Smokers (Read 973 times)

Anyone ever driven near Gary, IN with the windows open?  I don't know how anything can live there.

Yes.  Similar smell.

The one time I drove near Gary, it was NOT raining, but something came down out of the sky and hit my windshield.  it was blue/purple.  Then, without liquid, it started to "melt" on my windshield into a rainbow of colors. 

God knows what it was...I stopped as soon as I could to get gas and wipe it off.

Jeff

Yes.  Similar smell.

The one time I drove near Gary, it was NOT raining, but something came down out of the sky and hit my windshield.  it was blue/purple.  Then, without liquid, it started to "melt" on my windshield into a rainbow of colors. 

God knows what it was...I stopped as soon as I could to get gas and wipe it off.

That sounds awesome. Unicorn poop maybe? 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ostrich poop?  Did it look really old? Millenia, even?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ostrich runner

Anyone ever driven near Gary, IN with the windows open?  I don't know how anything can live there.

Did you ever see the sign that said Gary: murder capitol of the country and the home of the nation's lowest paid police officers?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

The irony of people poking fun at the smells of refineries and steel mills as they drive by them is not lost on me...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Ostrich runner

The irony of people poking fun at the smells of refineries and steel mills as they drive by them is not lost on me...

Hoosiers don't like to be trifled by their peasants or their workplaces.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Did anyone else notice the fairly high correlation between high smoking rates and political consevatism on that US map?

Feeling the growl again

If you would rather run through Gary, be my guest... Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I've spent a fair number of days in Gary and East Chicago (for work), and I actually lived in Elizabeth for a summer (internship). Never run in Gary. Ran once in Elizabeth...once was enough to know not to try that again.

Point was, these places make our country (and our cars especially) "run". They stink so we can whiz past them.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

I've spent a fair number of days in Gary and East Chicago (for work), and I actually lived in Elizabeth for a summer (internship). Never run in Gary. Ran once in Elizabeth...once was enough to know not to try that again.

Point was, these places make our country (and our cars especially) "run". They stink so we can whiz past them.

I got your point, but it doesn't change the fact that it smells and it must be miserable to live anywhere near it.  There are plenty of places that make steel that are not anywhere near as nasty as Gary.  I live near a (albiet smaller) steel mill, I run/drive around it often and smell nothing.  I don't see any irony in driving a car like 80-90% of the people in this country and not liking the smell of outdated smelters, or feeling bad for the people that live close to them (like the kids who don't have a say in the matter).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills