The Hunger Games (books & movies) (Read 907 times)

xor

I actually corrected my comment a few minutes after posting it  since I realized I was confusing something. I think SRL posted while I was doing my editing

No, I posted after your edited comment.  I read it as "this happens in the book and the movie". I guess you weren't intending that.  For the person who hasn't read the book, Knife Chick was kind of odd.  Here she comes, there she goes.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Clove does have at least a few lines when she has Katniss pinned to the ground.  I didn't really even notice her speaking the first time I watched the movie, but the 2nd time it struck me how creepy she was...almost reptilian (and she had apparently originally auditioned for the role of Katniss).  I still can't recall exactly what she said, though, because there's enough action going on that it sort of overwhelms the dialogue.  For some reason I'm remembering her saying something to the effect that she (Katniss) couldn't protect Rue and after Clove killed Katniss she was going after "her boyfriend," but I may be remembering that wrong.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

No, I posted after your edited comment.  I read it as "this happens in the book and the movie". I guess you weren't intending that.  For the person who hasn't read the book, Knife Chick was kind of odd.  Here she comes, there she goes.

having read all 3 of the books and with the way my mind works,  sometimes it's hard to keep things straight lol. ANYHOO I know I sure wouldn't have enjoyed the movie as much as I did had I not read the book

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

having read all 3 of the books and with the way my mind works,  sometimes it's hard to keep things straight lol. ANYHOO I know I sure wouldn't have enjoyed the movie as much as I did had I not read the book

Pam, I'm having the same issue...I can't remember if a detail was in the movie or just in the book...and I read the books in such a narrow timespan that I have a hard time remembering which events were in which book, particularly with the 2nd and 3rd books.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

woo loo loo

Heh.

That's from, like, the second episode ever of King of the Hill.

born on the bayou

That's from, like, the second episode ever of King of the Hill.

THAT'S MY PURSE!

Okay, so I may have to redact certain parts of my diatribe.  Folks smarter than me (and Rockenmama) informed me that - in the movie - they showed Katniss burying Rue in the sky/ceiling/screen-thing, and that's how the large guy from District 11 knew.  

I'm so confused.  I read the book after the movie, so that's my excuse.  

- Amanda
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Okay, so I may have to redact certain parts of my diatribe.  Folks smarter than me (and Rockenmama) informed me that - in the movie - they showed Katniss burying Rue in the sky/ceiling/screen-thing, and that's how the large guy from District 11 knew.  

I'm so confused.  I read the book after the movie, so that's my excuse.  

Wait...I thought only the spectators were seeing that footage, not the tributes.  Now I am confused, too.  Dammit, I need to take notes once it comes out on DVD, methinks...

~ Sarah Kay

Clove does have at least a few lines when she has Katniss pinned to the ground.  I didn't really even notice her speaking the first time I watched the movie, but the 2nd time it struck me how creepy she was...almost reptilian (and she had apparently originally auditioned for the role of Katniss).  I still can't recall exactly what she said, though, because there's enough action going on that it sort of overwhelms the dialogue.  For some reason I'm remembering her saying something to the effect that she (Katniss) couldn't protect Rue and after Clove killed Katniss she was going after "her boyfriend," but I may be remembering that wrong.

I could be completely remembering this wrong, but in the book, didn't Katniss tell Thresh about pairing up with Rue and the flowers? I thought that after killing Clove, he kind of turned to Katniss and asked her what Clove meant about Rue being her little friend and she told him they had teamed up and that she tried to save her. Then he decides to spare her the one time. Did that happen or am I just imagining it? I only read the book once and it was a while ago. 

bhearn

Saw the movie last night. Just about walked out after the first 10 minutes -- whoever decided on that camera shake should be shot. Cannot find a copy of the book in the Chicago airport. WTF??
                    xor

Saw the movie last night. Just about walked out after the first 10 minutes -- whoever decided on that camera shake should be shot. Cannot find a copy of the book in the Chicago airport. WTF??

You can get it for your kindle or nook easy peasy.

Oh wait.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I could be completely remembering this wrong, but in the book, didn't Katniss tell Thresh about pairing up with Rue and the flowers? I thought that after killing Clove, he kind of turned to Katniss and asked her what Clove meant about Rue being her little friend and she told him they had teamed up and that she tried to save her. Then he decides to spare her the one time. Did that happen or am I just imagining it? I only read the book once and it was a while ago. 

I tracked down our copy...yep, that's pretty much what happened in the book.  Thresh kills Clove and spares Katniss...because Katniss protected Rue.  Does she talk to him in the movie and explain things...?  I can't remember the details, there.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I tracked down our copy...yep, that's pretty much what happened in the book.  Thresh kills Clove and spares Katniss...because Katniss protected Rue.  Does she talk to him in the movie and explain things...?  I can't remember the details, there.

NO.

If that had happened I would not have posted.

I read the first two books quickly. My daughter's copy of the third is loaned out to a friend. I'm going to do one of two things: die of suspense, or go buy a copy. I can't take this.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

NO.

If that had happened I would not have posted.

Well, you didn't notice Clove's few lines, either...and neither did I, from my first viewing.  How they handled Thresh's knowledge of Rue's demise and his sparing of Katniss is a bit odd.  It's as if they assumed no one would notice that detail or the unread audience members would assume he had kept an eye on the sisterly relationship between Katniss and Rue, even though he seems totally ignorant of that situation in the book.

~ Sarah Kay

born on the bayou

Wait...I thought only the spectators were seeing that footage, not the tributes.  Now I am confused, too.  Dammit, I need to take notes once it comes out on DVD, methinks...

That's what I  thought, too! That is, the spectators saw the footage, but Thresh overheard Clove v. Katniss banter, and that's how he knew.  But my man insists that the movie showed the burial scene on the ceiling-grid thing?  I think he's wrong.  He also hasn't read the books, so he is really wrong.

- Amanda