Today's 14.5-mile commute to work...on foot (Read 940 times)

mikeymike

Got my long run in, mid-week: Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting This was cool. I think I'm going to make this a weekly ritual. Once the ice and snow melts it will be even better and I will have more choices of routes, even some trails. There were some icy spots out there and at at times I had to chose between and icy rutted sidewalk and running on busy streets, but mostly it was okay. When I got to my office I went into the little coffee shop and ordered one of everything on the menu. Mmmm.

Runners run

va

That's one way to reduce our dependency on foreign oil! Big grin Well done!
      derek

So will you do a double long run and run back home after work? I now work from home so my commute is only about 20', but the last time I had to commute to work, it was 1.8 miles away and I still wouldn't have run it. My company didn't have any shower facilities.

Derek

mikeymike

Hell no! 14+ is enough for one day. I'll be relying on foreign oil for the return trip, either by train or by car depending on whether I can hitch a ride with a friend or not.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

How much longer did it take you than your vehicular commute? Looks like somebody's bumping their mileage. The 2000 mile club disease...
            Scout7

Nice job! I've done that, too, but for me it's only 7 miles. You should look into using your bike, too....
              mikeymike

How much longer did it take you than your vehicular commute? Looks like somebody's bumping their mileage. The 2000 mile club disease...
                My drive is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour inbound, 30-45 minutes outbound. On the train, it's a solid 65 minutes each way including walking to and from the train on both ends. But on Wednesdays, I generally run for 60-70 minutes anyway. So instead of running for 60 minutes and sitting in traffic for 60 minutes, I ran for 1:45 and I was here. As for 2000 mile club disease, well this was always part of the master plan for 2007. 55-60 mpw for the next couple of months...we'll see. Scout, I've done it on a bike a few times too. But this fits in better with my training plan.

Runners run

I saw you left your house at 5:45 AM. I'm curious, from the moment you wake up how long does it take you to get out on the road? 14.5 miles isn't a casual run. I imagine you've got to eat something before you head out. Just wondering...

You'll ruin your knees!

Great job Mike! I have done that a few times bout the same/little longer distance and it always feels great to be free of the car! One thing to consider is alternating between running and biking...you know, bike to work, run home...next time run to work, bike home...doesn't seem so daunting that way. I'll be picking that back up once my fitness center reopens (from remodeling, dang it's been closed since mid-Oct...killin' me, I tell ya' killin' me!). Way to go! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

mikeymike

I saw you left your house at 5:45 AM. I'm curious, from the moment you wake up how long does it take you to get out on the road? 14.5 miles isn't a casual run. I imagine you've got to eat something before you head out. Just wondering...
                      My normal routine is to run between 5:30 and 5:45, so I'm used to it. The whole process of getting up, putting in contacts, getting dressed, sneaking downstairs, drinking some gatorade, putting on shoes, doing some pushups and crunches, checking the weather, going to the bathroom and getting out the door takes about 20-30 minutes depending how tired I am and how organized I've been in laying everything out the night before. I don't eat anything before an early a.m. run like that.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had a teacher in HS who would do that from time to time. I think it was only 10-12 miles to school, but there were several REALLY wicked hills between his house and school and all of them were uphill in that direction (and mostly on the 2 lane hwy through the rural area, without much of a shoulder). Back then I thought he was crazy, now I think it's cool. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

madness baby

You're my hero! Big grin
                          deb
                            That is awesome! Gosh that map is making me miss Boston...
                            JakeKnight

Questions: 1) How am I going to catch you if you keep doing crap like this? Aren't you due to start tapering for something soon? 2) Ain't it hard to find good running routes into a major city? The thought of trying to run into downtown Nashville gives me the creeping horrors. (Yes, Nashvillians, I could take Hwy70/West End the whole way, but that doesn't seem very appealing). 3) And the biggie - where do you carry your briefcase? Modified to add: Hey - you're from Reading. I used to own your railroad. (I bet you've never heard that one!)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So instead of running for 60 minutes and sitting in traffic for 60 minutes, I ran for 1:45 and I was here.
                                Yeah, but you need to add in your shower time. You did shower, didn't you? Oh wait. You probably shower anyways. If that is the case, what are you doing in that stinking 2000 mile club? Fresh and clean is not allowed. Sheesh.