two questions track workouts on treadmill and best intervals to prepare for tough mudder (Read 1135 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Wait; is jester really the one who put that video together?.  Could a man break 2-hours if he worked on more efficient running style?  You know, it could be possible.  I would not throw this idea out the window based on the "concept".   What the hell does cheetah living in Kenya have got anything to do with this?  Hipo lives in Kenya too.  And pygmies catching ostriches?  Do they catch them in a head-to-head footrace or do they actually use what human seem to have most over any other form of animal; intelligence (brain) and skillset (hands)? 

And I'll study T-Rex run when I got 1/3 of my entire body weight in my tail.  With that kind of tail, my Center of Gravity might shift a tad...

Well sadly, I didn't make the video. I'm one who doesn't limit myself to a one dimensional measurement of any athlete.

Yes vertical lift is a valid measure. That's why I asked earlier how far a marathon runner runs and none of you answered. Anyone who says 26.2 miles has no biomechanic education at all....

As the video documents vertical lift, it doesn't calculate lateral displacement at all. that's why we swing our arms when we run, to limit lateral sway as we run. Vertical lift combined with lateral sway totals far more in actual distance added to a marathon race than just what the video link documents (which proves how inept most "analysts" truly are). I'm not that stupid.

Humans don't just push ourselves up and down. A competent running coach would tell you that the body travels in a figure eight pattern. That's why I measure runners in a 3-D perspective, rather than just from a side view only as "experts" do..

It also doesn't factor in fact that humans can't walk or run straight either.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/21/science/21circles.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&ref=nutrition&adxnnlx=1311263930-R9hMCLtTnqbgjwtJiVj9Xw

Add in your lateral drift rate, which can measure as much as 5 ft per 20 seconds running, and the elite of distance running physically travel about 32 miles in a race while amateurs such as yourself can travel 36-39 miles by the time you cross the finish line.

But having that level of biomechanic understanding isn't what most forum runners comprehend, and that's what separates me.

The animal aspect of this has already been documented by clinical research.

Its known as the backwards step for a track start.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18438221

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11165285

The difference is that pygmies and ostriches are able to utilize what the studies document for start improvement with every step.

The idea that ostriches are worth study, because they're true bipedal athletes and we aren't, isn't a unique idea to myself alone. There are a number of others in the academic community studying the relationship. I'm merely the first to accurately describe it. Compared with humans, utilizing the above improvement in tendon elasticity utilazation is why the same size bird to human utilizes 35% less muscle fiber recruitment to run at identical speed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21030429

As to walking at 8.5MPH, its easy to do considering that ostriches utilize what biologists call "grounded running" given they have no walk to run transition step as humans so inefficiently do.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15293864

And to tie this all in to treadmill training, one can learn to minimize our physical displacement through treadmill training as well as optimizing tendon elasticity functions to minimize energy expenditure per step.

And that's what I prove with ease. That if I can teach you how these animals/humans actually run, you can cut your heart rate levels by 20% for same speed comparisons. What you do with the save energy is up to you; running faster, or running further.

To take advantage of that ability is truly up to you. I tested and proved its efficiencies under the supervision of Nike's Sports Research lab.

If running like T-Rex sounds stupid to you, then explain why pygmies are more effiecient runners than you are?  I'm not going to argue, because that's what defines motivation to becoming a better runner. That's why its called fight or flight when encountering new information. Nowhere does the word "learn" exist in most people's vocabulary, let alone actions.

I teach people regularly how to do it. If your ego means more to you than becoming a better runner, then you don't have to listen to what I have to say.

If you're one of the rare few who actually likes to learn and wants to improve, then I describe the path to do so. Taking it is your decision.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Am I doing this right?

"Correctly"???????

An efficient runner shouldn't need to swing their arms at all.

For reference, I can walk at 8.5MPH with no arm swing at all.

How do you compare?

What's your fastest walking speed with or without arm swing?

Link

That's only 7mph...and you're arms are moving.

No excuses....

sport jester

Biomimeticist

That video was an impromtu event that I wasn't ready for and done over two years ago.

