Running with a cold? (Read 529 times)

Don't call me Buttercup!

Hi! New here, love it so far.  

My apologies, because I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I'm sleepy and can't remember the "rule."   Can you/should you run with a cold?  Only if it's in your head and not your chest?  Can someone please remind this newb what's considered safe?  (i.e. I don't want to end up with pneumonia or something, particularly since I just came back to running after a short hiatus and I would be really freaking pissed if I had to go back on the IR)

Thanks!  

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Hi Di I am not a doctor - I believe there's at least one lurking round here

General rule, at least the one that I have been told many times, I am sure there are exceptions:

Above the neck - run

Below the neck - rest

Not sure what to do if it's just your neck that hurts.... guess that's a judgement call! Wink

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

JML

+1 on MattJ.  If I have a head cold, a run seems to feel OK and I actually feel better after the run.  When I try to run with chest congestion, it has never been a good experience.  Better to get some rest and live to fight another day.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Don't call me Buttercup!

Thanks, guys!   I appreciate the quick response.  

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Splish

What a coincidence, I have a cold today! What the hell you doin' to me, God?

I am actually taking the day off due to cold. I could run, but last day off was eight days back and it's cold and damp out there. Movies, Skyrim, spaghetti in marinara with sausage, maybe a couple of Surly beverages, maybe even slowcook a pork shoulder.. I can probably salvage this Saturday, and tomorrow's another day Smile

Buelligan

I've run with an above the neck cold before and it turned into a below the neck cold.  It may have been on its way anyway, but if I get a cold now, I just take a few days off and let it run its course.   Being fit seems to keep the downtime to a minimum anyway.  Once the worst of the symptoms start to clear up, I'll go ahead and start running again even if I'm slightly clogged.

Maggie & Molly

I'm with MattJ too.  I run if it is a head cold and stay home if it is in my chest and I can't breath without hacking up a lung.Joking

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

StepbyStep-SH

Head cold - run if no fever.

Chest cold - rest.

I've skipped the last two days, even though my cold has been mostly in my head (with drainage into my throat - ick), because I feel like I've been running a fever.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

tinman11

I just take rest days until I start getting better.  Seems like rest really helps me recover.

SheCan

I always run through a head cold.  In fact the days I run, I feel much better.  It's like it clears everything out.  I barely notice a cold anymore since I've started running.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

I always run through a head cold.  In fact the days I run, I feel much better.  It's like it clears everything out.  I barely notice a cold anymore since I've started running.

+1 to this.