Trying running as a commute - also dirty marketing tricks by Ottawa Marathon (Read 1057 times)

So, getting out the door for running isn't happening - too much different about my new routine, I'm just out of all my habits. New city, new job, another new baby, etc.

Now I'm back to work after my parental leave and yesterday tried running home as my commute. At 19km it might have been a little ambitious as my first run since June, but if it's the only way I'm going to get running started again, I'll tough it out. My eventual goal is to take the bus one way and run the other 3 days a week and run both ways once a week, for just shy of 100km.

This is partially prompted by a postcard sent to me by the Ottawa Marathon - the front of it reads: 3:00:16. Those 16 seconds are some of the most frustrating in my life, and I must now destroy that time or find no peace. This may be the most brutally effective marketing strategy I've ever seen.

xor

What you are saying is that "Craig 3:00:16" has the same effect on you as "John 3:16" used to have on people.

But without, maybe, the rainbow wig.

Very inspiring.  Good luck.

an amazing likeness

There was a couple discussions about that (running to work, not the :16 thing...) a while ago.  Here's one.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

joescott

:17

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DanMoriarity

:10

I feel your pain. Good luck with your new changes and with getting the sub - 3!

I'm missing a reference on the rainbow wig.

Ran to work this morning, used my camelback backpack to carry phones, wallet, building pass, lunch etc. I left shower gear and a uniform here, so it worked fairly decent. I definitely need to carry water though, I didn't the first time, carried a bottle of gatorade today, I was faster and a big difference in how I feel, and I don't think it's the training effect from tuesday yet.

mikeymike

:17

True dat. Because nothing is worse than anything:00.0, trust me.

Runners run

xor

I'm missing a reference on the rainbow wig.

Ran to work this morning, used my camelback backpack to carry phones, wallet, building pass, lunch etc. I left shower gear and a uniform here, so it worked fairly decent. I definitely need to carry water though, I didn't the first time, carried a bottle of gatorade today, I was faster and a big difference in how I feel, and I don't think it's the training effect from tuesday yet.

There was a dude who used to come to sporting events with a rainbow wig and a sign reading "John 3:16" in an attempt to get on television.  Read about him here.  Every now and then, you will see references to this dude on things like The Simpsons.

Mikey, are you at Tribal Council in your avatar? 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

mikeymike

Yes I was voted off the monkey. The tribe has spoken.

Runners run

But you weren't fed to the monkeys.  Trent must be getting soft. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

jules2

Viichy I think it's a good plan what's the time difference between your normal commute and running the route?

I used to run to work and back and the  route ran through a country park and down the side of a canal but I gave it up, work that is not runningCool

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Viichy I think it's a good plan what's the time difference between your normal commute and running the route?

An extra half hour or so vs. using the bus, maybe 45min to an hour over driving. Also cheaper though.

I used to run to work and back and the  route ran through a country park and down the side of a canal but I gave it up, work that is not runningCool

Yes, I run alongside a river, and other than a km or two, my route is on nice paved trail. Crossing the bridge into Quebec is a pain though.

I tried running in the gym at work on the treadmill to avoid having to take all my running stuff and to try to have a shorter, easier run. Bad idea. I'm incapable of a steady pace run on a treadmill, I go bonkers. I have to push the buttons.  On the plus side, I still have the leg speed for my 1500 times, I think.

redleaf

Wow that's pretty awesome. I was interested in the thread from the title. My commute in is about 1/3 yours though :/ How old is your little one? My guy is almost two and that's made me try to restart running (currently doing a learn to run thing) I walk/run him to day care twice a week Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362