Anyone tried Australian Dream Cream? (Read 4217 times)

I'm curious if anyone tried Australian Dream Cream for muscle soreness?  It seems different than the typical muscle ointment:

The secret of Australian Dream® is in the exclusive formula that does not simply mask or cover up pain as many other creams on the market.

Histamine dihydrochloride, the active ingredient in our cream, works through "vasodilation." This is the process of expanding blood vessels to increase circulation, providing arthritis pain relief within the affected tissue.

Seems to me that increasing circulation would be a good thing? I haven't read about any side affects. 

http://www.australiandream.com/
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Histamine is the mediator for allergies and allergic reactions.

Histamines make people sick.

The antihistamine business is big pharma: benedryl, zyrtec, allegra, pepcid, etc.

Does not sound to me like a good idea.

PLUS, increased blood flow can lead to increased inflammation.  We take ice baths to reduce blood flow.

xor

"Mediator".

Que es eso?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In biochemistry, a mediator is basically a molecule that triggers subsequent reactions.  Mast cells are a type of inflammatory cell.  When triggered by allergens (pollen, peanut butter, bee stings, etc) the mast cells release histamine into the blood stream.  Histamine then triggers a more widespread inflammatory reaction. Histamine is what causes the redness, swelling, itching that occurs within seconds as the result of an allergic reaction.  Histamine is also a mediator in the stomach of acid production.
          xor

So when I got attacked by a bee swarm (or hornet, I dunno, they got me from behind) yesterday (which made me DNF a race, but that's not the point), a little while later, my nose started running uncontrollably.  I was not sniffly before and have not been sick.

Potentially related?  (the sinus drainage and the bee sting reaction... not dream cream)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yessir.  I 'spect so.

Don't treat it with dream cream.

Dream cream has other uses, yes, far beyond that...

Histamine is the mediator for allergies and allergic reactions.

Histamines make people sick.

The antihistamine business is big pharma: benedryl, zyrtec, allegra, pepcid, etc.

Does not sound to me like a good idea.

PLUS, increased blood flow can lead to increased inflammation.  We take ice baths to reduce blood flow.

Inflammation is confusing to me. It seems its always has a negative connotation. However, I've read (in a "runner's health book") that inflammation is essential for muscles to heal. It's what brings in fresh blood to an area and promotes healing. It was stated as why it's so bad for a person to take NSAIDs right after exercising, or even within a day or two of an intense workout.  It was stated that it will actually delay or prevent proper healing of muscles, and your body could be come dependent on them to be w/out pain.

if you think about what a deep tissue massage does -- force out old blood so new/fresh blood can come into an area to promote healig - isn't this a similar concept? 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Inflammation is good and bad.  It IS the body trying to heal, but it often goes overboard AND the symptoms of inflammation (which include swelling, redness, pain) are uncomfortable.  Histamine and increased blood flow promote excess inflammation.  NSAIDs like ibuprofen slow inflammation, but should be avoided because of their side effects that have little to do with inflammation (such as causing ulcers and kidney failure).

Deep tissue massage is about breaking up muscle knots, not somehow finessing away inflammation.  If anything, massage causes excess inflammation, which is why you are sore the next day and why you are always advised to drink extra water.

I no of no evidence that your body forgets how to treat itself because you are taking NSAIDs.  There is loads of evidence going back the entire history of biochemistry that histamine causes problems.

AND this thing that is being sold appears to be unregulated by the FDA, which means that by taking it YOU become a guinea pig and that you have no idea what is really in it.

thanks for the information!

What do you think of some of the less common muscle creams/gels such as Arnica Gel? Or capsaicin? When I read the material on these products, they don't really try to explain how or why they work. 

Products like BenGay and IcyHot do nothing for me, other than make me stink (worse than normal). 

I've used BioFreeze and I like it, but the relief only lasts about an hour or two. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Most of the gels give a warming sensation that masks the underlying discomfort and/or contain a salycilate, which is an aspirin analogue.  The Biofreeze and BenGay both do the latter.  The capsacian does the former.  I am not familiar with Arnica.  In low doses, these are fine.  Another approach is, so long as it is not debilitating, just to let the discomfort wash over you like a trophy Smile
                        Most of the gels give a warming sensation that masks the underlying discomfort and/or contain a salycilate, which is an aspirin analogue.  The Biofreeze and BenGay both do the latter.  The capsacian does the former.  I am not familiar with Arnica.  In low doses, these are fine.  Another approach is, so long as it is not debilitating, just to let the discomfort wash over you like a trophy Smile

hmmm, I think I can start saving some money. One of the main reasons I use biofreeze is becuase it acts as a lubricant while I'm massaing my calves. It would be much cheaper to just use a hand lotion. 

I've been wearig compression calve sleeves after my hard/long runs lately and it really seems to make a difference. 

Stevan Mcgrath

spam