Pre-race insomniacs, post here! (Read 737 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone else find that they have sleep issues in the days prior to a race? I always seem to suffer from this--even when I'm not really stressed about the race at hand...what I get is stress that I won't be rested enough for the race (sleep or lack thereof is the factor that most affects my running quality). Of course, this turns into a vicious cycle--I stress about the sleep, which keeps me awake, which leads to more stress...repeat. Last night it kicked-in and my 10 miler isn't until Sat. AM. I stress about having to be up so early for the race (want to get there an hour beforehand to make sure I find the race site--kind of off the beaten path, pick up my race packet, stretch, make certain I'm "emptied-out," etc.). I figure I will need to be awake no later than 5am that day, as it's an hour+ drive away. I have a feeling that the nights before my big 25k are going to be particularly bad...then I will have the stress of finding parking at such a huge event. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I do I do, though that's not why I got up so early this morning. Niagra Falls here I come! Oh and good luck on Saturday Kirsten!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks! And have fun at the falls! I have never been there, but would love to take a trip out to see that. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks! Nice avi Tongue

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Niagra Falls here I come!
            When will you be at the Falls?
              around dinner time Smile

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I used to have pre-race anxieties but that went away after running a whole bunch of races. Nowadays, it is reserved only for selected marathons. Seriously though, if you are anxious about it, you might relieve it by preparing for the race early, like several days before the race, pick out your race clothes, write down how to get there, and a time table for when to leave the house. This way, come the night before the race, you will have several things less to worry about, which may help reduce the stress.
                  Zoomy --- for what it's worth, I've read that just resting -- laying down, even if you aren't sleeping -- is almost as good as sleeping itself. What about doing a warm bath, cup of non caffinated tea, lay out all of your clothes, set a couple alarm clocks, etc .. ?
                  2009: BQ?
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

pick up my race packet
                    Some races will let you pick up the packet the night before, often at a running store or something. One less thing to worry about the day of the race. I sleep terrible the night before races, and in HS basically felt like throwing up all day the day of a track or cross-country meet, so I am of little help in the ways of pre-race anxiety other than to say: BRING A ROLL OF TOILET PAPER!!! Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I used to have pre-race anxieties but that went away after running a whole bunch of races. Nowadays, it is reserved only for selected marathons. Seriously though, if you are anxious about it, you might relieve it by preparing for the race early, like several days before the race, pick out your race clothes, write down how to get there, and a time table for when to leave the house. This way, come the night before the race, you will have several things less to worry about, which may help reduce the stress.
                      I'm hoping that eventually it will become "no biggie." I do get everything ready and set out at least 24 hours in advance, but I am still a "worst case scenario" kind of gal, so it kills me. Last night I even gave in and took an Ambien, but that still took well over an hour to beat me over the head to sleep. Tongue Jeff, I'd go pick up my race packet tomorrow, but with the price of gas right now it's hard to justify the trip. Though it would be a good excuse to get a few extra pair of Smartwool socks, perhaps (since no one close by carries the running style I like).... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Dumbest pre-race sleeping-related stunt I ever tried: Junior year HS night before the county meet (last track meet of the year), I tape-recorded myself saying over and over again (in reference to the mile and 2-mile): "I will win both races tomorrow, with two PRs" I had this tape auto-reversing, playing as I tried to fall asleep, hoping to subliminally influence my performance. Well, it influenced my performance all right -- I didn't sleep worth a crap, and ran two completely sucktacular races that I most certainly did not win. Angry

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Dumbest pre-race sleeping-related stunt I ever tried: Junior year HS night before the county meet (last track meet of the year), I tape-recorded myself saying over and over again (in reference to the mile and 2-mile): "I will win both races tomorrow, with two PRs" I had this tape auto-reversing, playing as I tried to fall asleep, hoping to subliminally influence my performance. Well, it influenced my performance all right -- I didn't sleep worth a crap, and ran two completely sucktacular races that I most certainly did not win. Angry
                          You had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions...
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions... you had good intentions...
                            But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...But I ran like shit...

good luck Kirsten! YOu are going to do just great! Big grin I have horrible sleep the night before a race AND the night before my long runs...I usually wake up every hour. It's all about time though. I stress about getting there on time and getting my runs done on time because dh has to be at work. I like to get to races super early so I don't have to stress about parking and so I can park close enough to be able to stay warm in my car. The week before, I am completely worthless. LIke this week. I just sorta sit around and do nothing. nothing. then I get all post hoar-ish on fiftybazilliondifferentmessageboards. Surprised ACK! Dead

Jennifer mm#1231

Prophet!

maybe a little rumble in the bedroom will help Tongue Good luck on the race.