Ouch :( Shin Splints (Read 923 times)

Finished!

Drat. Shin Splints took me out of my run this morning within the first 1/2 mile. I wound up carrying on for a little bit (at a slower speed and also trying to warm up with more walking) to see if they would go away as my muscles warmed up further (they didn't). Wound up eventually turning around and hobbling home - snipping my 5mi run down to a 2.6 mi run/walk/hobble. *sigh* Less than a month to my first HM. I sure as heck hope I manage to fix this.
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Shin splints are miserable. The are about the only thing that stops me. I can run though tight calves and symptoms of chronic compartment syndrome (which seem to ease up as I run carefully), but I don't mess with shin splints. Are you getting the lower half of your legs stretched sufficiently? It can be hard to get that shin area stretched, but I think inflexible calves can often lead to shin splints, so maybe you're not getting those rear, lower leg muscles loosened-up enough...? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

Ouch! I hope you heal quickly and that this doesn't affect your HM training! Kirsten has some great tips, I've read that it helps to stretch more before a run. Claire xxx
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Me and my gang in Breck

Drat. Shin Splints took me out of my run this morning within the first 1/2 mile. I wound up carrying on for a little bit (at a slower speed and also trying to warm up with more walking) to see if they would go away as my muscles warmed up further (they didn't). Wound up eventually turning around and hobbling home - snipping my 5mi run down to a 2.6 mi run/walk/hobble. *sigh* Less than a month to my first HM. I sure as heck hope I manage to fix this.
          I use to have problems with shin splints when I first started running. The first thing that I did was go to a good running store and get fitted with the right kind of sneakers for my over pronation. If a try and keep a pair of sneakers in service to long my shins let me know it first. I don't do much speed work anymore but when I do, I do it on a track at the high school. If I try and do speed work on pavement my shin will kill me later. Another thing for me is that my shin muscles are much stronger now and I really never have anymore pain. I think that the longer you run it should get easier, but you need to let them heal totally before you run again. I can feel your pain but it won't always be this bad.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Finished!

Are you getting the lower half of your legs stretched sufficiently? It can be hard to get that shin area stretched, but I think inflexible calves can often lead to shin splints, so maybe you're not getting those rear, lower leg muscles loosened-up enough...?
            The first time I got shin splints I went and did all kinds of googling for recommended stretches etc, so I made sure to incorporate those into the routine - haven't had issues in quite some time, and even had no problems on my longest run to date (8 mi) i'm suspecting the cold temps and the lack of activity over the last 4 days is what brought this bout of shin splints on - there's actually snow on the cactus in southern Arizona - and I almost didn't recognize the terrain on my return flight over the weekend - snow covered as the mountains were!
            Walk + Jog = wog.
              How many miles on your shoes? Have you heard of "The Stick" - I use it and find that it does a great job on the calf muscles.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Thumpers! Our HM Training Coach has me doing thumpers and it seems to work for me. Just tapping my foot while I work at my desk. Only I make the effort to really make the "tap" involve the FULL range of motion while keeping my heal on the floor. Then before and after a run I MAKE SURE my calfs are streched good. Hope that helps GO COLTS!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

JakeKnight

GO COLTS! BEARS!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

:nods: NFC!
                      I used to respect you! Now I must question all your advice!! Even your recomendation for New Balance!! I going to pick up a pair if 767 tonight anyway but for now I'll wonder about it

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Finished!

it's not the shoes, I'm fairly sure - they are still less than 200miles on the pair I do have "the Stick" and have been using it - I'm waiting on a triggerpoint therapy book too to see if that has pointers. Bear Poop: Thumpers Smile what a great idea!
                        Walk + Jog = wog.
                        JakeKnight

Be careful running on shin splints. If you haven't followed his new career as a marathoner, you might want to check out what happened to Lance Armstrong: http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2007/01/a-classic-case-of-too-much-too-soon/
                          Ten days after the marathon he learns from tests that a “shin splint” problem that nagged him during his training and in the marathon is really a stress fracture. He must now avoid impact-related training for 6-12 weeks as it heals.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Finished!

yikes. I've got a 5 miler scheduled tomorrow. I'll see how things go - I'll definitely be careful - if it hurts, I'll set to walking. I'm going to be disappointed if I have to mostly walk my HM Sad but better to walk it than getting tabled for 6 weeks for a stress fracture.
                            Walk + Jog = wog.