Race (Jesse Owens movie) (Read 93 times)

Joann Y

Any of you all see it? I'm curious what others thought. I dragged my family to see it last night and we all really enjoyed it (even the 10 year old). I thought the acting was good, the story well told, and the moments waiting for that gun to go off before the 100 m exhilarating.

MTA: This version works well as a family movie. It's good. Not too complex that it can't be understood with a little explaining and wow, the discussions it opens up. I'm just reading some of the reviews online now. Yeah, not raving reviews but I think the point is that this movie needed to be made and needs to be made again and again. It's that kind of life and that kind of story.

Joann Y

Now I'm getting down into it and will display my ignorance for everyone to see. I think I was vaguely aware of some film footage from the 1936 Olympics but I had no idea that it was a full documentary (the link is just part 1) until watching Race last night. Just seeing the opening of the film on YouTube now, this looks absolutely fascinating.

Best Present Ever

We saw it as a family as well. We enjoyed It, though I thought it was only fair to middling as movies go. Lots of discussion about it in our mixed race family.

Kalsarikännit

will display my ignorance for everyone to see

I'll join in.  Until last week, I had no idea that there were eighteen black athletes at the 1936 Olympics.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I had no idea they had Olympics that long ago.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.