Looking for Sub 3 Marathon Master Runner's stats (Read 147 times)

Ready to race!

I'm just checking the different running forums for some information.  I'm trying to compile a list of master runners that have run multiple sub 3 hour marathons.  8 or more per year.  If you know of any names that might fit the bill, comment here with the name and I will do the research. I'm compiling this data for my own personal database.  Here are the names I already have:  Mark Sullivan, Kirt Goetzke, Herb Phillips, Matt Ebiner, Kevin Shelton-Smith, Chuck Engle, Doug Curtis, John Piggott, Rich Power.  These guys are all awesome marathoners.  I use MarathonGuide and Athlinks as my main sources, so I mostly look at US runners.

Mescal

HermosaBoy

Not sure if they ever ran 8 in one year, but you might try:

• Eddy Hellebuyck
      • Mbarak Hussein
      • Tom Tisell
      • John Yoder

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

xhristopher

I'm sure many could run 8+ per year but it doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me.

I think Michael Wardian does okay at marathons.  He ran a few last year.  Might be tough to find info on him tho.

Feeling the growl again

Not sure if they ever ran 8 in one year, but you might try:

• Eddy Hellebuyck
            • Mbarak Hussein
            • Tom Tisell
            • John Yoder

Hellebuyck was an EPO doper.  Not sure I'd give him credit for anything.  Busted as a master runner.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

I think Michael Wardian does okay at marathons.  He ran a few last year.  Might be tough to find info on him tho.

LOLZ.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

bhearn

I'm trying to compile a list of master runners that have run multiple sub 3 hour marathons.  

That's me...

8 or more per year.

... nevermind.

bhearn

Oh, and Wardian has been 40 for less than a year, so he doesn't have a ton of masters sub-3s yet.

Oh, and Wardian has been 40 for less than a year, so he doesn't have a ton of masters sub-3s yet.

Wait a few months :-)  I assumed out of the 11 marathons he ran at 40+ quoted by irunfar, probably at least 9 of them were sub 3.

Feeling the growl again

Wait a few months :-)  I assumed out of the 11 marathons he ran at 40+ quoted by irunfar, probably at least 9 of them were sub 3.

I'm not much of a fan of people who go out and run a ton of sub-optimal marathons just to claim some sort of arbitrary record for most number of marathons below X time or wins by cherry-picking tiny marathons.  Attention-seeking.  But Wardian is a genuine freak, and I say that in the most flattering sense.  True, he's probably never approached the best marathon he is capable of running.  I mean he went from almost nothing (lacrosse?) to low-2:20s in a couple years.  But that was a personal choice, can't fault that, and his consistent high-level performances with amazing frequency are impressive.  His recovery abilities are freakish.

I'm not much of a fan of people who go out and run a ton of sub-optimal marathons just to claim some sort of arbitrary record for most number of marathons below X time or wins by cherry-picking tiny marathons.  Attention-seeking.  But Wardian is a genuine freak, and I say that in the most flattering sense.  True, he's probably never approached the best marathon he is capable of running.  I mean he went from almost nothing (lacrosse?) to low-2:20s in a couple years.  But that was a personal choice, can't fault that, and his consistent high-level performances with amazing frequency are impressive.  His recovery abilities are freakish.

I tend to agree

mikeymike

That takes more time and a bigger race budget than I've got. OUT.

Runners run

joescott

8 sub 3's in a year seems like a really odd quality criteria.  Heck, a lot of guys could do that.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Ready to race!

I guess I have a different definition of sub par.  The times that these guys are putting down are times that qualify them as master elite runners by USATF standards.  They are also times that qualify them as elite at several medium sized marathons.  That means they are invited to races and can race for free.  These times are also good enough to draw some sponsors.  That helps the budget, I'm sure.

Mescal

HermosaBoy

That means they are invited to races and can race for free.  These times are also good enough to draw some sponsors.  That helps the budget, I'm sure.

I would guess that most are not getting invited to races -- they have to ask for the comp entry.  Also, racing for free is all well and good, but it's the travel that kills the budget.  Unless you don't mind driving to the race and sleeping in your car.  I have heard of at least one runner on your list that did that...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob