Sport Wax vs. Body Glide (Read 1127 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Lynn B, I really like SportShield too. BG is too waxy IMO and tends to wear off. SportShield is really easy to apply and is REALLY slippery. Plus it stays on (in fact it takes some work to wash off). Only problem is that it's hard to find, I think I'll order online. I may try that powder too. BTW what's your next race?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting...I just discovered that the Sport Shield is carried by the 2 running retailers an hour from me. Next time I am down that way I will have to pick some up. I can always save my unopened Body Glide to give my brother. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

Anyone use vaseline? I have always had good results from it. Inner thighs, between the toes, nipples and under my eyes to ward off the burn of the sweat. 0.02

Into the wild

I use vaseline Daddyo. It is fab in that it works 100% of the time; I know this 'casue if I forget to put it on I see what happens! I have been seduced by this thread and ordered some BG...the reason being that although vaseline works well it has fecked up my fav running vest Sad I'm not completely vain about my running appearance but it looks like an old dish-cloth with grease patches like panda's eyes over my nips lol I'm hoping the BG won't do this... I may stick (strange choice of word?) with vaseline for my inner thighs.

Shut up and run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...although vaseline works well it has fecked up my fav running vest Sad I'm not completely vain about my running appearance but it looks like an old dish-cloth with grease patches like panda's eyes over my nips lol I'm hoping the BG won't do this... I may stick (strange choice of word?) with vaseline for my inner thighs.
            This is why I have never used Vaseline--I'd read a long time ago that it stains...so, though it's cheap, it's not worth the savings to damage $$ running clothes. The BG is great...I've never seen any traces of it after laundering my running gear. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Lynn B, I really like SportShield too. BG is too waxy IMO and tends to wear off. SportShield is really easy to apply and is REALLY slippery. Plus it stays on (in fact it takes some work to wash off). Only problem is that it's hard to find, I think I'll order online. I may try that powder too. BTW what's your next race?
              Vaseline absolutely stains. I have found that BG also will leave a slight stain on lighter stuff. Haven't had any problems with the SportShield... Races currently under consideration: Cascade Crest 100 - Aug 25 Cactus Rose 100 - November OR UltraCentric - November Working/Volunteering at Rockledge Rumble in November Maybe Rocky Raccoon 50K in October or something nearby... Prolly Dallas White Rock Mary with my youngest son - his first...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

UltraCentric - November or Rockledge Rumble in November
                So Lynn, not that I'm going to publicly commit to anything until after I attempt my first marathon in October, but if you were a newbie runner again and were thinking of trying the 50k at Rockledge or the 6 hour at Ultracentric, which one would you lean towards. I like the sound of the Ultracentric because it has the shorter loop course and you had mentioned that would be a cool race to attend in one of the El Scorcho threads. Also, do you think I will have trouble signing up for either if I wait until mid-October to register?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

You'll ruin your knees!

Mike, That's probably not a good comparison of races. Rockledge is a pretty technical trail and UltraCentric is run 100% on asphalt roads...VERY different. Both will be good events...you and I appear to be similarly paced, so I would think your time in a 50K would be similar to mine. However, on a technical trail like Rockledge, I would expect my experience would win out over your youthful exuberance! I would think you will take closer to 7 hours on the Rockledge Rumble course for 50K, if not longer...seems to always be hot on race day. You will get a better feel for the "ultra" crowd at Rockledge than you did at El Scorcho (very much a marathon/10K minded group in my opinion - not a bad thing, just different). UltraCentric, or any timed road event for that matter, is a wildly differnt animal! You will get an interesting cross between the road runners who have challengend themselves to see what there mettle is on the 6 or 12 hour event, a few elite ultra-runners in the 24 hour event (National Championship again this year) like Dean Karnazes and Pam Reed if they come back this year), and the zombies who have chosen to try their hand/feet at the 48 hour. The aid stations are a blast and the absolute apex of activity will be during the time allotted for the 6 hour event. If you ever want to talk more detail, let me know and we can hook up via email or I can send you my cell phone number... Perhaps we can hook up for a trail run together sometime... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Lynn, Thanks so much for your reply. It answers the questions I had while making me think of several others. Off to a meeting though. I've still got your email so I will shoot you some questions later today or tonight. And I would definitely be up for a trail run with you sometime! Thanks, again!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?