Texas Independence Relay - Runner Found! (Read 734 times)

mbk

I'm captain for a Texas Independence Relay team and we have two runners who just dropped out yesterday. I may have one of their slots covered but I'm not sure. We would love to have someone join us. We are primarily a team of work colleagues, but we also have someone's wife and a customer running with us, so you won't feel left out. We are a pretty fun group of people, although after 30 hours of running I can't ensure we will continue to be fun. We have arranged for a twelve person team; if you join us you will run three legs totaling somewhere between 13 and 16 miles. My company has paid our race entry fee so all we are paying for are the travel and race costs (divided by 12). This will include van rental, hotel the night before the race, some essential team gear, fuel, etc. Each person is responsible for his or her own race kit and food, although we will have some community snacks and drinks in each vehicle. Due to the (lack of) speed of our team, and the race rules, we need someone who can average a 10:30 mile or better across his/her legs. There will be both day and night running; there will be plenty of safety gear (blinking LED lights, headlamps/flashlights, reflective vests and wristbands) for the nighttime legs. Transportation is available to and from the race from Dallas, Austin and San Antonio. If you are interested please email me at marshall [dot] king [at] gmail [dot] com. We can discuss specifics via email or phone. Thanks!
    JakeKnight

I'm very jealous. I grew up in Dallas and Houston and still have fond memories of 8th grade Texas history class (strangely, not all states have state focused history classes - nobody seemed to much care about Michigan history). This time of year I always think about the Alamo and Goliad and San Jacinto. Wish I could join you. I know there are a bunch of Texas runners here, including a lot of ultra guys. You may want to try hooking up with JLynnBob. He seems to know people in Texas, although I think he's in the DFW area. (If we had a private message system - ahem - you could contact him). Good luck. Post a race report when you do it. With pictures.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Len

Damn Yankee

Looks like a pretty cool race, but I have to work on the 1st (KKK coming to town- no shit). There are a bunch of Texas people here though, I bet you'll find some volunteers.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

mbk, I'd be interested and I'll shoot you an email later.

Vim

mbk

We filled our opening. Thanks, Modal!

Burninated Peasant

How'd it go?
                It went really well. The team, The Reluctant Runners Club, MBK headed up got 1st in the open corporate mixed division. I would not hesitate to be on another team with MBK. He did a great job as captain. Here are the preliminary results. http://www.run-far.com/results/2008_TIR_TEAM_RESULTS.HTM Chip time 31:59:36.80 Original Calculated Estimate (We all were running faster then expected) 34:49:46 I'll post a report later. (Hopefully someone will hold me to this!)

Vim

mbk

It went really well. The team, The Reluctant Runners Club, MBK headed up got 1st in the open corporate mixed division. I would not hesitate to be on another team with MBK. He did a great job as captain. Here are the preliminary results. http://www.run-far.com/results/2008_TIR_TEAM_RESULTS.HTM Chip time 31:59:36.80 Original Calculated Estimate (We all were running faster then expected) 34:49:46 I'll post a report later. (Hopefully someone will hold me to this!)
                  Thanks, Modal (blush). It was a GREAT time and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again next year. For such a large and complex event it was very well organized and there were really very few problems. Some of the last legs were not very scenic or pleasant, but there was some great running. Thanks to Modal for stepping up at the last minute and doing a great job. He ran hard on all his legs and helped bring our time down. Hopefully Modal will post his pictures soon. Here are some pictures from another teammate.

You'll ruin your knees!

He ran hard on all his legs
                    Just how many legs does Modal have? Confused

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Just how many legs does Modal have? Confused
                      I had 3. Big grin

Vim

Burninated Peasant

I had 3. Big grin
                        How many did you finish with?