Should I be constantly tired when training for a marathon? (Read 2285 times)

db7

I was also training for a sub-4 marathon earlier this year. I felt the same way you do now feeling tired ALL the time. If I had it to do all over again, I would cut back the overall mileage. I would do more speed work and make sure you get good, quality long runs. I also didn't run much the last two weeks before the marathon to let my legs get fully rested. That paid off in the end. Although I didn't make it under 4, I would have been longer than I was or not been able to run if I had sustained an injury. Keep working hard but make sure you are not just out there going through the motions. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Definitely you shouldn't be tired all the time. Are you doing long runs every weekend? You may want to read this post -- I include a long excerpt on marathon training from a book that I have. Check it out...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Derek, Just to reinforce what's already been said. You can cut back on your mileage significantly and still run a sub-4 marathon. I am not fast, never trained like you are doing now, and have gone sub-4 on 2 of my 3 marathons (my first I ran just to finish). In training for my first marathon, I, too, ran way too much (even doing a 26 miler just before the taper) - looking back, I know I would never do that again. FWIW I used the Runners World "intermediate" with no problems www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-6946-0,00.html. Good luck! Kenny D
          There's a wealth of great advice here already, and I'm no expert, but wanted to throw a couple things out there. When I asked about using the Pfitz plan and scaling it down some, you recommended that I just trim out the recovery runs. I'm thinking if you did that - it would put you right in the 40mpw neighborhood that were looking for and not have to change plans. Whether you dropped the speedwork or not could be a decision you could make based on feel on a week by week basis. The other things I've noticed (reading your blog) is that you were recently (1.5-2 weeks ago?) so sick that you couldn't run for a day or two, immediately followed by a business trip where you were having trouble with the heat and humidity. I'm not saying those things are all to blame, but I suspect they laid the groundwork for you to start feeling the way you do. I also noticed that your posts in your blog and running log were very positive right up until you got sick. Just sayin'. No matter what you decide, I know you will do well in Chicago, Derek!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Your post caught my eye. Here are my two cents. Part of acheiving is pushing as close to the breaking point without breaking. Do do so, you need good judgement and you need to know and listen to your body. When I am pushing up the miles I am exhausted. My legs feel like rods and it is tough. That feeling is your legs turning to steel. I try to increase miles for 2 weeks straight and then drop by 5-10% on the third week. After that, go up again above the previous high. Concerning speed work, don't worry about anything but tempo runs. To break 4 hours you don't need speed, just as many miles under your belt as you can muster without snapping. Good luck.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Part of acheiving is pushing as close to the breaking point without breaking.
              Yes. That is part of it. But the other critical part is rest. Without rest, your body never recovers from the pushing. And you break down. With rest, your body does recover, and then builds from all the pushing.