Ear warmers (Read 1004 times)

This feels like a ridiculous question given the weather these days, but I am going to ask anyway. My ears get cold. Really cold, even on days when it is too warm for a hat. I am planning to buy a headband or earmuffs and wanted peoples opinions. When I was a kid I had earmuffs that were really not comfortable, but I have seen lots of people wearing them these days (well, last month at least!) and was wondering if they are comfortable and if they tend to last or if I should just go for a headband. Link to an example of what I am thinking about: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=40130&sc1=Search&feat=sr Thanks!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a couple of Columbia fleece headband thingies...cheap, but keep my ears warm without making my head too hot. I also have a lightweight stretchy hat thingie...just enough to keep the wind from bothering my ears, but it wicks sweat well. These intrigue me, too: Lobz Similar to what you are looking at, but with the integrated headphones. Not sure if they would be worth the $$, though, I would think a fleece headband would work well over most earphones. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I run in a Mizuno knit-like head band. It's their Breath Thermal technology so that when it gets wet, it gets warm. It worked really well for me last winter. Teresa
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Whoa, how does that work? That sounds useful around here. k

~ Sarah Kay

Chris UK

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So what material in that stuff is the magic one? Or are they just creatively marketing that stuff? Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

I also have the Mizuno pants and pullover in the Breath Thermal fabric. They are really light weight but way too hot for me if the temp is over 50 degrees or so. I don't really notice it getting warmer, but it must. I just wish it was windproof. Wink Last year at one of our Road Runner meetings they gave out little sample packets of the breath thermal stuff and had you pour water on it while holding it in your hand and it actually did feel warmer. Smile Teresa
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, that sounds wild. I am going to have to look for something made out of that stuff. I think a top and a hat would be heavenly once it gets really cold! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I use a behind the head ear warmer called "ear cuffs" You don't eaveven know you are wearing them exept that your ears are toasty. You don't look as geeky as wearing ear muffs. Couldn't find the "ear cuff" site but they are similar to these http://brandingideas.blogspot.com/
                    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I use a behind the head ear warmer called "ear cuffs" You don't eaveven know you are wearing them exept that your ears are toasty. You don't look as geeky as wearing ear muffs. Couldn't find the "ear cuff" site but they are similar to these http://brandingideas.blogspot.com/
                      Are they easy to wash? Though I'm not sure if those would work for me or not. I tend to sweat a lot from my forehead and find that I have to have something that goes across that area to wick or absorb the sweat. But for someone who's not a sweaty hog, I think those things look cool. k

~ Sarah Kay

Are they easy to wash? Though I'm not sure if those would work for me or not. I tend to sweat a lot from my forehead and find that I have to have something that goes across that area to wick or absorb the sweat. But for someone who's not a sweaty hog, I think those things look cool. k
                        I've thrown them in the wash with no problem. I don't sweat from my ears or forehead but they do fit flat to your head and I'm sure you could wear a sweat band over top. By the way they are called "ear grips" not ear cuffs and I found the site. http://www.amazon.com/GORGONZ-EARGRIPS-Ear-Grips-Warmers/dp/B00007JTZ7
                        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                        xhristopher

This feels like a ridiculous question given the weather these days, but I am going to ask anyway. My ears get cold. Really cold, even on days when it is too warm for a hat. I am planning to buy a headband or earmuffs and wanted peoples opinions. When I was a kid I had earmuffs that were really not comfortable, but I have seen lots of people wearing them these days (well, last month at least!) and was wondering if they are comfortable and if they tend to last or if I should just go for a headband. Link to an example of what I am thinking about: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=40130&sc1=Search&feat=sr Thanks!

Biology is simple; that the top of ear muscle is only fatigued from cold. 

In contrast, the bottom of ear plays no role in mechanics for cold weather and therefore only feels warm.

The energy cost on top of ear therefore increased the bottom of ear warmness per mile in a runner.

By what definition of wooly logic is a ear heating more efficient to utilize??????

Oh wait, this is what happens when people who have never worn ear stockings and think they're knowledgeable enough to advise other people who knit such stockings. Its similar to people who aren't ear stocking knitters and have never met me in person thinking they can "diagnose" me from the self absorbed knots they tie.

Better yet, that if you think you have the knitting capacity to deem me of inferior knitting capacity, then one first has to prove themselves being of superior knitting AND crocheting capacity too!

Therefore if you think I'm crazy, then please knit a long scarf and tell me how it applies to you...

Behold!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

X, I bow to you.