Pre-marathon jitters (Read 649 times)

TexasRose

Hi all. I'm running my second marathon in Houston on Sunday. I did my first one 2 years ago, about 8 months after I started running. I did a 5:1 run/walk plan and my only goal was to finish, which I did in 5:41. Now I've been running consistently for more than 2 1/2 years, have lost some weight and become a smidgen (and I do mean smidgen) faster. My goal this year is 4:40. While I know many of you could do a 4:40 marathon in your sleep, this is a big step for me. It's an hour off my first marathon! It also means running consistently and with effort for the entire race. I'm a little scared! Yes, I've been training for 6 months and have many many weeks of 55+ miles under my belt, but I still feel like a total newbie who shouldn't even be out there. Embarrassed Add to that the carb loading and taper crankiness and I'm about ready to give up. (and yes, I know what HTFU means now! lol) Anybody got some words of encouragement, cool quotes or success stories to cheer me up while I ponder the sanity of my goals? Big grin
      TexasRose, be assured, relax - you simply cannot "lose." As for pre-race jitters, we know how you feel - not one of us but hasn't experienced the unsettled tummy and rapid heartbeat of the last few days before the race. It might help you to know (for sure) that once the gun goes off, the jitters will quickly go away. You'll be so focused on what you're doing that you won't have time or energy to be nervous. In fact, that's an effective cure for nerves - intense mental focus. Another is a strong and open heart - if you're thinking of others, encouraging them, blessing 'em, you'll find you feel really relaxed and happy AND you'll have a better race. Anyway, best of success - and do let us know how it went. We're rooting for you.
      TexasRose

Another is a strong and open heart - if you're thinking of others, encouraging them, blessing 'em, you'll find you feel really relaxed and happy AND you'll have a better race.
        What a great idea. I have lots of friends in my training group that are running this race as well. I could also be blessing all those first-timers out there. Big grin Thx!
          rose, you'll be fine. i'm racing (in phoenix) on sunday, i think it's my 16th marathon. been training hard since june too. but in these last weeks we all feel the same general things. i've gone from the workout remorse phase (reviewed my training and got depressed, though it's fine), to the macho-phase, to the calm and relaxed phase, back a little to the macho-phase, and now entering the fearful phase. lots of things can go wrong in a marathon, but control the things you can control. hopefully you're already waking up at the right time, and maybe jogging or walking a little at race time of the day. you've got a plan about what to eat the day before the race and when. you've got a water/gel plan for the race. and you've got a pace plan. focus on those things and execute your plans. on race day, i'm hoping to progress to the final phase: the happy kid running with his friends phase. at the starts of my best races i'm relaxed, chatting with friends. i actually make some jokes sometimes in the first couple of miles of races... not many people laugh, but some do. race days are magic: we work harder than ever before, we achieve things we didn't think possible. we "strive together" (i.e. the root of the word compete). stay calm, try to relax, smile, and let it happen.
          TexasRose

Thanks for the positive thoughts. I lurk a lot more than I post, but just felt the need for some support this week. You're right, I've got all those plans in place. Everything I can control is ready, including my hydration and gel plan. I'm usually pretty quiet and serious on race morning, so maybe I'll try to loosen up a bit this time. Afterall, we do this because we like it, right? Big grin
              Best on your race down there in Houston!

Vim

Looking forward to your race report Rose, best of luck to you!

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

You are ready. The main thing to "worry" about now is not going out too fast on race day. Avoid that very common mistake, especially with first timers, and you will do justt fine. For more comments, see "Pre-Race Comments for Marathoners" at http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id65.html.
                  TexasRose

Wanted to follow up with how the race went. I didn't quit get my 4:40 goal, but my coach had given me a 4:45 goal and that's exactly what I did. Big grin I was steady on until about mile 15 when my quads just started giving out. I kept working as hard, but my miles were gradually slowing down. I managed to make the 4:45 by finding an inner surge in the last mile. Don't know where that came from, but it sure felt good. Thanks for the advice and tips for the jitters. They helped!
                      Isn't that finish line the BEST thing you've EVER seen? Big grin Congrats TR, nicely done!

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Congratulations, TR. Well done!