Dog encounters (Read 889 times)

Do any of you guys have dog encouter stories while running? 3 weeks ago on an early morning run, two very large loose dogs (one a pit bull) charged me. Luckly for me there was a parked pickup truck right next to me, so I jumped in the back of the bed. The killer dogs ran around the truck a few times, then, just ran off. Needless to say when the coast was clear, I jumped out and finished my run in the other direction. Wink Now I carry pepper spray with me. Evil grin
    Join me on a run.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I believe TX is instituting a law which will impose $10K fines to dog owners when they attack someone.
      I think that is a good idea, in addition to putting the animal down. Perhaps people would think before letting any dog loose if they might feel pain in their own pocketbook. But I think there should be fines for simply having a loose dog, even if it doesn't attack. Waiting to fine people until after their dog has harmed someone else is too late, IMO. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

I've been running almost 25 years now.  I just got in from a run that included the worst dog encounter I've ever had.

I was running in a rural area; the dog (60-70lb pit bull or pit mix) was a good 50 yards from the road when we saw each other, and the owner right next to it.  It charged for me, so I stopped.  The owner yelled and ran after it but it didn't care.  As it approached the road ears were back, front teeth bared, and head down, hair up...no good.  I waved and yelled, and as it came in for the bite I mock-charged it to force it to re-think.  Most dogs would snap out of it at this point and dance away to let me back out of the situation, but this one was committed to causing damage.  He faked a couple times, and then launched himself straight for my throat.

Exactly what happened is  a bit of a blur, but apparently adrenaline gives me cat-like reflexes.  Somehow I caught him by the collar with my right hand just before his teeth reached my neck, and by the hair or skin of his rear flank as I twisted away and his momentum carried him past me.  I pile-drove him head-first into the bottom of the ditch behind me.  Not exactly a planned maneuver but it stunned him long enough for the owner to catch up.

The dog really wanted to continue the fight and tried to get around the owner a few times, but the owner deservedly beat the crap out of him every time he tried until another guy came and hauled the dog into the house.

The owner was appropriately apologetic and more visibly shaken than I was.  I guess he'd only had the dog a few months and other than knowing the dog did not listen to him and was very, very protective, he had no idea what it was capable of and was very concerned whether I'd been bitten and was OK.  I wasn't happy but he had done everything I'd done in that situation (except not letting it happen to begin with) so I thanked him for his concern, made a not-so-casual recommendation that I find the dog chained up next time I passed by, and left.

Beer-thirty comes a bit early tonight.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jeebus!

Glad you are ok

You would think with a name like Spaniel, you would get along  with dogs

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Holy crap!

Glad you're okay Spaniel.

steph  

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Wow. I am so glad you're here to tell, Spaniel. Savor that beer.

This on the heels of a fatal dog attack of a runner here that has me - again - concerned about loose dogs.

I'm glad to know cat-like reflexes are a possibility. Damn...

Liz

pace sera, sera

I had an encounter this past Sat that scared me abit but nothing close to what you two experienced !  wow ,  incredible stories that easily could have been much worse.    Spaniel/Oldguy     very glad you both are ok !

C-R

Glad you're ok bud. That was way to close.

I'm a huge dog fan but that one sounds like a case to be put down

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Glad you're ok bud. That was way to close.

I'm a huge dog fan but that one sounds like a case to be put down

It may be more practical to run with my friend's Tire Buddy next time I go past there, don't think it would be hurt by sweat:

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

dennrunner

Wow!, spaniel.  You have bear spray don't you?

Feeling the growl again

Wow!, spaniel.  You have bear spray don't you?

I've carried large bore handguns as backup in bear country in the past and planned to pick up bear spray for the next trip...so I don't have any yet.  Though I have considered for the pack of dogs that come out of the trailer park a mile from where this incident occurred.

Julia1971

I've been running almost 25 years now.  I just got in from a run that included the worst dog encounter I've ever had.

I was running in a rural area; the dog (60-70lb pit bull or pit mix) was a good 50 yards from the road when we saw each other, and the owner right next to it.  It charged for me, so I stopped.  The owner yelled and ran after it but it didn't care.  As it approached the road ears were back, front teeth bared, and head down, hair up...no good.  I waved and yelled, and as it came in for the bite I mock-charged it to force it to re-think.  Most dogs would snap out of it at this point and dance away to let me back out of the situation, but this one was committed to causing damage.  He faked a couple times, and then launched himself straight for my throat.

Exactly what happened is  a bit of a blur, but apparently adrenaline gives me cat-like reflexes.  Somehow I caught him by the collar with my right hand just before his teeth reached my neck, and by the hair or skin of his rear flank as I twisted away and his momentum carried him past me.  I pile-drove him head-first into the bottom of the ditch behind me.  Not exactly a planned maneuver but it stunned him long enough for the owner to catch up.

The dog really wanted to continue the fight and tried to get around the owner a few times, but the owner deservedly beat the crap out of him every time he tried until another guy came and hauled the dog into the house.

The owner was appropriately apologetic and more visibly shaken than I was.  I guess he'd only had the dog a few months and other than knowing the dog did not listen to him and was very, very protective, he had no idea what it was capable of and was very concerned whether I'd been bitten and was OK.  I wasn't happy but he had done everything I'd done in that situation (except not letting it happen to begin with) so I thanked him for his concern, made a not-so-casual recommendation that I find the dog chained up next time I passed by, and left.

Beer-thirty comes a bit early tonight.

Wow.  Very scary.  You were very gracious (? not sure that's the word but a lot of people would have reacted differently after the situation).

Cheers!

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I had one today too. Was in a large metro woods covered park. Dogs are required to be leashed and are not supposed to be on any trails. I popped out of a trail near a picnic/swings area when this large lab/rottwhiler (sp?) mix comes charging me as fast as it can. I'm back peddling as fast as possible and waving my arms. Its trying to get at me. Owner is running over with stick in hand. If I had turned my back and tried running away, I'm sure I wouldn't be sitting right now. I told the owners to keep it on a leash. 20 feet later a ranger comes by and I wave her down and complain. Later she told me she was headed to them already to warn them about not being off leash.

I really have to say, since I started running, I've developed a real dislike for dogs. Too many of them are too unpredictable around runners. I've had to give up running in the park closest to me as a dog training group meets there and I've been charged and snapped at dozens of times. I had to decide that running with cars on the street was safer.

I'm also thinking of carrying bear spray. I'd really love to give one of these aggressive dogs a face full of pepper spray.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental