Any Cyclists? (Read 1403 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Looks like my daughter will be a Michiganite for a few years. She is looking really hard at Northern Michigan University. I think she will be signing a letter of intent pretty soon.

Brrr...way up in da UP, hey!  It's beautiful up there.  What does she plan to study?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Brrr...way up in da UP, hey!  It's beautiful up there.  What does she plan to study?

Biology. She hopes to go onto med school.

She will be pole vaulting for the track team too.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Way cool all around!  She won't be too terribly far from you, either.

~ Sarah Kay

aleyoung86

Well, this is a first. I had 93 miles this week. I've never done that before. Sad thing is when I see some of the people on Strava or on here that do that much in a ride...who then proceed to do similar mileage every single day... ugh, I guess in time it will come. As my friend rgilbert keeps insisting, "you've only been training for a week and a half. Shut up." Still, 6 months until my ride, and several months until the group rides start...

2012: Wish a Mile Ride: 300 miles in 3 days to benefit the kids of Make A Wish.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As my friend rgilbert keeps insisting, "you've only been training for a week and a half. Shut up."

He is wise.  Don't freak out about the milage...it is WAY easy to build up mileage fast on the bike, since there isn't the impact that comes with running.  My first full year on the bike had me finish with >3500 miles (my bike was only about 6 weeks old when that year started, so I was a noob of the highest order).  That is in addition to running 1000 and being laid up with a bad ankle sprain.  The sprain is what led to all of the riding, since I couldn't run a step for >5 weeks and my on-foot mileage was really shot for about 3 months.

This Winter I'm just happy if I can put in 50 miles/week on my bike.  I have a CX bike with studded tires that is great on packed snow and ice, but we haven't had a lot of that and I don't feel much like having to swap out my tires back-and-forth, so my bike's been mostly sitting in the garage.  Plus I hate riding alone this time of the year.  I am paranoid that something will happen to me or my bike and leave me stranded far from civilization and getting chilled fast.  And I hate the laundry that Winter riding entails...and the time it takes to put on all those layers and shoe covers, then reversing the process after the ride.  Plus it's just damned lonely.  Running alone has never bothered me, but I loathe biking alone, for some reason.

But I know that I can easily throw down a 100 mile week once the weather warms up.  A month of that and a 200 mile week is no biggie.  I could never increase my running mileage by 400% in that short span of time (at least not without incurring injury).

~ Sarah Kay

He is wise.  Don't freak out about the milage...it is WAY easy to build up mileage fast on the bike, since there isn't the impact that comes with running.

+1.  I got my bike at the end of APR 2011 and was easily up in the 50-65 mpw range right away, with 75-125 mpw not hard to reach from there.  Physically, anyway -- it is harder to schedule cycling than running (for me, at least).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

+1.  I got my bike at the end of APR 2011 and was easily up in the 50-65 mpw range right away, with 75-125 mpw not hard to reach from there.  Physically, anyway -- it is harder to schedule cycling than running (for me, at least).

Same for me. I find that I look at the current and hourly weather a lot closer when I'm thinking about going for a ride, unless its a commute to for work. I tend to look at the wind and chance of rain much more then temps although I do have a stationary trainer and a roller in the basement.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xhristopher

Well, this is a first. I had 93 miles this week. I've never done that before. Sad thing is when I see some of the people on Strava or on here that do that much in a ride...who then proceed to do similar mileage every single day... ugh.

I guess if you are riding coast to coast 93 miles a day sounds reasonable. Otherwise, who's got time to ride 93 miles a day, every day unless your job is riding 93 miles a day? I can run a marathon a lot faster than I can ride 93 miles.

Fortunately increasing biking mileage isn't like increasing running mileage. You don't have to adapt to the pounding so, if your aerobically up to it, it goes quicker. Of course, no need to rush. I also echo the comments about scheduling.

Slo

I don't know anybody that trains by riding 93 miles everyday.

Same for me. I find that I look at the current and hourly weather a lot closer when I'm thinking about going for a ride, unless its a commute to for work. I tend to look at the wind and chance of rain much more then temps although I do have a stationary trainer and a roller in the basement.

