Knee bruising + back pain (Read 38 times)

Hello,

I have a doctor's appointment scheduled but the earliest I could be seen is in two weeks and I'm trying to figure out what's going on and what to do in the mean time. I'm 25y, normal weight and have been running for over a year (had to take a break in the summer for 2 months but got back into it in August and am just keeping tracks of my runs on my phone). I run 4.5-5 miles a day, 6-7 days a week at 12:00-13:30/mile.

About 1 week ago my upper back, by my left shoulder blade started hurting. It fades after a while but I realized that it comes back after running (not during). I've focused on my posture and made sure that I'm not tense but nothing seems to fix it. My shoes don't have a ton of miles on them yet and I haven't changed where I run or anything else relating to my running. What could it be and what can I do to stop it?

Then, maybe related maybe not?, yesterday I noticed a bruise the size of a plum on the outside of my right knee. I didn't fall or hit my knee. The bruise is pretty dark and though I felt no pain while running or walking it does hurt when I press it. It freaked me out and I iced it and didn't run yesterday but walked for a long time and now have a bunch of small bruises on the outside of my left knee. What could it be?! It doesn't particularly hurt but should I stop running? Thanks so much.

Joann Y

It's very tempting to speculate about the possibilities here, there are many. Go see your doctor and tell them everything that you have mentioned here. Also, pay attention to when you get that shoulder pain and tell your doctor that too (related to exercise - before/after, related to when you eat - before/after, etc). I don't know if you should run, you're going to have to make that call.

RobertBennett

Well you haven't specified much information about your back pain. So nothing can be specified. But those unexplained bruises. Well firstly please note that bruises that appear in the same area without getting injured can be life threatening. You need to immediately consult a physician. Check this for more information and help on your queries. You can get online help for your problems here.