Getting Light Headed during my run (Read 227 times)

spartanrob

During my last few runs, i've been getting light headed about 15 minutes into my run.  My diet and pre-run nutrition/routine has not changed.  Weather was not an issue as today was 60 degrees with low humidity.  Anything I should be looking for?

Typically goes away after the run.  Do I need to eat/drink more before my run?  I typically don't carry any water or snacks on runs less than 4 miles.

any help/opinions is greatly appreciated.

lilcat19

It very well could be diet related. If you are running more and not taking in as much fluid or refueling properly, that might be the cause. Your blood sugar may  be low, but that is just a thought.

Another cause could be anxiety. For me, personally, that is what caused my dizziness related to my running. For the most part I have managed to do away with it, but that is another thought. If you are having a lot of stress right now, that could be your cause.

"Snacks" aren't really needed on runs less than 1 hour. If you have fueled properly, your body has enough reserve to go for 60 minutes without needing anything. If you are going on a longer run, you should plan out when you are needing your snacks. For me, I take sports beans and eat 1-2 every 10 minutes starting about 30-40 minutes in for runs typically over 13 miles. But, listen to your body and do what is best for you.

But dizziness is a tough topic because it could be related to many things.

Imminent Catastrophe

I thought this would be about headlamps.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Have you kicked up the intensity? Are you running hills where previously you were running flats?

Are you stressing about an upcoming race?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

II Run II

you may be dehydrated, or your blood pressure may be too low (when you sweat, you lose salt, which can be replenished by gatorade)

it could be many factors.

#artbydmcbride

Have a check up.  Especially some blood work.  Have them check your sugar and your thyroid.

Runners run

spartanrob

Thanks All.

today is a rest day, but still have some symptoms.  going to give it through the weekend and if no improvement, off to the Dr.

Chasing the bus

Sounds like when my blood sugar crashes during a run. I have to be careful what and when I eat. If I keep my insulin response down, no problem. If I spike it and then go for a run two hours later...crash!

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                  Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

During my last few runs, i've been getting light headed about 15 minutes into my run.  My diet and pre-run nutrition/routine has not changed.  Weather was not an issue as today was 60 degrees with low humidity.  Anything I should be looking for?

Typically goes away after the run.  Do I need to eat/drink more before my run?  I typically don't carry any water or snacks on runs less than 4 miles.

any help/opinions is greatly appreciated.

It happens to me at trail races. Not sure if it is low blood pressure or just being in the woods. I never train on trails. Switchbacks are not my friend.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Andy X

I had a similar problem, only my light headedness was mostly after a run. After visiting the docs & a blood test it was low blood pressure doing it to me. I have been on quite a high dose of BP tablet as I have hereditary high BP, since I started to run last year the fitness I have gained has meant that the tablets are now too strong & are actually taking my BP far too low, especially after exertion. I'm off the tablets now pending another blood test, but the doc reckons I'll probably go back on to a 25% dose. Interestingly, as I'm on meds I am tested every 5-6 months & she said my cholestorol has gone from 6.9 down to 4.3, without me changing my (bad) diet at all - Running's good for you!

drrbradford

Low calories (net or gross). Low caffeine if you're a habitual user. Low iron or other metal. All of the above have caused me to feel very light headed at times. See your doctor regardless. It's what they're there for.