Things that make you swear when you run (Read 1729 times)

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Walkers who walk in packs and take an entire park path talking to each other, oblivious to the fact that other people in the community are using the park as well.

Water fountains that suddenly no longer work.

Long, deep puddles that entirely cover the running path.

Ice.

NHLA

Bird watchers. They block the trails and will not move.

bikers who can't say  on your left.

idiot drivers

Running Chick

oh boy......

• potholes.  
        • people with hyper dogs on loooooong leashes (and they think it is fun for their dog to jump on you, run with you), at least it quickens my pace  Smile  
        • friends who see you and they want to stop and chat (while you are compulsively timing yourself).  but i still love my non-running friends!  

that was fun!  love.

• people with hyper dogs on loooooong leashes (and they think it is fun for their dog to jump on you, run with you), at least it quickens my pace  Smile

this...and it's usually the people with the most hyper dogs that are the most oblivious when it comes to controlling them.

BeeRunB

When I can't get "I wanna be an airborne ranger, live a life of sex and danger" out of my head.

Lying to myself pisses me off.

Well, the sex part wouldn't be lying.

ultramarathon/triathlete

wait, boobs make you swear?

If "daaaaammmmnnn" counts, then yes, often.

What makes me mad though, smokers.  My 6 miles to work today I ran through at least a dozen clouds, run home will likely be the same. They stand around on the sidewalk puffing away, seem to always breathe out when you're about to pass.  Nasty.

Also, more so lately, really really fat people.  I'll be running and I see them wobbling along and I think REALLY, WTF PEOPLE!?!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

to add to the list:  people who try to stop you mid run to ask things (directions, sign a petition, etc.)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

DDXD

Slower than I look

My water bottle leaking out less than 2 miles into a 10+ mile run when I'm already thirsty.  Should have turned around but I'm a stubborn SOB.

Cars not respecting right of way in cross walks.

Lazy dog owners - seriously...wtf is it about you people thinking it's ok to let your dog have free reign on the path?!?

Mysecondnewname

Also, more so lately, really really fat people.  I'll be running and I see them wobbling along and I think REALLY, WTF PEOPLE!?!

With respect, some of those folks are really future runners.

I don't disparage anyone who's got the guts to get out there.

Arimathea

Tessa

Amen on the idiot drivers who look left to see if there are oncoming cars but never glance right to see if there is a pedestrian approaching.

The realization that what you did in the bathroom before the run was a down payment...and the balance is about to come due.

Waking up with the alarm and hearing the howl of Santa Ana winds outside. >60 mph winds are my least favourite running conditions at 4 AM.

People who throw fast food bags out of their car windows, spraying ketchup packets in all directions.

A lost dog. I've returned several of them to their owners. For some reason the owners aren't usually happy when the doorbell rings at 6 AM Sunday morning and it's a runner returning their dog.

Flexi-leashes. Inventions of the devil.

Amen on the idiot drivers who look left to see if there are oncoming cars but never glance right to see if there is a pedestrian approaching.

The realization that what you did in the bathroom before the run was a down payment...and the balance is about to come due.

Waking up with the alarm and hearing the howl of Santa Ana winds outside. >60 mph winds are my least favourite running conditions at 4 AM.

People who throw fast food bags out of their car windows, spraying ketchup packets in all directions.

A lost dog. I've returned several of them to their owners. For some reason the owners aren't usually happy when the doorbell rings at 6 AM Sunday morning and it's a runner returning their dog.

Flexi-leashes. Inventions of the devil.

After returning dogs to their owners dozens of times and getting little more than an "oh, ok," it was nice to find a very happy woman (who clearly doesn't run often) sprinting down the street in search of her dog the other day. I probably looked pretty strange in my compression socks, running shorts, and very bright and reflective half zip, carrying a 10 pound fluffy little dog. The outfit probably seemed liked overkill for someone out walking their dog (particularly because the dog wasn't even walking, I was carrying it.) But it was nice that someone actually seemed to (gasp!) care about their dog.

People who walk on the inside lane of the track when I'm running 800 or 1600 repeats make me swear in my head...people who do it while talking on their cell phones make we swear out loud!

PRs...

5k - 19:04

10k - 40:25

15k - 1:02:12

Half - 1:27:27

Full - 3:01:33
                        Goals...

5k - sub-19

10k - sub-40

15k - sub 1:01

Half - sub-1:27

Full - sub-3:00

Feeling the growl again

All drivers, people on cell phones, loose/untrained dogs, and people who think they are the center of the universe (weaving across sidewalks/trails, walking side-by-side blocking the path, stop or change direction for no reason without looking, etc etc).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Two things mainly.....

1.  Mainly older people (sorry, I am 44) that fail to swerve out and move over on the road when it is 4:30 in the AM and there is no fucking other soul out on the road. I mean, SHIT, people.......how many lanes do you have that are clearly empty that you could give to the fat guy in the ultra-bright reflective shit!?!?!?

2. Those douche bag truckers that almost take me out in the early mornings.  Again, marginal shoulders but not a single soul on the roads and I am absolutely positive I am a da-glow beacon that can be seen from about 30 miles away.

Move over you fuckers......I am already in the weeds and you have 2 to 4 lanes you can use!!!!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

With respect, some of those folks are really future runners.

I don't disparage anyone who's got the guts to get out there.

Amen.  Or, +1.   I tell everyone that I am "pro-movement".  If you are out there, moving around, you have my respect, no matter how much you weigh, how slow you run, how short the distance.  I know that for some people, the things that I take for granted in being able to do can be a huge challenge.  More power to them....

Amen.  Or, +1.   I tell everyone that I am "pro-movement".  If you are out there, moving around, you have my respect, no matter how much you weigh, how slow you run, how short the distance.  I know that for some people, the things that I take for granted in being able to do can be a huge challenge.  More power to them....

+2  Why would anyone have a problem with the sight of an overweight person exercising?  They're out there trying to improve themselves, just like we all are.  They deserve our praise, not ridicule.