Should I dial back the mileage for a week? (Read 1325 times)

Feeling the growl again

Yup I'm fat and slow.  I plan on being not so fat and not so slow in the future.  I've been going out to hard.  Unfortunately my gps app doesn't upload here but my first 2-3 km I've being running at a  5:30 km  pace (not mile I'm not crazy enough to attempt that) and then I slow down because I have to.  I will try to run a more even pace and give a true easy run or two a week. 

One of my goals is to run a sub 30min 5k at the end of April and I keep racing myself to get there.

Thanks for the input.  I just feel so slow when I back off the intensity but I guess its better to start off slow and keep going than burn out fast and give up.

Please don't think I was insinuating you were slow, I was simply pulling the numbers from your log to illustrate.  You're speaking to someone whose first official race was a 27 minute 2-mile.  If you want to know slow, I can show you Wink  I was fat, too.

You've gotten a lot of good advice.  It can be hard for newer runners to understand that all this slow running really does make you run faster, and doing faster running can actually make you slower.  Get consistent, run at whatever pace allows to get get consistent and run the distance, and over time you'll get there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

i was worried you may think you offended me but not to worry I'm all good.  I am fat and slow and I knew that well before I ever posted here.  I'm proud to be fat and slow when there are so many fat and stopped in the world.  Slow will get faster and fat will get leaner.  As long as I get my shoes on and get out the door I'm way ahead of the curve.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

DoppleBock

When I started running I was > 300# over 8 years ago. (6'2)

I still run large - Currently 210-215 with all my PRs set 200-205#

I am shooting to hit 190# as a good racing weight - Some day. 

I wish I had run slower in training when I 1st started.  Every day was a hard run - So every day was hard both pysically and mentally.  At the start it was fun - But eventually I did not look forward to hurting all run long. 

As Jeff said - Consistency of training is huge.

i was worried you may think you offended me but not to worry I'm all good.  I am fat and slow and I knew that well before I ever posted here.  I'm proud to be fat and slow when there are so many fat and stopped in the world.  Slow will get faster and fat will get leaner.  As long as I get my shoes on and get out the door I'm way ahead of the curve.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I'm proud to be fat and slow when there are so many fat and stopped in the world.  Slow will get faster and fat will get leaner.  As long as I get my shoes on and get out the door I'm way ahead of the curve.

Good attitude

Definition:  (see above)

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Consistent training is the single biggest key to improvement. Hi mileage weeks are nearly worthless if the end result is injury or down time after a month's time. Train smart.