Half Marathon or Full Marathon (Read 954 times)

JakeKnight

Speaking of listening - or not:
    Well, I am going to go for it. I just sent the email to change me to the Marathon.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

IMKY13 finish!!

Not sure what the course is like, but at the Country Music Marathon/Half Marathon, both run the same route until about mile 11.5. At that point, the half marathoners split off from the full and go onto to their finish line. This past year, I signed up for the full…but I had some injuries & didn’t do quite the training that I wanted to do. So at the split, I just went on the route as the rest of the half marathoners. You could always do the same thing…run with all intentions of doing the full…then at the split (if there is one), if you aren’t prepared for the full (or just don’t feel right/good), just do the half.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Jim make a very good point.......I know that I ran a marathon one and I'm just now thinking about doing it again...it wasn't a great experience because I was not properly trained..........Point well taken Jim....

Champions are made when no one is watching

JimR

Concerns about “enjoying the experience” don’t carry much weight with me either. Let’s face it, they all hurt during the last 10k .
          Yeah, the romance of the experience fades pretty quickly when you're having trouble getting one foot in front of the other. Having run both good and bad marathons, I'll take the good any day cuz those bad ones sucked cheese curds. To the OP, good luck.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Good luck, my $.02. that nooo one has mentioned yet. Those LSD runs require time for recovery. I'm talking protein shakes, feet up and read good book or watch some goofy T.V. Also, plan on sleeping more and adjust your eating patterns to fit your new needs. Best of luck to you.
            Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
              One of the half marathons I am doing is the beginning of September and the other is the beginning of October. If I run them slow, wouldn't it be good as a LSD training runs?
              L Train

One of the half marathons I am doing is the beginning of September and the other is the beginning of October. If I run them slow, wouldn't it be good as a LSD training runs?
                Yes, as long as you don't race them full out. I think you can run them reasonably hard, though (faster than you normally would run LSD). For me, a half-hard effort 2-3 weeks before a race is a GOOD thing. You could maybe do this by trying a progressive run, starting out slow and then increasing until you are finishing at MP. That way you get the benefit of running some miles at MP without tearing yourself down.

JimR

I'd skp the October half. It's very hard to discipline yourself to not overdo it in a race, no matter your intentions. You can do what you want in September, in October your focus needs to be on being prepared for the race. Running a long race like a half isn't a good idea.
                    I'd skp the October half. It's very hard to discipline yourself to not overdo it in a race, no matter your intentions. You can do what you want in September, in October your focus needs to be on being prepared for the race. Running a long race like a half isn't a good idea.
                    I agree and would add this to what you said...I think it's better to be prepared to race when you put on a number. I know that a lot of people do them as training runs, but psychologically it can make it easier to slow down in an important race when the going gets tough. Doing a longer training run instead of one of those half marathons is probably going to help your marathon time more. If you are going to run one of them I say race it.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      I really appreciate your feedback and I am going to take your advice. The half is hilly and I really want to do my best for my first marathon. Thank you for taking the time to answer my post.