Sub 20 5k at 47 (Read 259 times)

Starman

You guys are encouraging! I knew there was a reason I posted here. :~) Now too bad none of you live in Colorado Springs or Denver for track workouts; we could be a middle age force...haha.

25 straight days of running now! Typical week is 7x 4 miles a day, progression runs on an indoor track, starting at 8:45 pace building to 7:00 pace or mile repeats on the treadmill at 1% incline. Last week I finished one progression run with a 7:21 3rd mile and 6:54 final mile, and ran one of my mile repeats in 6:40. Total mileage: 28. My level of fitness predicts a 21:45 at the moment. First race is St. Patricks in Colorado Springs (6000 ft). I'm shooting for 21:30.

Thanks guys.

Cyberic

This thread has been dead for a year now, but I'm curious to know whether Starman managed to get his sub 20 5k. I'm also wondering if there is a live thread of sub 20 5k runners/trainers on RA.

I'm 44. Been training for 21 k distance for the past year and a half. Wasn't running before. Sometimes I use my GPS watch and time myself at a given distance, just for the kicks. Ran a 21:13  5k today, and all of a sudden, the sub 20 5k is appealing to me. Might have to change my training a bit, but I'm not sure.

mikeymike

If you ran a 21 minute 5k by yourself in training you're probably already a lot closer to 20 minutes than you think--jump in some races and get some race magic.

As for training, there's really no difference between half marathon and 5k training at our level. Training is training.

Runners run

HermosaBoy

If you ran a 21 minute 5k by yourself in training you're probably already a lot closer to 20 minutes than you think--jump in some races and get some race magic.

As for training, there's really no difference between half marathon and 5k training at our level. Training is training.

This about covers it.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

This about covers it.

Yup.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Cyberic

Thanks. Not sure about the "at OUR level" part, as you run more than twice as much as I do, judging from a quick peak at your log. But I get the point: training is training.

mikeymike

Thanks. Not sure about the "at OUR level" part, as you run more than twice as much as I do, judging from a quick peak at your log. But I get the point: training is training.

We're both 44, doing this for fun and neither of us is ever making it to the Olympic 5000m final. We're roughly at the same level.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We're both 44, doing this for fun and neither of us is ever making it to the Olympic 5000m final. We're roughly at the same level.

Also maybe not the Trials.

Yeah, I know, I'm a dream-killer. I'm not making the Trials either.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.