Terminology question (Read 622 times)

I found the following in a training program for a 20K race... Week 6/Wednesday: 4x800 (6 miles) Moderate pace I get that 4x800 is about 6 miles, but why did they say it that way? Why didn't they just say 6 miles (like on some of the other days in the plan). What is different about each of the 800's?
    mikeymike

It means run an 800, then do a recovery jog, then repeat. So you might go to a track and run fast for 2 laps (800m) then jog easy for a half a lap (200m) or full lap (400) then run fast for 2 laps again, etc. You also want to do at least a 15 minute warmup and some kind of cooldown so when you add up the 6 x 800 plus warmup, plus cooldown, plus recovery jogs, you probably wind up with more like 9 or 10 miles worth of running.

Runners run

I get that 4x800 is about 6 miles, but why did they say it that way? Why didn't they just say 6 miles (like on some of the other days in the plan). What is different about each of the 800's?
        Actually, 4x800 is about 2 miles. The other 4 miles are for your warmup, recovery jogs between intervals, and cooldown. Edited to Add: The way I would run this workout is as follows: 1. Two miles of easy running (warmup) 2. 800m (0.5 miles) fast (5K pace) 3. 400m (0.25 miles) recovery (walking or slow jog) 4. Repeat Steps 2+3 another three times. 5. One mile of easy running (cooldown) 6 miles total

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

mikeymike

Yeah, duh, or I could just learn to count like Berner.

Runners run

Ok, besides the fact that I can't add either, I never would have figured that one out. Thanks for the help.