How Many Times Do You Stop to Pee During a Marathon? (Read 402 times)

joescott

PISSING CONTEST!!!

Best comment of the thread.  Smile

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

The Gatorade bottle/garbage bag strategy JoeScott was referring to is a common one--he's telling the truth.

Yep, I think I first read about it in one of my training books.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

7 marathons....1 stop.....My very first marathon.  And that was after I TRIED (I mean I really TRIED) to pee while running.  Couldn't do it.  It's the only time I've ever had to stop during a race of any distance.

I had the same experience in my last race (half-marathon). I just couldn't do it.

--

Nashville, TN

uncontrollable

None, ever.

peace

PISSING CONTEST!!!

I don't participate in those they are fruitless :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

In my first I had to stop twice, in my fourth, once.  But that averages to only about 1/3.

However, I have had to stop once for a poo break in a (steep, mountainous) marathon, and three times in long-distance mountain trail races.  Something about steep trails makes me have to go, la la la.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I had to pee halfway through my wedding service. It was a 90 minute, full liturgy. I leaned over to my bride during one of the hymns and said to her, "Pssst. I have to pee!" She turned back to me and said, "Not 'till after the vows." So, during a hymn after the vows, I snuck out. And there was a line ... 10.5 years of marriage later, and nearly 5 years as a pastor, I tell this story to all my couples preparing for marriage. Of course, most of them don't have 90 minute wedding liturgies ...

As for running, I seem to always need to pee. Even on short runs. I'm working on this, trying to learn how to not have to pee during a run. But, I'm also trying to figure out if there are discreet places along the side of the Twin Cities Marathon where I could stop to pee without waiting in line for a port-a-potty. I've heard that there are spectators EVERYWHERE, which could be a problem. My one and only marathon before this, the National Marathon in DC two years ago, there were several spots along the way where folks - male and female - stopped for a 30-second pee break without any lines, just on the side of the road, against a wall, or in a few shrubs ...

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Feeling the growl again

Only 1 time I ever had an issue.  First time running Chicago, got in line for the porta-johns....and waited, and waited.  Chose the wrong ones, apparently.  Finally got too close to the gun, and despite a very full bladder pushed all my gear to my wife and sprinted for the corrals.  I was seeded up front but the gun went off when I was around the 3:45 pace signs.  Made for an interesting first few miles.

Around 14 miles, it was so bad I finally decided to just douse myself in lemonade-flavored gatorade and pee myself.  With the race I was running, no way in hell I was going to stop.  I really wanted to but by then everything had just shut down and I was not able to do it.  So I just kept going, ending up with my 2nd fastest marathon ever.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

I ran a marathon today and did not stop to pee.

SubDood

As for running, I seem to always need to pee. Even on short runs. I'm working on this, trying to learn how to not have to pee during a run. But, I'm also trying to figure out if there are discreet places along the side of the Twin Cities Marathon where I could stop to pee without waiting in line for a port-a-potty. I've heard that there are spectators EVERYWHERE, which could be a problem.

I went twice during the 2012 Twin Cities Marathon. (I thought it was 3 times, but I checked my Garmin results and only saw 2 occasions where my mile splits were about 30 seconds slower.) I stopped both times and used a porta-john; no Gatorade or other tricks. There are not many (if any) "discreet" locations along the course.  There are a lot of porta-johns along the course, but you are right about the spectators. I was about to use a porta-john around mile 8, but as I approached, a young boy spectator snuck in right before me. There was another about 2 miles later, but at the time, I almost screamed.

I am somewhat surprised by the data. I'm clearly in the minority. I ran a Half Marathon this weekend. Peed right before the start. Had to use a porta-john at mile 8. And I did not drink much beforehand. Is there a training program for this?

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I had to pee halfway through my wedding service. It was a 90 minute, full liturgy. I leaned over to my bride during one of the hymns and said to her, "Pssst. I have to pee!" She turned back to me and said, "Not 'till after the vows." So, during a hymn after the vows, I snuck out. And there was a line ... 10.5 years of marriage later, and nearly 5 years as a pastor, I tell this story to all my couples preparing for marriage. Of course, most of them don't have 90 minute wedding liturgies ...

As for running, I seem to always need to pee. Even on short runs. I'm working on this, trying to learn how to not have to pee during a run. But, I'm also trying to figure out if there are discreet places along the side of the Twin Cities Marathon where I could stop to pee without waiting in line for a port-a-potty. I've heard that there are spectators EVERYWHERE, which could be a problem. My one and only marathon before this, the National Marathon in DC two years ago, there were several spots along the way where folks - male and female - stopped for a 30-second pee break without any lines, just on the side of the road, against a wall, or in a few shrubs ...

Lol, great wedding story!  Who knew, you were training for at least one aspect of the marathon even then!  And it's starting to sound like you, SubDood, and I need to look into these:

C'mon, Camelbak or Nathan...get on a running version!

Spaniel...maybe you're onto something there.  A little extra motivation to get the race done with, eh?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Around 14 miles, it was so bad I finally decided to just douse myself in lemonade-flavored gatorade... 

You know how you get ants? THIS is how you get ants.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

C'mon, Camelbak or Nathan...get on a running version!

I am reminded of the hospital scene in Catch-22.