(Okay, this has nothing to do with running but...) there was an earthquake near Alaska... (Read 421 times)

You doing okay, AKTrail?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There're always earthquakes near Alaska (179 in the past 4 days in this list) -- but I hope our Alaskan comrades are okay.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

You doing okay, AKTrail?

Yep, thanks for checking. It was waaaay south of us, in SE Alaska. Never felt it. Just happened to see the tsunami alert on FB. I was going to post an alert here since some of the watches or advisories looked like they extended almost to WA, but they were cancelled shortly after I saw them.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/75-earthquake-southeast-triggers-tsunami-warning-alaska-coast

Tsunami Warning Center is located about 2mi from where I live, and a neat place to tour. Neat graphics online at the time - time waves of when the tsunami might reach certain points (travel time). So much easier to comprehend than the old text messages, esp. when you have no idea where the places are (other than they're south and east of here)

http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/

<ramble about current methods of communicating emergency info>

Some of the events we've had recently are interesting to see where the info comes from first - and the print newspapers with online sites are NOT the leaders. Alaska Dispatch is online only and not trying to charge for information. Flooding in the fall was documented by borough's public info officers with GIS support - on their website, but mostly on FB where they had people post pics of the flooding (built-in documentation). (while some of the local print newspapers will try to charge you for the emergency information - get some free access, but minimal)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

There're always earthquakes near Alaska (179 in the past 4 days in this list) -- but I hope our Alaskan comrades are okay.

One of my bookmarked sites. Wink  Keep in mind that Alaska - from the western tip of the Aleutians to the most SE part of the state (near Vancouver, I think - not sure of landmarks down there) to the north end near Barrow - is about as expansive as the entire lower 48 states and areawise about as 2+ times the size of Texas.

Map of Alaska overlain on contiguous 48

Most earthquakes that show on that list are usually in the 1.xx to 2.xx, but when they start getting up in the 4s and 5s and are near you is when you feel them. The earthquakes clustering in that area of SE are hitting near 4 and several of them. That's not the usual.

Also, it seems like earthquakes usually hit in spring and fall so having mid-winter ones seems weird. OTOH, we've had a weird winter - fairly warm, no /little snow.

What is weird is when you're digging potatoes and the ground starts moving.

Oh, and don't forget the volcanic eruptions that happen occasionally. We've gotten some of the ash from those 20+ yr ago, but haven't gotten any recently. Ash is part of some of our soils. And we've got active glaciers, but they're not in danger of overrunning any towns. Wink

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

#artbydmcbride

What is weird is when you're digging potatoes and the ground starts moving.

Don't dig up a volcano!

Runners run