So...what Marathon Race Memorabilia have you purchased, or Prefer, or Wish for? (Read 965 times)

RUN HARD

If you have...or if you do accomplish your Marathon goal....what kind of merchandise have or will you purchase? To me it doesn't seem like there is anything really out there that personalizes a lifetime accomplishment. Maybe I am wrong...??? I have seen outrageous race photo prices...that usually have a terrible picture. So what have you purchased...or what would your purchase? How much would you spend for a nice Memorabilla item on a Marathon PR? $20 $25 $30 $50 $100 $250 ???? After training for all those hours I would spend somenice $$$ but I don't see anything....am I missing something? Thanks
    JakeKnight

Personally, I'd prefer to spend time and sweat and blood rather than money, and the only memorabilia I really want is what comes with the entry fee. I will admit that when I ran Chicago in 1997, I spent like $200 on overpriced sweatshirts and other crap ... because I was sure I'd never, ever be stupid enough to run one again. Now I don't have any of it. Not even the medal. Too bad. What would I REALLY want (in order): 4) That Goofy medal. Call me Goofy. 3) Another CMM medal attached to a sub-4:00 time. The immediate goal. 2) A finisher's medal from Boston 1) That silver belt buckle from the WS 100. It's mine, someday. I might pay for a good race photo, although they're ridiculously overpriced, and my "crew" got pictures twice as good with her digital camera. I'd pay for the finish line shot at Boston, though. You're right about those pictures. "Terrible" and "outrageous" sums it up. (FYI: among the hundred reasons to love the Rocket City Marathon is that they send you a nice finishing picture FREE). Current favorite piece of memorabilia? That "medal" from the Flying Monkey Marathon. Made of thin wood, looks hand carved ... but it represents a hard run, a PR, some cool people, and not even 100 people on the planet have one. I wouldn't sell it for $1,000.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm with Jake. My favorite piece of memorabilia is the black, long-sleeved technical shirt I got when I did the Grand Rapids Half (that was the standard shirt that everyone got as part of their race fee). Right now it is my biggest accomplishment and I'm pretty proud of the fact that I completed that event only about 7 months after starting running--and when I started my only goal was really to be able to run 5k. But that damned running bug bit me hard on the ass, so here I am...thinking about my first marathon in '08 (I'd do it this year, but with my son's school schedule I don't have the time to devote to training). I wear that black shirt a LOT...partly because it is super comfy, but also because I love the bragging I frequently get to do when people ask me about it. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Medals... I love my medals Big grin. I did get some great socks and a hat from the VA Beach R&R half FOR FREE (I guess they had too many -- the nice folks who organized the race mailed the hat and socks a couple months after the race). What I really want 1. a medal from Boston.
          2009: BQ?
          mbk

I will admit that after my first "long" event, the Rock N' Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach, I bought a plaque with a picture, finishing time, and the amount I raised for team in training. Since then I've only bought a couple of pictures (there were some great pictures at Ultracentric because we went around a track for 24 hours so there were plenty of opportunities to get a good shot!). My favorite memorabilia is a hand made finishers award from my first Ultra, the Heartland 50. It's made from flint (the race is in the flint hills) and has a stone base, two stone posts and some barbed wire to form a small barbed wire fence (the most frequent visual feature on the course). It's unique and it's very special to me. You can see my second most favorite race memento in my picture on the left. It's a wooden obelisk with the number 70 carved in it, and it is the finisher's award for the Laurel Highlands 70 mile ultra. The entire trail is marked at every mile with a stone mile marker obelisk, so the finisher's award is a miniature replica. After the race they sent me a small brass plaque with my finisher's time that could be attached to the base.
            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

4) That Goofy medal. Call me Goofy. 3) Another CMM medal attached to a sub-4:00 time. The immediate goal. 2) A finisher's medal from Boston 1) That silver belt buckle from the WS 100. It's mine, someday.
              - Goof medal... check - CMM medal... don't know what they look like - Boston medal... check - WS 100 buckle... I ain't that goofy I'm not much of a medal person. They are nice and I won't be giving mine away but I prefer the bibs myself because they were uniquely mine. Anyone can have a medal, but my bib was with me from start to finish; when I was fast or battling cramps. My favorite is definitely the 2006 Boston Marathon bib.
                for my first marathon last year, my husband surprised me with the picture/time/bib/medal shadow box thing. I really like it! Of course, it hangs over the desk next to both of his black belt minjus, his college degree, and his eagle scout certificate. I'm just glad I made the wall. Tongue I also order a 5X7 picture of each half marathon I run. I save my bibs. I love wearing my longsleeve t's. Short sleeve ones, I rarely wear.

Jennifer mm#1231

Scout7

Not sure if it counts, but I pre-registered for Baltimore this year so I could get a free l/s shirt that had last year's course on it (since that was my first mary, I thought that was kinda special). I bought a pint glass too, for like $8, but I do that at brew pubs, so it's not that big a stretch. Beyond that, I have never gone beyond what's included in the race packet. I wouldn't mind technical-type shirts more often....
                    The only thing I have ever purchased from a specific race is my Boston Marathon running jacket. Other than that, all I have from other events is what comes with the entry fee. For a PR, I write the date and finishing time on the race bib, frame it, and hang it in my den.
                    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

You'll ruin your knees!

Oh, I've bought a few shirts over the years and IF I ever get to Boston, I'd definitely shell out the $ for the jacket. One thing I''m proud to say I ALREADY have is this... OK, it ain't the silver at WS100, but it'll do for now... YesLynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

vicentefrijole

... my bib was with me from start to finish...
                        yes, I definitely love my bib numbers the best.... I'm saving them all and some day I hope to wallpaper a room with them (or maybe a closet... so my wife doesn't complain). Big grin
                        vicentefrijole

One thing I''m proud to say I ALREADY have is this...
                          Holy Crap! You must look like Walker TR wearing that thing around... Wink http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Current favorite piece of memorabilia? That "medal" from the Flying Monkey Marathon. Made of thin wood, looks hand carved ... but it represents a hard run, a PR, some cool people, and not even 100 people on the planet have one. I wouldn't sell it for $1,000.
                            Big grin Jake knows how to make a man happy. 96 runners have one of these. Only 96. In 2007, there will be more made, but they will NOT have the word "inaugural" on them...
                              I saved my ID bracelet from the Med Tent at the 2004 Boston Marathon. I have most of my bib #'s in a drawer. And I have a whole bunch of medals hanging from the frame of the mirror on my wife's dresser. My favorite medal is probably from the 1999 Big Sur Marathon--it's ceramic and has a rawhide string like the Monkey one above. It was also one of the hardest things I've ever done, and my first marathon. I also like the Boston medals because they were hard earned. I've never bought any race memorabilia.

Runners run

vicentefrijole

96 runners have one of these.
                                Hey, I like those! Very 'planet of the apes'! Wink Big grin