Lingo here .. what is being said. (Read 1585 times)

Turbolegs

I for one, have had to google quite a bit to understand some of the abbreviations used here. I just thought it would be great to get all the usual jargon here so that it can benefit those who are unfamiliar with the lingo. Please chime in with whatever has been missed out.

General

1. FWIW: For what its worth

2. IIRC: If i remember correctly

3.IMO / IMHO: In my opinion / In my humble opinion

4. HTFU: Harden the f*ck up

5. FIFY: Fixed it for you

6. YMMV: Your mileage might vary

7. DH / DW : Dear Husband / Dear Wife

8. LMGTFY: Let me google that for you (Annotation: For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than google it for themselves.)

9. PITA: Pain in the ass

10: MTA: Modified to add

11. GSP: Giant scary place (as related to RA hostile thread turf ? )

12: DILLIGAF: Do i look like i give a f*ck?

13. FUBAR: F*cked up beyond all reason / recognition

14. TL;DR: Too long; Didnt read

Running Related

1. BQ: Boston Qualif-y/ied

2. DNS: Did not start

3. DNF: Did not finish / Did nothing fatal

4. DQ: Disqualified

5. LT: Lactate threshold

6. LSD: Long slow distance

7. OT(Q): Olympic trials (qualify)

8: (H)MP: (Half) Marathon pace

9. HR / MHR / HRR / RHR: Heart Rate / Maximal Heart Rate / Heart Rate Reserve / Resting Heart Rate

10. PR / PB / PW / CR : Personal Record / Personal Best / Personal Worst / Course Record

11. BMI : Body mass index

12. BMR: Basal metabolic rate

13.DFL = Dead f'ing last

14.1OA / 1AG = first overall / first in age group

What else?

MTA: Should have seen the earlier related thread. Thanks Jehu, Trent, Amores, SRL, DrrBrad and others .. i will keep adding to the list here so that first post has everything

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

BQ: Boston Qualify

OTQ: Olympic Trials Qualify   (cause so many of us are right on the edge of this, oh yeah)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

CAD, DH, COPD, HTFU, .........

MTA: Jehu beat me.

COPD?

xor

That is the unix daemon in charge of all security-related processes.

Turbolegs

COPD?

Since i work in a pharma company where this is the next big thing from a new class of treatment perspective, it stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease ... a degenerative non-reversible condition, usually found in smokers. For the medically inclined, look up Roflumilast.

bhearn

Some that seem to be RA (or maybe swamp) specific that I still don't get:

GETM

gsp

Since i work in a pharma company where this is the next big thing from a new class of treatment perspective, it stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease ... a degenerative non-reversible condition, usually found in smokers. For the medically inclined, look up Roflumilast.

yes that was my first thought too - just confused as to the relationship between COPD and running. I feel like they don't coincide well. Smile

drrbradford

I think MTA should be added to 'General'. I've only just cracked what that means.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ok, some more that fit into your running category:

DFL = Dead f'ing last

1OA = first overall

1AG = first in age group

PS: I've seen HMP being used. I just saw it about 15sec ago in a different thread.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Some that seem to be RA (or maybe swamp) specific that I still don't get:

GETM

gsp

No idea on GETM.  

I've assumed gsp was for Garden State Parkway. Busy roadway, open to all.? Just my guess

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Turbolegs

I have never seen Getm either .. google didnt help too .. perhaps it was a typo?

xor

gsp is, apparently, "great scary place" or "giant scary place"... meaning the regular message board area.  It is used by people who hang out in one of the groups like masters or the swamp or perhaps that group I'm not allowed to mention by name.  I think (though I can't say for sure) that "gsp" kind of means "the place where you are more likely to get beat up, as opposed to the friendly confines in here".

xor

Yes, I think that was a little in joke between the doctor (Trent) and the doctor-to-be (LaBrat).