Walked 65 miles for my 65th birthday. (Read 959 times)

Homer

Looks like you got some local press! What all happened?

My original intent was to see if I could complete the 65 miles, then if so, put an article in the newspaper.  However, my daughter-lin-law was telling her co-workers what I was doing and they thought see should call the news media and tell them about it.  Meanwhile, a friend of mine, called Newschannel 5 and told them how I was celebrating my birthday, and soon I had Fox17 and Ch 5 on hand to interview me.  Ch 5 put a mike on me and spent nearly 5 hours filming and falking, and even brought their helicopter to hover over me for about 20 min. I am trying to get a copy of their newscoverage for a souvenier.   Early in the afternoon, my friends in our running club started showing up when they got off work, and walked with me.  At times there were 20 or more walking along with me and many of them stayed until the end at 9:51,   Several times, people would come out and talk to me and take my picture.   I tried to maintain 15 min miles, but with all the interviews, and shoe changes, foot wrapping, etc, my average was slowed.  My overall average, including all breaks, etc, was 3.52 mi per hour.  If I can solve my blister problem, my next goal would be to run more of the miles, but that is another day.

Homer

Wow.  I'm impressed.  I also did my first marathon at age 64 and have been thinking I should plan something for my next milestone birthday.  Maybe 70 miles at 70?  Better might be 70.5 at 70.5 since it would be daylight longer in the summer.  I wonder what's 35 miles away from here that I could go out and come back.

I decided a 10K route would help me mentally, but around lap 7 and 8, I was really starting to dread continuing the same route.  I thought about reversing a couple laps, but did not like the idea of walking with the traffic.  For safety sake, I wanted to walk toward the traffic, especially with a crowd in tow.  Another thing about walking 10k routes, I didn't have to carry very much stuff because I was continuely returning to my base where I could keep all of my supplies.   If you go out and back, you will either have to plan supplies or carry a lot of stuff with you.  I found out that after about 40 miles, your body starts changing and I did not crave solid food, flavored water is a no no, and trail mix doesn't.  It gets all gummy and taste like a dough ball.  It is hard to swallow with drinking more water, and I was trying to avoid over-hydrating.  At one pojnt my hands would swell up, so I drank more salty water and gatorate and not regular water for a lap, and it cleared up.   Be careful about drinking too much water.  It can be as bad as not enough water,  find a balance.   EA milk worked well.     If you need more advise, I will try to help.

an amazing likeness

Wow, that is one rugged accomplishment. Mentally and physically !   Thanks for sharing it. 

In tomorrow's run, there will be some point where I'm dragging a bit and I will think of you, trekking 65 miles and use that to kick myself back into gear.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, Homer, that was quite an Odyssey

Or, "Whoo hoo!"

Anyway, it won't get any easier.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I turned 33 this year, and chickened out of doing 33 miles of running/walking for my birthday.  Very impressive feat.

maybe I'll have to do 41 kilometers next year.  But I ain't doin' no marathon!

(great job Homer)

Homer

maybe I'll have to do 41 kilometers next year.  But I ain't doin' no marathon!

(great job Homer)

Surely, if you can get 41K , you could do 1 more K.   I think if you did 41K, your excitement will carry you to do one more K.    Use it as your cool down.    Good Luck.   Be sure to let us know.

Homer

I turned 33 this year, and chickened out of doing 33 miles of running/walking for my birthday.  Very impressive feat.

If your handle is an indication of your talent, maybe you could play the strings for 33 miles.  Now that would be neat !  Just don't drop it........

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Wow Homer that is quite an accomplishment! I'll probably never get to walk or run that far - cardiologist would have a fit. I just got cleared to run a half and hit my longest distance this morning - 8.9 mi with lots of hills. I can't imagine going for 65 miles! Congratulations! You are an inspiration to all of us old farts - oh, I'll be 63 in Oct. Am planning a 15k on Labor Day and first half on 11/8. Keep up the good work!

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Homer

Wow Homer that is quite an accomplishment! I'll probably never get to walk or run that far - cardiologist would have a fit. I just got cleared to run a half and hit my longest distance this morning - 8.9 mi with lots of hills. I can't imagine going for 65 miles! Congratulations! You are an inspiration to all of us old farts - oh, I'll be 63 in Oct. Am planning a 15k on Labor Day and first half on 11/8. Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much.  If you did 8.9 this morning with hill work, I'd say you were ready for your 15k., with 2 months to increase to 21K.  Looking good.      If you checked your heart rate this morning, maybe report to your doctor and help him to feel better about your efforts.   Have a great race and good luck on your training efforts.