Suggest a Marathon Pace (Read 642 times)

TryinBrian

I’m new to the site and a first time poster and would appreciate some assistance. I’ll be running a marathon at the end of March in NJ. I’d like some advice relating to a targeted pace for the race. A little background…I’m 50 y/o and have been running for about 8 years, and have completed a marathon in 2005 and 4 half marathons (the last in Sep 07 with a time of 1:57). If I use a race calculator, and I’ve tried 3 of them, they all point to around 4:07, about a 9:13 pace. At this point, that seems well beyond my capability. I was leaning towards a 10:00 pace. Thanks.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, it'd be Christmas everyday.

Dave

Brian, you got off on the right foot by linking to your log. Very helpful. Based on your 10 miler, you may very well be able to sustain something a bit faster than 10 minutes. Not sure how hard you pushed to maintain that pace but it does seem to indicate that you're capable of something in the 9:30 range. Maybe do the first half in 9:45 pace and then pick it up from there depending on how you feel up to 9:20-9:30?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Why is it sideways?

You're right to be skeptical of the race calculators. Looking at your log, I noticed that your shorter runs are quite fast, but that you slow down quite a bit on the longer runs. This indicates a weaker aerobic base, which is normal for a beginning runner. The race calculators are built with the experienced runner in mind, and usually will predict faster times for the longer distances than most folks are able to run. I'm not sure how helpful I would be in predicting a good pace for your run, but a rule of thumb for the average marathoner is to double the HM time and add 20 minutes. That would put you around 4:15 or so. You might start out at that 10:00 pace (4:22), and if you feel good, pick it up over the last half.
        Tremont

I'm also 50 and ran my first marathon three weeks ago. Before my race the "Purdy formula" race predictor was recommended to me as a more realistic predictor for marathon times for less experienced marathoners. It seemed to do the trick for me in my race. I ran a 10K three weeks before my marathon and pretty much plugged that result into a Purdy calculator and used the pace it gave me and averaged almost exactly that pace for the marathon. Here's a link to an online Purdy formula (and alternatives) calculator: http://runningforfitness.org/calc/rp.php I plugged your 1:57 half into it and it spit out 4:20 for the full, which is a ~10:00 pace. How do you feel compared to 9/07 when you ran the half? If you're feeling faster/fitter now then maybe adjust your pace accordingly. How did you feel during/after your long runs? It's very tough to use training pace to determine race pace but if you're feeling very chipper running 20+ at 10:30-10:40 then I'd think 10:00 would be too conservative. I ran my long runs pretty close to 1:30 slower than my eventual marathon pace. It'd be nice if you had a more recent race to use as another data point. Any chance of doing a short race before the marathon? There are lots of local St. Pat's races around here (Boston) this weekend. The shorter the distance the less accurate it is as a predictor for a marathon but I'd think even a 5K result would still provide useful information. Good luck! MTA: made the URL click-able
            I’ll be running a marathon at the end of March in NJ. Thanks.
            So will I,, the Ocean Drive Marathon. It will be the first time I'll run it. Is that your race? The advice you are getting here is great and useful,, but if that's the race, the weather also needs to part of your pacing strategy,, and you won't know for sure about that until Sunday morning. The 2007 runners had a 25 MPH cold sea breeze in their face their entire 26.2 of the point to point course.
            TryinBrian

Sincere thanks for the helpful advice. My short and mid range runs are not at maximum effort yet my long runs push me to the limit, which further skews the point that Jeff makes. I always assumed that this is caused by lack of miles and my inability to digest energy replenishment foods during the long run. I’ve trained this time with Clif Shot Bloks and they seem to work better for me. Yes Andre the ODM is my race. I read the comments regarding the wind, but after this past weekend and 50 mpg gusts, at least I have some exposure to it. Let’s hope for a tailwind this year.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, it'd be Christmas everyday.

Let’s hope for a tailwind this year.
                I'm with you brother I've run the 10 miler out and back in SIC in August most years and the wind can be significant,,, and thats in August on an out and back. March on a point to point course might be interesting. Friend on mine says it a PR course under favorable conditions and add 30 sec/mile if its bad. Good Luck