At least I hope you notice how little arm swing I need compared to yourself at the same speed (if you can do it).

My statement was with witness to the accomplshment done two weeks ago.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

L Train

Oh my goodness.

Love the video.  Girl in background says, "But your arms are moving".  With that, sport jester quickly has the video turned off.  Epic Fail.  Not to mention he looked pretty goofy trying to walk with no arm swing.

Why is it sideways?

Those videos are awesome.

Well sadly, I didn't make the video. I'm one who doesn't limit myself to a one dimensional measurement of any athlete.

Yes vertical lift is a valid measure. That's why I asked earlier how far a marathon runner runs and none of you answered. Anyone who says 26.2 miles has no biomechanic education at all....

As the video documents vertical lift, it doesn't calculate lateral displacement at all. that's why we swing our arms when we run, to limit lateral sway as we run. Vertical lift combined with lateral sway totals far more in actual distance added to a marathon race than just what the video link documents (which proves how inept most "analysts" truly are). I'm not that stupid.

Humans don't just push ourselves up and down. A competent running coach would tell you that the body travels in a figure eight pattern. That's why I measure runners in a 3-D perspective, rather than just from a side view only as "experts" do..

It also doesn't factor in fact that humans can't walk or run straight either.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/21/science/21circles.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&ref=nutrition&adxnnlx=1311263930-R9hMCLtTnqbgjwtJiVj9Xw

Add in your lateral drift rate, which can measure as much as 5 ft per 20 seconds running, and the elite of distance running physically travel about 32 miles in a race while amateurs such as yourself can travel 36-39 miles by the time you cross the finish line.

But having that level of biomechanic understanding isn't what most forum runners comprehend, and that's what separates me.

The animal aspect of this has already been documented by clinical research.

Its known as the backwards step for a track start.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18438221

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11165285

The difference is that pygmies and ostriches are able to utilize what the studies document for start improvement with every step.

The idea that ostriches are worth study, because they're true bipedal athletes and we aren't, isn't a unique idea to myself alone. There are a number of others in the academic community studying the relationship. I'm merely the first to accurately describe it. Compared with humans, utilizing the above improvement in tendon elasticity utilazation is why the same size bird to human utilizes 35% less muscle fiber recruitment to run at identical speed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21030429

As to walking at 8.5MPH, its easy to do considering that ostriches utilize what biologists call "grounded running" given they have no walk to run transition step as humans so inefficiently do.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15293864

And to tie this all in to treadmill training, one can learn to minimize our physical displacement through treadmill training as well as optimizing tendon elasticity functions to minimize energy expenditure per step.

And that's what I prove with ease. That if I can teach you how these animals/humans actually run, you can cut your heart rate levels by 20% for same speed comparisons. What you do with the save energy is up to you; running faster, or running further.

To take advantage of that ability is truly up to you. I tested and proved its efficiencies under the supervision of Nike's Sports Research lab.

If running like T-Rex sounds stupid to you, then explain why pygmies are more effiecient runners than you are?  I'm not going to argue, because that's what defines motivation to becoming a better runner. That's why its called fight or flight when encountering new information. Nowhere does the word "learn" exist in most people's vocabulary, let alone actions.

I teach people regularly how to do it. If your ego means more to you than becoming a better runner, then you don't have to listen to what I have to say.

If you're one of the rare few who actually likes to learn and wants to improve, then I describe the path to do so. Taking it is your decision.

