xor

Man, I would have never thought to look that up... but I am extra excited that it is in pubmed.

"I don't mean to sound arrogant, but . . ." The effects of using disclaimers on person perception.

El-Alayli AMyers CJPetersen TLLystad AL.

Source

Eastern Washington University, USA.

Abstract

Limited research has examined the effects of using disclaimers on person perception, and none has examined disclaimer effectiveness. Four studies test whether disclaimers effectively ward off negative judgments regarding the specific disclaimed traits. Study 1 finds that using an arrogance disclaimer ("I don't mean to sound arrogant, but . . .") increased judgments of the speaker's arrogance but only when followed by an arrogant comment. Studies 2 and 3 yield similar findings using laziness and selfishness disclaimers. Studies 2, 3, and 4 examine five possible underlying mechanisms regarding why disclaimers can backfire. The most support was obtained for the notion that disclaimers increase an audience's expectations that the speaker will say something consistent with the unwanted trait, which then increases perceptions of that trait in the speaker. We discuss some possible moderating variables as well as some implications of these findings for general impression formation models.

"I don't mean to suck all the fun out of the room, but ..."

Evil

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

bhearn

.PS: How soon will the anus references appear? Smile Yes, I am the but person or anus if you like. Dam,that was quick.

I am also a (Bay to Breakers) butt-er. But I will spare you the photographic proof.

Passive-aggressive.