Running Lingo - help me out here...... (Read 365 times)

dennrunner

To go even one step deeper, an 'interval workout' focuses on the interval (recovery) portion as the limiting factor, whereas a 'repeat workout' focuses on the repeat portion as the limiting factor.  For instance, if I run 10x800m repeats with 72sec recovery intervals, the recovery is the limiter so the pace of the 800s is dictated by the recovery.  If you limit the interval, the repeats are obviously more difficult.  If I run 10x800m @6:00 pace with 400m recovery intervals, the limiter is the pace of the repeat and the recovery can be as slow as necessary to hit the next repeat pace.

So, they are very different workouts.  Are we running a repeat workout, or an interval workout?  Regardless, the running portion is the repeat and the recovery portion is the interval.  And, in fact, many people know this...

I'm agreeing with you. That is unless you're trying to argue few versus many.

Mr MattM

I'm agreeing with you. That is unless you're trying to argue few versus many.

No, I'm not arguing at all.  I'm enjoying the topic...

We could move to the question:  What is a tempo run?  Big grin

be curious; not judgmental

bhearn

Yes, and then, is the interval (recovery) distance-based (e.g. Hansons), or time-based (e.g. Pfitzinger)?