I would like to think of myself as a student of the sport and, believe it or not (sorry, Spaniel), I have checked out some of the sites and videos that you had posted here (not all).  As I'm sure you know, the idea of "run like animals" is nothing new.  Percy Cerutty was one of the first "colorful" coaches who started preaching this back in the 1950s.  Even today, professor Takaoka talks about "run like a lizard" or "run like a dolphin (I know THIS is pretty bizzar but, if you read what he has to say, it does make sense)".  His spokesperson is a good friend of mine and she sends me a half a dozen books that he had written.  See, here's the thing; I "get" what Takaoka says about "run like a dolphin" yet, I don't quite buy what YOU say about "run like a T-Rex".  Just the above comment; "...if running like T-Rex sounds stupide to you, then explain why pygmies are more efficient..."  What's this jump?  Are you saying pygmies have a huge tail like T-Rex and run like T-Rex?  It really sounds to me you are just throwing a whole bunch of shit into a pot to justify your points and basically, as some have already pointed out here and elsewhere, throw up your arms and say; "Ah, you bunch of idiots don't understand my brilliance...:"  If in fact your "points" are valid and important, YOU are doing a terrible disservece to it yourself for being a terrible communicator/presentor.

I remember when I was working for Breathe Right Naxal Strip; they had done a clinical study to "prove" that, by wearing BRNS, while doing the same exercise at the same effort level, your heart rate stays about 2 or 3 beats per minute lower.  I was representing them for Japanese runners because of my connection but I was being VERY careful not to misguide them.  There's a study and there's a graph and all the statistcis to show; but NONE of them actually show that they can run faster which is what they want.  Everything you have presented here--not that I've read everything that you had posted here--seems to me is a whole bunch of "20% more efficient" or "when you are  marching 3 days consecutively with 140 pounds bag on your back..." but NONE of those actually shows that you run faster which, at least, is what I'm interested in.  If there IS an Olympic event like a 3-day marching with 140 pounds bag on your back and if I'm coaching someone competing in it, I might come to you.  But otherwise, it may be an intersting story but not much more than that to me.

I could sit here all day and watch the 3 mph walking video over and over and over again.  Brilliant stuff.

And I will definitely be adding the T-Rex lunge to my leg workouts.

Doc, my tooth hurts

I tried running like a T Rex and found that it put too much strain on my lower back.  Also my arms looked weird.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Humans have one running flaw, that we can't run faster during the curves of a track.

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/210/6/971.abstract

while ostriches are designed for curve running, its how they survive; by exhausting their predators.

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/210/8/i.1.full?etoc

If we're both bipedal, then why wouldn't anyone not want to learn how they do it.

While 70% of ACL tears are non contact directional changing or trying to stop, ostrich mimicry allows for an athlete/soldier to execute a 180 degree directional change with no measured torque loads to the knees.

Scout7

While 70% of ACL tears are non contact directional changing or trying to stop, ostrich mimicry allows for an athlete/soldier to execute a 180 degree directional change with no measured torque loads to the knees.

Hey, guess what?  I'm a Soldier.  Prove this to me.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Hey, guess what?  I'm a Soldier.  Prove this to me.

You can write me privately if you'd like, or you can start with understanding the balance skills necessary to do so.

I call it the masking tape exercise, and its described in this link: Yes, I'm the robert in the picture...

http://stewsmith.com/linkpages/evolutionofrunning.htm

Humans have one running flaw, that we can't run faster during the curves of a track.

while ostriches are designed for curve running, its how they survive; by exhausting their predators.

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/210/8/i.1.full?etoc

If we're both bipedal, then why wouldn't anyone not want to learn how they do it.

And here, again, you're just throwing a whole lot of shit into a pot.  So humans have running flaw.  So what do we do about it with our training?  Reconstruct our legs to look more like ostrich?  70% of human ACL problem is because of inefficiency of running technique?  What statistics do YOU have on ostriche's ACL tear rate?   

Yeah, now I see what Mikey is talking about.  All we are doing is to give jester an opportunity to post his website and repeat "Yes, Robert on this site is me". 

Its simple biology.

We call it a counterbalance arm swing don't we?

So if your running biomechanics in your legs were in perfect balance, then you wouldn't need to waste 15% of your energy consumption with something that applies no force in forward motion.

Screw that.  I didn't go to all the trouble of evolving arms just to keep them clamped at my sides.

(FWIW, they counter a rotational force about the anteroposterior axis, said force inherent in the off-axis propulsive forces applied by the legs.  But I'm neither an expert nor an "expert".)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau