P90X and running..... (Read 3573 times)

Maggie & Molly

can I blend the two?  My hubby bought the set last year but until now I haven't checked it out.  What I am curious about is does it have to be consecutive days and would substituting running for the cardio days work?  I have finally gotten my running back to where I think I am seeing progress (after at least a year of injuries, etc) so I really don't want to mess with that.  I would like to run 4 days a week minimum with the other days being available for cross training.  I would love any feedback!!!!  thanks.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
    Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Intentionally Blank

Cherrie, you'll find other threads about this, but the short answer is yes.  I ran during p90x.  I just doubled most days, but I think that subbing the cardio for running is great.  If you wanted to run 4 days at minimum, I would sub out plyometrics and kenpo, and run on upper body workout days.  Maybe not run on yoga or legs and back day.

Looking back at my log, I averaged 32.6 miles a week.  I started with 25+ the first month, and then tried to build up.  I may have had bigger gains in p90x had I not been running, because I was sometimes to tired to really give 100% tot eh p90x workouts.  But I had a ton of fun, and will do a round 2 one of these days.

RFeller

I completely agree.  Running while training with P90X is not a problem at all, unless you count being tired as a problem.  Actually, I was running while I did another BeachBody program called Insanity, which is VERY cardio intensive.  So, when I began P90X, I actually felt that I could run even more because it has very little cardio exercise in it.  If you like to be lean, then the X and running should do that for you.  You'll drop body fat like crazy.

Maggie & Molly

thanks!!

Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

See my log for how I do it.  I did a round of P90x over the winter than started to add it with my running and the last 4 weeks I really dailed into a routine I like that seems to be giving me the best of both worlds.. I will be intergrating it this summer with marathon training using a similar set up. I will be doing some of the P90x plus workouts and Tony Horton's one on one's as well.....I love his stuff. I choose to only run 3 days per week but if I added a forth I would run on Sunday. I'm considering this.  I have been subbing out Yoga X with Tony Horton's fountain of Youth Yoga which is only a 45 min session. This free's up 45 minutes for me to get in a run in on that day.

I'm not a doubles person. I personally would overtrain trying to do it. I just came up with a happy medium so I can recover well and make my workouts count.

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

Maggie & Molly

Thanks for the info!

Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Just found this story on how P90X can work for runners.  Why it works and how to incorporate into your training or to adapt to runners.

http://running.competitor.com/2010/10/ask-the-experts/ask-the-experts-is-p90x-good-for-runners_15874

I've been cherry picking parts of P90X into my routine for several months.  It obviously isn't a program I can do every day and keep up with my running schedule since it leaves me sore and fatigued.  This program pushes me to do intense workouts and that carries over into my running.

Andy

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

Slice

Just found this story on how P90X can work for runners.  Why it works and how to incorporate into your training or to adapt to runners.

http://running.competitor.com/2010/10/ask-the-experts/ask-the-experts-is-p90x-good-for-runners_15874

I've been cherry picking parts of P90X into my routine for several months.  It obviously isn't a program I can do every day and keep up with my running schedule since it leaves me sore and fatigued.  This program pushes me to do intense workouts and that carries over into my running.

Andy

Thanks for the link! I think I'm definitely going to force myself to restart P90X. I usually make it about 3 days before I give up... I wish someone would come out with a DVD series specifically designed for runners. I feel like this part here was written about me: Most runners really don’t work very hard. They are willing to spend a lot of time training, but they resist the pain of high intensities. Roll eyes

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning