More 'obsolete browser' weirdness... (Read 92 times)

And in the end...

So, I had an issue with the most recent IE10 version reporting as an obsolete browers here on RA.  I downgraded back to IE9 and everything worked fine.

Now, as of today, when I browse to RA I get the obsolete browser box again.  Still on IE9.  When I enable the developer tools it shows the browser mode as 'IE9 Compat VIew' and the Document Mode as 'IE7 standards'.  What the hell?  It doesn't happen on other sites.  This.Is.Weird.

------------------------

The GITM is moot.

Matt,

I was able to reproduce the problem a while ago on IE10.  It reverted back to IE7 mode.  After i disabled compatibility mode and restarted the browser, the problem never came back.  I also have seen the problem on IE8 and the training plan editor.  It kept reverting back to IE7 mode.  I believe in both cases, the problem was IE detected a rendering problem with the HTML created by JavaScript.

I was not able to figure out the problem in IE8 and the training plan editor since the generated HTML is standards compliant as far as I know.  It is possible that the ads you're getting are triggering compatibility mode too.

As for other sites, IE9/10 may or may not render in IE7 mode, depending on the ads.  I gather disabling compatibility does not fix the problem?  What happens if you change the doc mode back to IE9/10?

And in the end...

Hey Eric,

If I manually change the rendering then the site displays properly.  If I don't change it, then the site has some funky display stuff.  Either way, the obsolete browser box stays... and, the next time I connect to RA, IE reverts back to the IE9 Compat View witrh IE7 Standards.

I haven't had time to play around with it yet, but I'll do more digging later.

------------------------

The GITM is moot.

And in the end...

Ok, so I went into Internet Options and reset the Advanced tab.  Problem appears to be resolved.  Weird.

------------------------

The GITM is moot.

Come on, Admit it.  You are using a Radio Shack Tandy TRS-80.  

The Plan (big parts)→  /// April:  Hampton, VA 24 Hour Run for Cancer (PR 80 Miles) ///  Nov:  New York Marathon  ///  Dec:  Seashore State Park 50K  ///  ∞

And in the end...

No... I upgraded to the 1000SX with the 8087 math co-processor.  Smokin' fast!  I mostly play King's Quest and surf BBSes over my 1200bps modem.

------------------------

The GITM is moot.

IE? Why? Chrome, Firefox etc. all run on Windows...

Mmmmm...beer

With the cassette tape drive!  Damn we're old. lol

-Dave

2014 Goals | sub-19 5k done! | sub-40 10k | sub-1:25 HM | BQ done! | sub-3 M