hip pain... again? (Read 686 times)

This happened to me at the beginning of winter. I had pain in my hip and decided to get a new pair of sneakers and the pain went away. However, it has come back, but it seems like i just got new sneakers. Is there anything else I should try or just get new sneakers, even though they're only about 2 or 3 months old (my old sneakers got over 100 miles more than my current ones)? Confused
    VictorN

How many miles do you have on your running shoes? (You are running in running shoes, not department store sneaker, right?) :-) Could you be more specific about where you are feeling this hip pain? Victor
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

andyndallas

If your hip pain is right in your lower buttocks, right where your femur meets your hip socket, then I feel your pain. Believe it or not, it usually only bothers me really bad when it is going to rain. When I start noticing it more, I get a new set of inserts for my shoes. I use the Spinco soft arches inserts. You can try them out at your local running store. They are not very thick like some other inserts which can cause your heal to move too much because of the cushioning and rub a hole in the heal of your shoe. I have used them for years in Saucony grid hurricanes. They go in place of the stock insert. Any time your shoes need refreshing, get a new pair of inserts. Worth a try.
        ...and miles to go before I sleep
          Well, I would say that on my current running shoes, I have somewhere around 200. On my previous, it was around 350 until my hip started to hurt the first time. The pain is around where my hip meets my thigh, but on the outside of the hip, not the inside (facing my other leg).

Sweaty

I donĀ“r suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single moment. L.L
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Check out some info on trochanteric bursitis. You may well have that. Not much else causes pain in runners there.
                I think I might have bursitis. Thanks for all your help Smile
                  I've had a problem with my right hip intermittently since March last year and it wasn't until I saw an osteopath that I found out the problem was my hip was slightly out of alignment (joys of having four kids, two of which were twins). After regular massage, manipulations and core strenghtening exercise, it's improved out of sight. You may also find you could have a weakness in one side when you run, and the other side of your body compensates for that, and ends up throwing out the hip. Does is play up more when you're tired?
                    Not really, it was mostly at the beginning of my run and would go away after a mile or so and if I stopped, it would hurt when I started again. It's better now that I have taken 3 days rest, but it still comes back at the beginning and end of my run.
                      Oh. I was thinking that if it played up when you were tired (mine does this), it could be that your running technique might not be as good (I know I tend to 'slouch' a bit towards the end of a long run if I don't stay vigilant). I'd probably suggest seeing a good osteo or masseuse to see if maybe your hip's out of whack. I don't suppose your new runners are a different brand/style to your old ones?
                        They actually are different shoe brands. I currently have Asics and I used to have Mizuno, but it happened in my old shoes too.