Snacks you might keep in hotel for the night before the marathon (Read 318 times)

kcam

Not eating at all is a bad idea but, although I'm a fan of the Pop Tart, I definitely wouldn't eat anything so sugary before a marathon (or even a long run).  Sugar rush then crash, at least for me.

#artbydmcbride

Pop tart every 5 miles?

Runners run

Pop tart every 5 miles?

Actually, an unfrosted P-Tart has only 2 more grams of sugar than a Clif Shot gel.

I just felt like Trent.

Pop tart every 5 miles?

You could probably fit them all in a Spibelt, those things stretch like crazy. Just like gels, time it before a water stop, because you have GOT to wash those things down with something.

Dave

Zelanie

At first I thought my iPhone 6 plus broke and bent in my pocket...then i realized it was only my Oreo pop tart..then I also realized I don't own an iPhone 6 plus..

some call me Tim

Ok, so if the topic were changed to, 'What might you ingest, EVER, before a marathon besides POP TARTS(and beer)?', as impossible a decision as that would be..

FreeSoul...

I think it would be Larabars. Cherry Pie? Goddamn, have you had that? I think I might switch over... just buy a can of vanilla frosting and some of those Larabars and just use my imagination. Positive result GUARANTEED, brother!

(for the sake of clarification I am seriously this enthusiastic about these foods and Larabars are simple, natural and pretty easily accessible, to say nothing of cans of frosting)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Actually, an unfrosted P-Tart has only 2 more grams of sugar than a Clif Shot gel.

I just felt like Trent.

I am very very very sorry.

Very.

Sorry.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Unless you make them yourself from scratch and with just a few ingredients, they are likely every bit as processed as pop tarts.

And frankly, the night before you run a marathon and burn through some 3000+ calories is not the time to be worried about avoiding simple carbs or processed food. Pop Tarts are easily digestible, fill of simple calories, pretty danged tasty and (as others have said) easily transportable.

Cinnamon Raisin English Muffins though Smile

I am very very very sorry.

Very.

Sorry.

Not as sorry as I was.

Docket_Rocket

2 1/2 to 3 hours before my marathon tomorrow morning I'll eat a cup of oatmeal and 2 poptarts.  First time I've tried this combination, so will have to see how it works out.  I didn't eat at all before Chicago a couple of weeks ago and I slowed down in the latter miles.

2-3 hours before my marathon I am still asleep.   I actually do not eat anything before a marathon (or LR).  My stomach won't tolerate it.  It does not slow me down (any more than I already am).  One of my fastest was after no food before and no gels during it (just water).

And thanks to this thread, I just bought poptarts.  I blame all of you.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I just felt like Trent.

But who would eat such a thing?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Joann Y

And thanks to this thread, I just bought poptarts.  I blame all of you.

Same. Two boxes two days ago and they're almost gone. I think my half marathon PR decreased by approximately 2 minutes for each pop tart that I ate the night before. Not sure if the beer, wine, and frozen pizzas I ate made any difference at all.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. If you squish them flat in your suitcase, they are sort of like a high protein, DIY Pop-tart.

From the vending machine at my office. You'd think I work in an office full of runners, but surprisingly it is an office full of fat people. Weird.

Dave

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned these.  My universal, go-to, pre-race snack; especially before a marathon:

"They're magically delicious!"