Cross-Training to Glory (Read 128 times)

As you can see, I PR’d in the 10k by about 45 seconds immediately following a two week stint of mostly pool running and only one actual workout. Certainly, this isn’t how I would have chosen to approach this race and perhaps I could have run faster had my build-up been perfect, but it does illustrate the power of accumulated training and cross training.

- You can race well off cross training – even if you’re injured

How about you people? Interested in war stories from people who have run PRs off weeks of cross training. I am talking right out of the pool, or off the bike, elliptical and into the race.

What was your cross-training like? What kind of PR?

Just curious (mostly).

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Just curious (mostly).

Curious because you need something to distract you from the Rangers' 3rd period performance yesterday, or curious because you're still planning to head to Vermont this weekend?

Runners run

Curious because you need something to distract you from the Rangers' 3rd period performance yesterday, or curious because you're still planning to head to Vermont this weekend?

Curious as to whether the result was a total surprise or whether you were checking the score when you shouldn't have been.

Oh, YES and YES.

"Shouldn't have been" implies a level of moral authority that I don't attribute to this particular organization. But I was not surprised.

Runners run

"Shouldn't have been" implies a level of moral authority that I don't attribute to this particular organization. But I was not surprised.

Oh, I was also "just curious" as to how much notice I had to give the Vermont motel before canceling.  Friday at 3 p.m.

xhristopher

Here's my experience. At the end of May 2011 I got injured and got busy with the arc trainer, swimming, and lots of biking. For kicks I ran mikey's 5K in July and faded badly. Yeah, it was about a thousand degrees out but I know I sucked.

But then there is Bash, who swam all winter, and became a murderer this spring.

Here's my experience. At the end of May 2011 I got injured and got busy with the arc trainer, swimming, and lots of biking. For kicks I ran mikey's 5K in July and faded badly. Yeah, it was about a thousand degrees out but I know I sucked.

But then there is Bash, who swam all winter, and became a murderer this spring.

This is very upsetting:

1. More fit than I

2. Faded at the 5k

3. General reference to Bash with no details on how much he ran before racing.

NEXT!

I've been injured most of the past 2 months, and just started back last week. While injured I did a little swimming, a little biking, some core work, some leg strengthening, and a lot of  deep water running. I could tell I had lost lots of fitness and it was confirmed by my 8k results on Saturday.  I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

xhristopher

This is very upsetting:

1. More fit than I

2. Faded at the 5k

3. General reference to Bash with no details on how much he ran before racing.

NEXT!

OK, sorry. I'm a bad reference point. A 5K is probably also a bad reference distance.

If it helps, I was trying to push my son in that 5K and it was a million degrees out. In the end I took 5 months off and my 5K time slipped 2:30 and was much slower to come back. It was "easier" to run long "quicker" than to run short "faster" for a a while. This makes sense.

Base and endurance go away faster than speed. Lot's written about that. Plus, you aren't looking to run a 5K next week are you?

OK, sorry. I'm a bad reference point. A 5K is probably also a bad reference distance.

If it helps, I was trying to push my son in that 5K and it was a million degrees out. In the end I took 5 months off and my 5K time slipped 2:30 and was much slower to come back. It was "easier" to run long "quicker" than to run short "faster" for a a while. This makes sense.

Base and endurance go away faster than speed. Lot's written about that. Plus, you aren't looking to run a 5K next week are you?

That's a good reference.

Wait, you hadn't run in 5 months prior to the 5k? Or after?

No, not looking to race a 5k next week.

Wait, you mean speed goes away faster, right?

I've been injured most of the past 2 months, and just started back last week. While injured I did a little swimming, a little biking, some core work, some leg strengthening, and a lot of  deep water running. I could tell I had lost lots of fitness and it was confirmed by my 8k results on Saturday.  I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

Not likely from scratch, Tom.  Give it a few weeks. Like X said, you've lost a little quickness in the legs is all.

Not likely from scratch, Tom.  Give it a few weeks. Like X said, you've lost a little quickness in the legs is all.

I thought X said "base and endurance" is the first to go, speed is lost later. I'd agree with that. I never had a lot of speed to start with, but based on the 8K, in which I started at what felt like a tempo effort, by mile 3 felt much harder than tempo. To me, that's lack of base and endurance.  It is what it is. Certainly, XT is betting than nothing,  but it's not running. With my knee injury, I was pretty limited in what I could do. Even too much deep water running was causing strain.

xhristopher

Wait, you hadn't run in 5 months prior to the 5k? Or after?

The 5K was run about half way into the 5 months. I think what I was trying to say was that I notice speed go away faster than endurance. For me, I need both to run a good 5K.

Hey, so long as you aren't at risk of further injuring yourself, the marathon could be an experment. That's how I treated the one I ran in Maine recently. in the 4 weeks between that and Boston I took a week off, traveled, hurt my back, then took more time off healing. During the month between I ran 68 miles, I think. Didn't seem to matter. That's a good data point for you.

The 5K was run about half way into the 5 months. I think what I was trying to say was that I notice speed go away faster than endurance. For me, I need both to run a good 5K.

Hey, so long as you aren't at risk of further injuring yourself, the marathon could be an experment. That's how I treated the one I ran in Maine recently. in the 4 weeks between that and Boston I took a week off, traveled, hurt my back, then took more time off healing. During the month between I ran 68 miles, I think. Didn't seem to matter. That's a good data point for you.

Woot!

Walk-Jogger

You should have asked a question about over-training, because I have a chart for that. I don't have a chart for your question.

("borrowed" from RW)

Retired &  Loving It