Don't cut a work out because of wind. In your face, at your back or a side wind...This is good training. Miserable...If it ain't at your back yeah but if it's in your face it teaches forces you to stay in the drops and spin.

Rain...I'm mostly concerned with T-Storms (lightning) and visibility...the cars, not mine.

Muscle discomfort will be your biggest obstacle for your 300mile / 3 day ride. Your rear - end, your upper back right between your sholuder blades and maybe your lower back. Take care of your hands. Wear cycling gloves. It's very easy to permantly damage nerves in your hands. You could also have adverse weather to deal with so knowing the suck before hand helps too. If you could do it on a training ride it'll be much easier when your out there for real.

aleyoung86

Your rear - end, your upper back right between your sholuder blades and maybe your lower back. Take care of your hands. Wear cycling gloves. It's very easy to permantly damage nerves in your hands. You could also have adverse weather to deal with so knowing the suck before hand helps too. If you could do it on a training ride it'll be much easier when your out there for real.

So, I was having trouble with saddle pain and wound up buying a Selle An-Atomica off ebay. That was great...until I started getting above an hour of riding. Then it started rubbing uncomfortably. So I tried lacing it to pull the sides in. That made matters worse. Until today. I broke down and did something I don't ordinarily do. I went to the LBS. The conversation went something like this: 

"Are you a Specialized dealer?"

"Yes"

"Do you have one of the ass-measurement devices?"

"No, I don't think they work, I use the trial and error method with you on a trainer."

"Awesome."

So I drove over there after work and the guy worked with me for like 45 minutes trying out 5 different saddles. I finally settled (ha ha) on the Specialized Toupe Expert. Best part was that they sold it to me for an even hundy instead of the usual buck-twenty they MSRP for. I have never been to a LBS where they didn't charge me more than MSRP. 

I got home and tried the saddle out for a couple miles, so far it's great. I really don't even notice its there. I guess we'll see if I still love it tomorrow when I do my hour workout. We'll see. I'll post up if anyone's interested. If you're not? Tough.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like the Specialized saddles, though they're not quite t-shaped enough for me.  I'm on a Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour on my road bike, for now, but still am not in love with it.  I have a Bontrager Affinity RL WSD on my CX bike and think I maybe like that one a bit more, but it's designed for more upright riding and I'm in a less aggressive position on that bike.  Not sure how I'd like it on my road bike.  I may have to try it, at some point.

I've gone through quite a few saddles to rule out the ones that are definite nos.  Pear-shaped, squishy ones are no-nos for me.  I really liked the Fizik Arione Donna, but it wasn't wide enough and I kept sliding off one side (talk about chafing! Shocked).  They have yet to figure out that most women have wider sit bones than men. Roll eyes

~ Sarah Kay

(I only know from my experience, but...)

The saddle height matters.  I've never felt saddle discomfort, but I've made sure that my saddle was proper by going to the LBS to have them do the proper measurements.  I think that when you're fit properly for the bike, you shouldn't feel too much pain anywhere (back, butt, neck, shoulders, ...).  Make friends with your LBS.  It's worth the investment (money / time / etc.).  Use them, and they'll help you.

When I do long solo rides, I do get a little tired neck and wish I could just look down at the road rather than up the road.  Otherwise, my butt and my back feel fine.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Otherwise, my butt and my back feel fine.

Cheers,

Um, in my case it's not my butt that hurts.  I'm on a rock hard saddle and my sit bones didn't hurt a bit after pedaling for 150 miles.  Can't say the same for areas further forward, though. Cry

~ Sarah Kay

aleyoung86

A lot of saddle related issue also seems to have a lot to do with posture. I've read. Lot of people saying that your saddle is kind of your form coach. As for your discomfort Z do you have a flat top saddle, or does it have a groove?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Flat and firm with a cut-out.  The saddle that is most comfortable has a divot, rather than a cut-out, so I may simply be one of those people who doesn't do as well with an abrupt-edged pressure-relieving feature.  The SSM Aspide Glamour also comes in a version sans cut out (it has sort of a wide and shallow channel down the middle), but for $160.  I have yet to find one without the cut-out and cheaper, except for in Pepto Bismol pink...no way!

~ Sarah Kay