Garmin advice please... (Read 759 times)

einepyk

So, after running for years using just an ordinary wrist-watch to time my runs, I'm thinking of ceasing to be a dinosaur and buy a Garmin Forerunner...

The trouble is advancing years are taking their toll on my eyesight, and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to read small LCD-style displays. I certainly don't want to run wearing reading-glasses so I'm looking for a watch with a big clear display!

If I understand correctly, the Forerunner 410 has the possibility of customising some data pages and that it is possible to display one, two, of three data fields on these pages. I'd like to know if only one field is displayed, does this field occupy the whole screen? If so, maybe I could see it without glasses!

Basically I only want a simple watch. elapsed time, distance and speed are all that I'm really interested in - plus the chance to record and analyse performance after the event.

Any advice would be very welcome

Thanks

Steve

If I understand correctly, the Forerunner 410 has the possibility of customising some data pages and that it is possible to display one, two, of three data fields on these pages. I'd like to know if only one field is displayed, does this field occupy the whole screen? If so, maybe I could see it without glasses!

Basically I only want a simple watch. elapsed time, distance and speed are all that I'm really interested in - plus the chance to record and analyse performance after the event.

A number of the Garmin models permit this (at least the 410, 305/310XT/910XT, and 405/405CX/610).  The 110/210 do NOT.  EDIT: The 110 does not -- the 210 DOES allow data field customizing.  (Both my old 305 and current 310XT use a VERY LARGE FONT when the display has but one data field.)  These models also have a "scroll displays" setting, so you can specify one data field per screen and the watch will "slide-show" scroll through them.

MTA: edited a mistake above.  Also, the Garmin website has a nice feature that lets you compare various models.  And DC Rainmaker has the best GPS reviews I've ever read.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

einepyk

Many thanks for your advice CliveF  

Smile

I have a similar problem and that is why I chose the 310 over the 410.  I can have 4 data fields showing on the 310 and still read them.  That would not be the case with the 410.

HermosaBoy

A number of the Garmin models permit this (at least the 410, 305/310XT/910XT, and 405/405CX/610).  The 110/210 do NOT.  EDIT: The 110 does not -- the 210 DOES allow data field customizing.  (Both my old 305 and current 310XT use a VERY LARGE FONT when the display has but one data field.)  These models also have a "scroll displays" setting, so you can specify one data field per screen and the watch will "slide-show" scroll through them.

MTA: edited a mistake above.  Also, the Garmin website has a nice feature that lets you compare various models.  And DC Rainmaker has the best GPS reviews I've ever read.

What customizing does the 210 allow?

I thought the only thing that you could customize was Displaying Pace or Speed (Current, Average or Lap)?  If there are more options, that would make this a much better option!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Check the following website under the section data fields for the 210:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/12/garmin-forerunner-210-in-depth-review.html

HermosaBoy

Check the following website under the section data fields for the 210:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/12/garmin-forerunner-210-in-depth-review.html

Cool...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Runs With Kid

The 205 also has an option to show 1, 2, 3 or 4 data fields.  Even with 4 the numbers are pretty good size.  This watch is the older model of the 210, I'm not sure what the differences are, but like you I was without a GPS for a long time, I just bought the 205 two weeks ago and absolutely love it.  You can get a good deal on Amazon too because it's not the latest and greatest.  I'm surrounded by trees everywhere that I run and I have not lost signal yet.  Good luck.

einepyk

my thanks to you all...